Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Question VTac sling question

OK, so I finally decided what sling I wanted to get for the AR after some research (thanks Poofa for the threads on this subject). After sitting down with the thing for a few minutes I realized that the tension release was pretty far under my armpit just like Legion Prime said it might (I'm 6'4", 240). So I went back to adjusting and let some slack out of the back and took it up with the front......gravy!

Now as I'm mall ninjaing it up in the living room, I notice that when the rifle hangs down, cinched up or not, my (badger) tactical CH latch tends to want to release the charging handle because it protrudes out far enough that it is the only thing on the rifle that has much contact (near the receiver) with my chest. Now I don't know about you guys but I have never had a CH come back and smack me on the nose, and I don't intend to try it out.

Granted, when I first was trying this sling out I had the bolt open, and after I closed it the handle stayed put. But just the fact that it is a possibility is causing me some concern. Anyone have any ideas? If I have to switch back to the stock CH release then I suppose I will do that, but I would rather not as I like the fact that its size makes it so much easier to charge the weapon.

Any Ideas?
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(York County)

Default Re: VTac sling question

Nothing? Synergy, Unloved, LRT? any advice on wether on not the tac latch is even worth it?
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Allegheny County)

Jump around a bit and roll on the floor with the gun strapped on. You won't learn anything from it, but it will entertain the family dog. If it releases the CH, then ditch the latch, it ain't worth a bloody nose.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by YBNORMAL View Post
    Nothing? Synergy, Unloved, LRT? any advice on wether on not the tac latch is even worth it?
    Sorry, I don't really check in over here much anymore.

That's why I don't run oversized latches...it's too easy to have that happen.

The BCM Gunfighter latches are supposed to be a better compromise.
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-G...%204%20556.htm
    They are certainly more robust. I haven't found a need to go to one, as I don't karate chop the charging handle like some guys do.

I either use the bolt release paddle, or use my RH to straddle the charging handle, as it was designed to work.

IMHO, anytime I need to fix my carbine in a hurry, I ought to be going to my pistol anyway. Shaving tenths off of my malfunction clearing times just isn't worth buying new parts, for me. I don't see myself being in a "time is life" gunfight with my carbine, but not my pistol. I reckon I'll likely be behind cover before I try to go fixing anything on my carbine.

BUT I'm taking a carbine course that DPB is putting on in April, so maybe my opinions will change after that.
    http://www.firearmstrainingandtactic...il-2010&p=1297
    At the intro rate he's offering, I think it's a great opportunity for folks to get some carbine training under their belt, who would otherwise not be able to commit to a weekend course out of state.

(Allegheny County)

I'll be at that course
    and FIRE Inst. Carbine I this year.

OP, I got rid of my badger for the same reason. I dont need a larger latch, but besides the BCM syn mentioned I like the PRI Big Latch, and it doesnt stick out as far, and wont dig into your chest.

(Bucks County)

Sorry, when it comes to carbines, I'm not the guy to ask. I haven't had any training in the area yet. Hoping to correct that soon, but...

(Luzerne County)

Another "not a fan" of "tac-latches".

Ambi-latch or std for me.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(York County)

Ok guys, thanks for the input, I am on the cusp of getting to a carbine course. I am trying to get the stuff together that I might want or need equipment wise to go to something like that. I remember talking to Synergy and DK90king about some issues I might have at a training course.

Thanks again fellas
    Ayn Rand

(Chester County)

Ok guys, thanks for the input, I am on the cusp of getting to a carbine course. I am trying to get the stuff together that I might want or need equipment wise to go to something like that. I remember talking to Synergy and DK90king about some issues I might have at a training course.

Thanks again fellas
    If you're interested in doing the 1 day with RZS (DPB's company), just shoot him a PM here or there. I remember the conversation we had, and I don't see it being an issue for you.

If you're interested, give DPB a shout...I'm sure he'll put your mind at ease about attending.

(Blair County)

You just can't buy that kind of advertising.

If I understand correctly, the latch was coming unlatched with the bolt locked to the rear. I really don't think this is a problem. First, you don't run around with the gun that way. Second, when the bolt is closed, you can pick up the gun by the charging handle and the gun isn't heavy enough to open the action.

I'm confused by the concern about the charging handle coming back and smacking you in the nose. Even if you removed the latch completely, the charging handle won't reciprocate. It may move slightly and slam back, but it's not coming back hard. If the latch (any latch) is intact, the spring tension on the bolt will lock it closed. If, somehow, the gun fires with the charging handle unlatched, you have much bigger problems, because your gun is now firing out of battery, and that could get exciting pretty fast.

The big latch may catch on stuff, and that may, in and of itself, be an issue, and possibly enough reason to run something else.

Right now, I'm a big fan of the smaller version of the BCM charging handle. Yes, it's $45, and yes, that sucks, but it's a big improvement over even the PRI Gasbuster, which, in turn, was a big improvement over a standard charging handle, with or without an enlarged latch.

For what it's worth, I'll have at least one gun with a BCM CH at the class, and I may even let other people touch it, if they wash their hands first.

Sometimes I even make myself laugh.
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast