Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Glocks & having to move sights

How many people have had move your stock glock sights?

I put about 300 rnds through my G27 and found that it grouped consistently 6 inches left and 8 inches low. I've been shooting at about 20 yrds.

So I moved the rear sight all the way to the right, flush with the edge of the slide and put a couple more hundred rounds through it. That seemed to put me center.

To hit center in elevation, I have to have the top of the front dot level with the top of the plastic on the rear sight. This leaves about 1 mm of black front sight above the rear sight (everything is not level across). Seems odd to me.

I guess my plan is to remove the front sight and file the base down to lower it and bring my group up. I'm not looking to shoot competitions with this thing but it takes such an odd sight picture for it to hit center I'd just rather get it dialed in.

I shot my wife's M&P9C and it was dead-on, so I don't think it's my technique.

Anyone else have their Glock not quite right 'out of the box'?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Glocks & having to move sights

I also have my rear sight drifted flush with the right side of my slide although elevation is perfect. Try some different loads, you may find one that is right. If that doesn't work for you, you could buy a different height front sight from glock. I bought a metal front sight when my plastic one fell off and it was only about $10.00

(Chester County)

Targets look somewhat like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Allegheny County)

if it really is the sights, i would send the glock back to glock and ask them to fix it. (their customer service is great).

however, many people shoot glocks low and to the left at first...even people who do not shoot other guns low and left. if you happen to know any avid glock shooters, have them shoot it and see if it does it for them.

also check to see if the front sight is straight. i have seen cases where night sights were installed, and the front sight was not parallel to the slide and, so the rear sight had to be drifted all the way to one side to make up for the front dot being too far to that side.
    F*S=k

(Monroe County)

hate to say it but it might be the barrel. it happens sometimes. might wanna try a new barrel and see if that changes anything. I know its not the cheapest fix, but I've known a few people with different makes of guns that have had the same thing happen, they switched the barrel and it was dead on.

something to think about. if ya know someone with the same gun see if they'll let you try their barrel out and see if that fixes the problem.

I don't know the OP or what his shooting skill level is. A low left grouping with a new G27 to me would be consistant with a poor trigger squeeze. Comparing the G27 recoil to that of the M and P that he described is not even in the same ball park. I would have some other folks try shooting it before sending it out to Glock or replacing/filing sights. Again, I am not bashing the OP as I stated I don't know what his skill level is. I hate to see him do things that are not required, become comfortable with the snappy G27 and have to replace things that were not "broken" to begin with.
    Jules

(Chester County)

If the gun was that far off, it wouldn't cycle. The sides of the barrel hood would be binding on the breech face when it went to lock-up.

I would have a shooter who shoots Glocks well, and often, shoot your weapon and see where it groups for them. I can count the number of semi-autos which I've come across that required that their sights be somewhere other than the center of the slide on 1 hand.

The Glock trigger has travel while it's at full weight....a lot of shooters are not used to that, and their flich becomes more noticeable than it would with a SAO pistol, like the M&P or 1911.

(Lawrence County)

I had to adjust my G35 sights with my reloads.

While I agree that we should confirm it's not the shooter, I've seen several guns shoot that far left or right at 20 yards. It's not common, but not outside possibility.

Lycanfewthingsareabsolutethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Erie County)

Shoot it with your weak hand. If it groups the same, it's probably the gun. If it doesn't, it's probably the shooter.

You need to shoot this thing off a bench rest and make sure it's not you. It could be the gun but I would be surprised. I have a tendency to shoot to the left with my G17 and it's not the gun. If I focus and let the gun surprise me it's dead on. It's probably just your grip and maybe you need to put more of your finger on the trigger (try pushing your finger through so it's almost to the first joint). I also think with me I'm gripping too hard with my weak hand which is pulling the gun left the split second it fires. The vertical problem, not sure. Usually it's caused by jerking the trigger/tightening your grip as you pull the trigger. Hope this helps.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast