Default Dumb Primer Questions

9mm takes standard (non-magnum) small pistol
    45 ACP takes standard (non-magnum) large pistol
    5.56x45 takes standard (non-magnum) small rifle
    7.62x51 takes standard (non-magnum) large rifle

Is the above correct?

(York County)

Default Re: Dumb Primer Questions

I can verify the .45 and 5.56 as being correct.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Allegheny County)

9mm is correct too.
    for the 5.56/.223 wolf makes a small rifle magnum that is recommended [edit] over their regular small rifle primer [/edit] for AR's to avoid slam fires. It's got the same 'power', just a harder cup. They really should have called it something else, like, i dunno, 'hard cup small rifle'
    Last edited by ham385; February 21st, 2010 at 04:01 PM. Reason: clarification

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ham385 View Post
    9mm is correct too.
    for the 5.56/.223 wolf makes a small rifle magnum that is recommended [edit] over their regular small rifle primer [/edit] for AR's to avoid slam fires. It's got the same 'power', just a harder cup. They really should have called it something else, like, i dunno, 'hard cup small rifle'
    Any downside in using magnum primers where they are not needed?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    As I understand, the use of the word 'Magnum' is not regulated/standardized so it means different things with different manufacturers.
    Increased power could equal increased pressures, so I've always stuck with the recommended recipe. When I bought the wolf SRM's, I checked, double checked, and triple checked to confirm.

I'm a N00B, so please don't take my word as gospel. I've been reloading 9mm and .223 for almost a year so I was able to make my first post, but in reference to your question, I don't think I could truthfully and completely answer it without possibly falsely stating something.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    The biggest downside is blowing up your gun.

The magnum primers are designed to burn hotter and longer than traditional primers in order to properly ignite large amounts of slow burning powders. Using magnum primers in place of non-magnum primers will increase pressures. It is possible to use magnum primers (not recommended) by decreasing the minimum load by 5 to 10 percent... though I've never tried, and don't plan to.
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

(Delaware County)

Question Re: Dumb Primer Questions

I bought large pistol primers the other day, the shop had about 4 different brand names of each. I got CCI large pistol standard. Each brand had a large pistol standard and a large pistol magnum.

Winchester's large pistol stated on the box for standard OR magnum loads.
    What the heck? ( So you don't think I'm crazy, punch it up on Midway's site and look at the picture of the Winchester Large Pistol Primer and it says it right on the box )

Whats up with that? Is it somewhere in the middle of std. and magnum and works for each? Even the guy at the shop was like... Huh?

They get great reviews, but I didn't see where somebody commented on them being for either std. or mag.

9mm takes standard (non-magnum) small pistol
    45 ACP takes standard (non-magnum) large pistol
    5.56x45 takes standard (non-magnum) small rifle
    7.62x51 takes standard (non-magnum) large rifle

Is the above correct?

Yes. Loading manuals suggest magnum primers in other calibers with certain powder combinations.

for the 5.56/.223 wolf makes a small rifle magnum that is recommended [edit] over their regular small rifle primer [/edit] for AR's to avoid slam fires.

I have no experience with Wolf primers so I can't speak for this. I've used CCI primers alomost exclusively for over 30 years and have no incidents with slam fires with 223/5.56 with this combo. The only 223/5.56 firearm I've known to slam fire with factory rounds is the Steyr AUG.

I think most slam fires with ARs are due to the primer not being properly seated. I have never seen this happen with any AR with factory or properly handloaded ammo over 30+ years.

Winchester's large pistol stated on the box for standard OR magnum loads.
    What the heck? ( So you don't think I'm crazy, punch it up on Midway's site and look at the picture of the Winchester Large Pistol Primer and it says it right on the box

Standard primers work well with magnum loads of a faster powder like Unique in 357 or 44. I have used them for years. Magnum primers are needed for slower powders like W296 or 2400 in 357 or 44. As I said above loading manuals will advise you on this.

(Delaware County)

Question Re: Just Wonderin' Dumb Primer Questions

Standard primers work well with magnum loads of a faster powder like Unique in 357 or 44. I have used them for years. Magnum primers are needed for slower powders like W296 or 2400 in 357 or 44. As I said above loading manuals will advise you on this.[/QUOTE]

I know the manuals and the load data will say which to use... My point with posting was about Winchester's Large Pistol primers specifically. With their box labeled to use them for standard OR magnum loads, seems like they'd be the ONE primer to get and cover both bases.

Pretty good idea if it'll work on both. Makes me wonder why all the others have separate mag. and std. primers.

It's just the first time I noticed that, and like I said on my post, the guy behind the counter (at a busy reloading supply shop) was surprised it said for both.

Has anybody here used the Winchester primer making up large pistol rounds, standard and magnum and used the Winchester LP primer to work on both??

How'd they work?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast