Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Fayette County)

Question Out of State F2F Law?

I have been hearing conflicting answers regarding a person buying a firearm F2F out of his state of residence.

For instance, I thought as a PA resident I could go to say Ohio or West Virginia and buy a rifle in a face to face transaction.

What do you folks think?
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Out of State F2F Law?

Interstate transfers require a FFL per Federal regulations. Long guns can go through a FFL in either state. Handguns have to go through a FFL in the buyer's state.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by bdevil73 View Post
    Interstate transfers require a FFL per Federal regulations. Long guns can go through a FFL in either state. Handguns have to go through a FFL in the buyer's state.

But is it actually considered "interstate transfer". Since I would be IN in another state buying the firearm. Its not like I am having it shipped to my state.

I also had someone tell me that if a F2F for long guns are legal in my home state, then I could do a F2F in the other state.

Any links that I could read the law for myself?
    Thanks.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    But is it actually considered "interstate transfer". Since I would be IN in another state buying the firearm. Its not like I am having it shipped to my state.

I also had someone tell me that if a F2F for long guns are legal in my home state, then I could do a F2F in the other state.

Any links that I could read the law for myself?
    Thanks.
    Any transfer between residents of different states is considered an interstate transfer regardless of your physical location. Sorry, no links hanfy right now. I thgink there might be a sticky somewhere with the relevant links.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by bdevil73 View Post
    Any transfer between residents of different states is considered an interstate transfer regardless of your physical location. Sorry, no links hanfy right now. I thgink there might be a sticky somewhere with the relevant links.
    I understand what your saying.

Thanks for they info and advice.

I sure wish it didnt matter though.

(Jefferson County)

bdevil is right on the money. The laws regarding interstate transfers were made with the Gun Control Act of 1968, and are incorporated into US Statutes Title 18, Chapter 44. I think 18.44.922 is the section of law governing such things(without looking it up, am at work - cant check).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    bdevil is right on the money. The laws regarding interstate transfers were made with the Gun Control Act of 1968, and are incorporated into US Statutes Title 18, Chapter 44. I think 18.44.922 is the section of law governing such things(without looking it up, am at work - cant check).
    Here's the law (18 USC 922(a)(3)) that knight0334 refers to. It makes it a Federal crime for the buyer to bring the firearm back into his home state.

18 USC § 922. Unlawful acts

(a) It shall be unlawful—
    (3) for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, the State where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State, except that this paragraph (A) shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in that State, (B) shall not apply to the transportation or receipt of a firearm obtained in conformity with subsection (b)(3) of this section, and (C) shall not apply to the transportation of any firearm acquired in any State prior to the effective date of this chapter;
    IANAL

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Here's the law (18 USC 922(a)(3)) that knight0334 refers to. It makes it a Federal crime for the buyer to bring the firearm back into his home state.
    dammit.. I shoulda used that lucky guess on the PowerBall numbers for Wednesday..

Thanks for digging that up, tl_3237.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!