Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default AR-15 trigger won't reset (UPDATED)

I just took my AR-15 to the range for the first time to make sure that everything worked.

It didn't.

The first round worked beautifully. The bolt cycled, the brass was ejected, the next round was chambered and everything looked good. Then I pulled the trigger.

Nothing. The safety might as well have been on, because there was absolutely no movement in the trigger at all. I flipped it to safe and then I heard a "twang." I flipped it back to fire and the gun fired.

So now after every single round I have to cycle the selector from fire to safe to fire and then it works. Each time it goes from fire to safe there's a small twang (or snap) and the trigger is free to fire again.Since I put the thing together I figured I screwed something up.

Any ideas on what might be the cause? What should I look for? More importantly, how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Update: It arrived at Del-Ton this morning and I just got an e-mail saying it's shipping back out tomorrow. Hopefully by Thursday I'll have it back and know if they replaced the lower or it if was the trigger itself that was out of spec.

So at least Del-Ton has quick turnaround time for RMA's. The only negative so far is that customers have to pay to ship defective parts back.
    Last edited by lexnaturalis; March 1st, 2010 at 05:22 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: AR-15 trigger won't reset

I think the problem you are having is the disconector needs timed watch the videos on this page http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.8.1_fc.php
    Last edited by winchester70; February 22nd, 2010 at 04:53 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by lexnaturalis View Post
    I just took my AR-15 to the range for the first time to make sure that everything worked.

It didn't.

The first round worked beautifully. The bolt cycled, the brass was ejected, the next round was chambered and everything looked good. Then I pulled the trigger.

Nothing. The safety might as well have been on, because there was absolutely no movement in the trigger at all. I flipped it to safe and then I heard a "twang." I flipped it back to fire and the gun fired.

So now after every single round I have to cycle the selector from fire to safe to fire and then it works. Each time it goes from fire to safe there's a small twang (or snap) and the trigger is free to fire again.Since I put the thing together I figured I screwed something up.

Any ideas on what might be the cause? What should I look for? More importantly, how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance.
    That is how the weapon is designed... this will prevent you from firing 300 rounds from the hip with out aiming or reloading... Didn't you read the manual???

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself... I would guess that you have something installed incorrectly.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Allegheny County)

Did you build the lower yourself?
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by winchester70 View Post
    I think the problem you are having is the disconector needs timed watch the videos on this page http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.8.1_fc.php
    That looks like exactly what my problem is. Thanks!

Of course, since I don't have a belt sander it looks like I'll have to pay a gunsmith to fix my problem

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    Did you build the lower yourself?
    Yes.

Based upon the video from the JP Rifles site it looks like the hammer is being caught by the disconnector and so it's not resetting. I won't know for sure until I get home and take it apart.

(Westmoreland County)

I had the same thing happen on the AR i built. I don't have a belt sander either so i put the disconnector in a vise and used a fine file then polished with jewelers rouge on a piece of leather. It did not take much filling at all if you take the upper off and watch the hammer catch on the disconnector you can see about how much needs removed. Follow the video it is very simple.

(Centre County)

Follow-up question: After watching a few more videos I'm concerned that my trigger is too tight. When I watch the Brownells video on how to build an AR-15 the trigger seems to drop nicely into the lower receiver, whereas mine was a bit tight. I had to push a bit hard to push it down into the receiver. The trigger didn't move freely forward or back. There was a bit of pressure required to do that.

Is that normal or is there potentially a problem with the trigger itself?

(Allegheny County)

Mine dropped right in. Are you sure you got all the parts and pieces in the right place?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by GuyMontag View Post
    Mine dropped right in. Are you sure you got all the parts and pieces in the right place?
    Ditto, that is what I was going to ask.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast