Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Wild Pigs and Wild Boar

I watched "Pig Bomb" on discovery a while ago and has I stated before I kind of lost my taste for hunting. After watching what a mess those things make I think I would hunt them. I think Alabama or one of the Carolinas has the biggest problem. Since they are not game animals they can be hunted year round ? I know a guy in the Carolinas Ill have to ask him if he sees them at all. I couldnt believe the size of some of those things. As of yet theres no pig problem in Pa. is there? das
    [SIGPIC]

(Berks County)

Default Re: Wild Pigs and Wild Bore

No pig problem.

(Berks County)

I hunted wild boar in florida with my american bulldog and a knife. Now thats a hunt.

(Bucks County)

I've been hearing rumors of a pig problem getting started in PA. As I understand it, pigs are considered a nuisance species by PGC and licensed hunters are encouraged to kill any they see. Except, in three counties. I believe the counties were Westmoreland , Greene, and I don't recall the third. I understood this to be because PGC was initiating a trpping program there to identify where these pigs came from.

I may be wrong, cold medicine makes me stupid, more so than usual.

Thumbs up Re: Wild Pigs and Wild Bore

Quote Originally Posted by busa dave View Post
    I hunted wild boar in florida with my american bulldog and a knife. Now thats a hunt.
    Now thats a real man there. How did youre dog do? uninjured I hope. How big was the bore? Are the teeth as nasty has they say? Well done on youre hunt! das
    Last edited by das; February 22nd, 2010 at 07:07 PM. Reason: missed words
    [SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by AxiTech View Post
    I've been hearing rumors of a pig problem getting started in PA. As I understand it, pigs are considered a nuisance species by PGC and licensed hunters are encouraged to kill any they see. Except, in three counties. I believe the counties were Westmoreland , Greene, and I don't recall the third. I understood this to be because PGC was initiating a trpping program there to identify where these pigs came from.

I may be wrong, cold medicine makes me stupid, more so than usual.
    I hear they are a major problem where they already established. Supposidly they are spreading like locusts. I would like to hunt for them, but I think Ill stick with a rifle no knife for me thanks.
    [SIGPIC]

I hunt pigs lots of ways, with firearms, dogs & knives, dogs & firearms, etc. Feral hogs are ALWAYS a problem, if they're not "established" they will be soon enough. I think that pretty much every single state that has feral hogs, has problems. Here in Texas, they're a BIG problem, they pretty much cover half of the state now, or almost, and we're a much larger state than many of the ones you mentioned. This is estimates from 2004, so states that truly have a problem, I'd say Texas, Cali, and Florida, with Texas and Cali being quite a bit larger then Florida.

If you're hunting pigs with dogs enough, they WILL get cut. There's a reason that they put kevlar on dogs, and even then they sometimes get killed. I've never known anybody that seriously hunted feral hogs with a single dog. To be honest, most hogs will take apart a single dog; I've seen them take apart packs of dogs (4). Catch dogs usually grab their ears or throat, and the the others grab on too. I've seen pigs rip their own ears off and get after dogs. I've seen dogs thrown over 10ft into the air doing flips. Feral hogs are NOT a joke.

Not all feral hogs have "tusks", but even when they don't, they bite and will cut you with their "normal teeth". The tusks is something that comes along with the Russian bore traits. Used to, we didn't see that many pigs with tusks, but it's getting more common; I'd say it's a bit over 1/3 of the pigs I see that have tusks, but not quite a half. Their teeth are NASTY, every bit as nasty as they say. I can't explain to you how sharp the edges and points of them are, and how quickly they slash with them. When you get close to pigs, and are around them long enough, you get to hear them "click" their teeth. It's pretty creepy when you kind of think about those tusks, clicking, and what can happen to you. Hunting pigs can be dangerous, and you CAN get killed doing it. It's not something that I'd recommend inexperienced people jump into alone. Sure it's fun, but people get really careless about it, and think that nothing can happen to them. If a pig gets a hold of you, 15-20 stitches or staples means you got out REALLY lucky. Out in the open the like to run, but you get one injured or cornered and it's a COMPLETELY different story. The Russian traits are also making the pigs more aggressive and more ready to stand their ground and fight, than run.

The problem with pigs is that at first nobody sees them, or just a few of them, but there's already a ton of them. Pretty soon 2 pigs have a minimum of 6 pigs per litter, then they're having 2-3 litters a year. 2 pigs turns into hundreds VERY quickly, do the math if you like; just remember they're growing exponentially. Oh and the young ones come into sexual maturity in less than a year also . If they have grain for food, water, and cover, they flourish. There are very few natural predators of feral hogs, and even the ones that do exist, barely put a dent in the population. They're ALWAYS a problem, and it's just a matter of time once they get established. Kill them while you still have a chance.

(Indiana County)

Wild hogs exist in some parts of Pa. You must be legally hunting something else to shoot one. Can annyone say BACON!!!!!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by YosemiteSam View Post
    Wild hogs exist in some parts of Pa. You must be legally hunting something else to shoot one. Can annyone say BACON!!!!!
    "What do you mean ground hogs dont live in the woods?" hahah
    Semper Fi

(Allegheny County)

The "bore" you are discussing is actually spelled "boar".

Thread title corrected.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast