Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Tioga County)

Default New to PA, Looking to Hunt in Tioga

Hello all, I recently moved here from Steuben county, NY. I have hunted in NY all of my life.

Anyway, I just moved to Wellsboro, PA with my wife, and I am looking for a good place to hunt.

I am a member of "Lambs Creek" shooting range. In Mansfield, PA.

I am mostly interested in hunting big game due to the fact that the only rifle I have is my long range competition rifle chambered in .270 Winchester.

Any suggestions would be most welcomed.

And Thank you in advance!

(Tioga County)

Default Re: New to PA, Looking to Hunt in Tioga

Welcome to Tioga Co. I live outside Wellsboro. Hope you have lots of time and patience. The deer herd around here is very poor in population. There has been to many doe's taken over the years and hunting is very poor. Most locations of private land is posted. A few bad apples spoiled it for all. Years ago we would see as many as 50 deer along the driveway, now we see nothing. Actually see more bear than deer. This could be some of the reason the deer are few as well.
    bearclaw@epix.net email me if you wish.
    Bill

(Tioga County)

Thanks for the reply!

That is very unfortunate

However, I do have patience, I have hunted on NY State land all my live, with a hunter every 100 yards or so.

My wife's family has some land outside of Mansfield. I am hoping to organize a few hunts this fall.I haven't seen any deer up there, but from what you said, it might be good, all things being considered.

Anyway, if you ever want to get together to shoot or hunt, drop me a PM. I work from home, so I have every day off... heh

(Allegheny County)

Welcome Welcome! just curious what type of action is your .270?
    Dont Forget To Give Me Some Good Rep! Thanks!

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by BandanaBandit1 View Post
    Welcome Welcome! just curious what type of action is your .270?
    It's a Savage 116FCSS Accustock(Aluminum Bedded) & Has the Accutrigger set to 1.75lbs.

So far I have a Harris 9x13 Bipod,
    Burris XTR 2 Piece Mounts,
    Burris XTR 1/2" Medium "tactical" rings,
    Nikon Monarch 4-16x40mm?? scope,
    ETC.

I can hit a 12x12" steel gong at 600 yards every time, but I either need to find some match .270s or start handloading to go any further.

(Tioga County)

Smile Re: New to PA, Looking to Hunt in Tioga

Just got in from plowing snow. Nice driftes, had a few 6' deep. Saw no deer, guess they are smarter than me. LOL Email me bearclaw@epix.net keep in touch. I had my own gun shop for a few years and still lik eto work with firearms. I shoot almost every weekend. We have our own trap field and just up the rouad is Thunder Ridge sporting clays. So I have lots of access to shooting.
    Bill

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayAlon View Post
    Hello all, I recently moved here from Steuben county, NY. I have hunted in NY all of my life.

Anyway, I just moved to Wellsboro, PA with my wife, and I am looking for a good place to hunt.

I am a member of "Lambs Creek" shooting range. In Mansfield, PA.

I am mostly interested in hunting big game due to the fact that the only rifle I have is my long range competition rifle chambered in .270 Winchester.

Any suggestions would be most welcomed.

And Thank you in advance!

wow you have a big change in store loo. I used to live in Cattaraugus County NY and moved down here to PA back in 1992 and have bounced between Erie,Warren and now im about 1 hour south of you in Williamsport. He was not kidding about more limited deer...verse yourself in PA game and fish laws if you fish they are quite "strange" and different from NY's..as in your license renewal is in the middle of the summer here not right before hunting season like in NY...well at least now they switched the doe and buck seasons to coincide like normal lol...all I used to hear was all I saw in Buck season was Does and doe season was bucks..heck back then I didnt even bother buying a PA license id just drive up over the boarder to my sisters in Elmira and hunt BOTH AT THE SAME TIME lol....but they finally fixed that..but the herds are less here and will require you do good pre season set ups. one nice thing and what will keep me in PA is they are MUCH,MUCH,MUCH more gun friendly especially when it comes to CC.

(Lehigh County)

THERE ARE DEER ON SOME PARCELS OF LAND AROUND MANSFIELD IF YOU ARE HUNTING PRIVATE PROPERTY.THERE ARE ALSO MANY GAME LANDS AROUND WELLSBORO WHERE YOU CAN FIND TURKEYS /BEARS.BUT DO NOT HUNT DEER ON THE GAME LANDS THEY ARE SCARCE.IF YOU CAN FIND BARBERRY BUSHES YOU WILL FIND GROUSE ALSO.COYOTES WOULD ALSO BE A BONUS HUNT ALSO.DON'T FORGET THE GREAT TROUT FISHING IN THE PINE CREEK/ PA GRAND CANYON,IF YOU HAVE A BOAT TRY BEECHWOOD LAKE.WE ALSO HARVESTED 5 RABBITS IN 2 DAYS OF HUNTING.

(Tioga County)

If you live in wellsboro you could drive and hour to the pheonix run rd just the other side of potter county line there are deer there and lots of bear. they get push around quite a bit with the hunters and a 270 is plenty but I suggest 150 grain bullets up there it's quite brushy