Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default First time shooting

So, in an effort to feel more comfortable with my new acquaintance, I went up to CP today to put s few rounds through her. I chewed through 100 rounds of FMJ and 20 of my HS hollow points. I hung onto the other 30 rounds because I want to keep two clip's worth on me.

I felt a bit awkward, since it was my first time buying time at a range. I felt even more like a jackass when I didn't make sure the clip was all the way in the gun, and it slipped out when I raised it to look down the barrel. >.< I won't be making THAT mistake again. These are the reasons I will be taking several training classes after I get out of the hospital.

Otherwise, all went well - I felt pretty comfortable with controlling the muzzle, if a bit stiff, and I'm apparently able to put all 15 rounds into a man-sized target from 25 yards. I'm looking forward to being able to shoot a 3" or 4" spread at that distance as I shoot more and go get some training, but for now, maybe I'm not off to a bad start.

(Berks County)

Default Re: First time shooting

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    I felt even more like a jackass when I didn't make sure the clip was all the way in the gun, and it slipped out when I raised it to look down the barrel. >.< I won't be making THAT mistake again. These are the reasons I will be taking several training classes after I get out of the hospital.
    Did the clip land on your toe or something?

Practice. I guess sometimes a rough start makes a more accomplished good ending/future. (sounds like something i would have done lol)

(Monroe County)

I felt even more like a jackass when I didn't make sure the clip was all the way in the gun, and it slipped out when I raised it to look down the barrel. >.<
    do you mean when you raised it to look down the slide?!!!...I surely hope you weren't looking down the barrel of a gun with a magazine installed and not cleared!!!!!!...or, actually, not field stripped!

you know what though....keep practicing and you'll be fine...just be careful and congrats on your new addiction!
    Last edited by CHEMICAL; February 21st, 2010 at 02:56 PM.

(Monroe County)

[QUOTE=ViperGTS19801;1107893]I felt a bit awkward, since it was my first time buying time at a range. I felt even more like a jackass when I didn't make sure the clip was all the way in the gun, and it slipped out when I raised it to look down the barrel. >.< I won't be making THAT mistake again. These are the reasons I will be taking several training classes after I get out of the hospital.

Why, exactly were you looking down the barrel of a loaded gun? or an almost loaded gun, anyways? you coulda put your eye out,man! don't do that again! silly rabbit.
    Don't take anything I say seriously, unless I say seriously. Seriously.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by sublime1 View Post
    Why, exactly were you looking down the barrel of a loaded gun? or an almost loaded gun, anyways? you coulda put your eye out,man! don't do that again! silly rabbit.
    It wasn't loaded the "clip" fell out.

(Clinton County)

(Monroe County)

or "banana clip"

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    maybe his new carry piece is a clip-fed broomhandle mauser?
    Don't take anything I say seriously, unless I say seriously. Seriously.

So, in an effort to feel more comfortable with my new acquaintance, I went up to CP today to put s few rounds through her.
    If only I would have known. I stopped at CP around noon to see if they have what I'm currently looking for. Just the usual social visit. I try not to shoot on weekends, but in this case I would have made an exception.

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

(Delaware County)

DAMMIT JAN! I shoulda let you know ahead of time.

Okay, let me clear a few things up here since I did not use proper terminology -

First things first, I wasn't "looking down the barrel" in the way you think - I was ironsighting and bringing the weapon up to level at my target. Jesus, I'm not dumb enough to look down the business end of the thing - sorry if that was unclear. I felt like a complete noob when I started to pull the trigger and the magazine slid out and bounced off my shoe.

And secondly, I know the difference between a magazine and a clip - I used the wrong term. My apologies. I'm trying very hard to separate the two terms since I've always hear it referred to as a 'clip', but I learned the error of that recently and have been making an effort to correct myself.

Finally, the hospital reference is for my upcoming brain surgery on Tuesday - I won't be back out and about until at least mid-/late-March.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast