Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Mugging in East Stroudsburg 2/20

Names will be excluded from this story as I did not ask permission to post any information here.

I encountered a man yesterday while indulging in recreational firearms activities. He told me his story:

Saturday morning, 2/20, around 3 AM this gentleman was at the pocono medical center with some friend or relative, didn't specify. He walked outside to go buy a pack of cigarettes at the gas station across the street. As he was making his way over, a group of males approached him from the rear and black jacked him from behind. As he fell to the ground they started stomping and kicking his face and torso, in an attempt to grab his necklace. As this happened two employees at the gas station saw what was happening and ran outside and started screaming at them. They quickly disbanded and took off on foot without his property, luckily, but not before they left his face bloodied and his body beaten.

The police were called, and arrived promptly on scene. However, the man who was mugged said "not fast enough to stop what happened". He said they apprehended one of the males, just a few blocks away, but the two others attackers evaded police.

I doubt this story will be making the local paper, as I assume the majority of crimes never will. I felt it was necessary to let local members chew on something for a while, that there is indeed a violent criminal element active within the area. Just a reminder. Keep your situational awareness up, stay armed, and stay safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Mugging in East Stroudsburg 2/20

Thanks for posting this. Lord knows that the retard would never post anything about this. God forbid that the people in the area know what a shit hole this place is turning in to.

This is also the reason why while I am unable to arm myself right now my personal "armed" security takes me everywhere

(Monroe County)

I was at the emergency room on tuesday, and was happy to see that there were pamphlets on all of the tables in the waiting room regarding the DofC vs. Heller case. Good reading material while waiting to be seen by a doc.
    I was ccing at the time and thought about what i would do if i had an encounter, in which i had to defend myself, since i was at the ER for a strong hand injury. (I posted a thread about it on tues) Apparently criminals have no morals( who woulda thunk it?), as they prey upon people that are coming from the hospital.
    I removed the cast from my hand and only have it bandaged, b/c i'm strapped for cash right now and can't afford a lefty holster. The way i see it, Id rather be in pain from my injury, than be helpless against violent criminals since they view injured individuals as easy targets.
    Too bad this guy wasn't packing. If he was, I'm sure you would be reading about it in the paper today. I could see the headlines now," three dead after beating vicims face in and he fights back".
    I'm sure it was a real eye opener for him. I bet that he's packing heat next time.
    Don't take anything I say seriously, unless I say seriously. Seriously.

(Lackawanna County)

Sucks to hear, but I'm glad he got away with (what seems to be) minimal injuries. Goes to show how important Situational Awareness is.

Quote Originally Posted by sublime1 View Post
    Too bad this guy wasn't packing. If he was, I'm sure you would be reading about it in the paper today. I could see the headlines now," three dead after beating vicims face in and he fights back".
    No offense, but I doubt it. odds are he still would have been jumped and then we might have a firearm on the streets in the hands of criminals.

It said he was black jacked from behind. Carrying a firearm isn't going to make a huge difference when your hit from behind and blindsided by 3 guys. If they caught sight of a gun while ghetto stomping him, I bet they would have gone for that over disbanding when shouted at.
    Que sera, Sera

(Monroe County)

sickening, really..this makes me physically sick to my stomach!...oh if only society would stop oppressing them, those thuglike youths....then they could move on and make a better name for themselves....if only............then they could set a better example...............and personally try to change the stereotype...damn you society!!!...damn you!!!

quit holding them back!!!...........

(Monroe County)

true, but if he had better situational awareness, he might not have been hit from behind. Generally, if you are ccing, you tend to also be checking your 6 and paying closer attention to your surroundings a little better than the average joe. If he was thinking" hey, its 3 in the am and its dark out, I better look both ways before crossing the street" instead of" man i could go for a slushy", it may not have happened.
    I feel bad for the guy, don't get me wrong, but it was 3 in the morning in stroudsburg. I'd be suspicious of anybody, anywhere at 3am.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    sickening, really..this makes me physically sick to my stomach!...oh if only society would stop oppressing them, those thuglike youths....then they could move on and make a better name for themselves....if only............then they could set a better example...............and personally try to change the stereotype...damn you society!!!...damn you!!!

quit holding them back!!!...........
    Yea, despite the record as thick as the dictionary, they were always such good boys

If he was thinking" hey, its 3 in the am and its dark out, I better look both ways before crossing the street" instead of" man i could go for a slushy", it may not have happened.
    yea, SA would have helped him out a lot. I have to say, I think thats the best way to describe SA. On a side note "Man, I could go for a slushy"
    Last edited by MikePrekopa; February 21st, 2010 at 01:55 PM.
    Que sera, Sera

(Monroe County)

Unfortunately, This occured less then a mile from my home.

This type of BS makes me feel more and more justified as to why I made the right decision several weeks ago get off my ass and obtain my LTCF..
    My oldest son works at the Medical center part time several days a week after school for some spending cash, and we just picked up a used car to get him to and from. ( no more walks home at 9pm)

My prayers and well wishes for a speedy and full recovery go out to the poor victim of those scumbags activites.

I will inform my boy of this occurance as well as the reminder to head directly home after his shift is done with no detours to the station across the street.

Thanks for the information Jcab.

Just a quick affirmation request here...

If we as good and decent citizens were to happen upon a single unarmed victim taking a beating as detailed above, Would be justified in drawing a firearm in defense of that person ?
    Of course being sure as to what you are witnessing and the gravity of what is unfolding before you..

I believe that is what this means..?

Title 18, §506. Use of Force for the Protection of Other Persons.

(a) General rule. — The use of force upon or toward the person of another is justifiable to protect a third person when:

(1) the actor would be justified under section 505 of this title (relating to use of force in self-protection) in using such force to protect himself against the injury he believes to be threatened to the person whom he seeks to protect;

(2) under the circumstances as the actor believes them to be, the person whom he seeks to protect would be justified in using such protective force; and

(3) the actor believes that his intervention is necessary for the protection of such other person.

(b) Exceptions.—Notwithstanding subsection (a) of this section:

(1) When the actor would be obliged under section 505 of this title to retreat, to surrender the possession of a thing or to comply with a demand before using force in self-protection, he is not obliged to do so before using force for the protection of another person, unless he knows that he can thereby secure the complete safety of such other person.

(2) When the person whom the actor seeks to protect would be obliged under section 505 of this title to retreat, to surrender the possession of a thing or to comply with a demand if he knew that he could obtain complete safety by so doing, the actor is obliged to try to cause him to do so before using force in his protection if the actor knows that he can obtain complete safety in that way.
    ( If someone is hit on the head from behind prior to being asked for his /her property, does that negate this part?)

(3) Neither the actor nor the person whom he seeks to protect is obliged to retreat when in the dwelling, or place of work of the other to any greater extent than in his own..

Not to sound or feel like a vigilante or something, But I just personally think I could NOT stand idol and watch something like this progress, if I for example were in my truck or in the case above say.. filling my truck with gas and saw this start to unfold. I think my beliefs and compassion towards my fellow man would compel me to do something..

If my one of my sons or wife were taking that beating... I would want someone to get involved.
    Wouldn't you?

Sorry for the long reply.. It's just aggravating to hear this crap. Especially so close to home in a place myself and my family stop to patronize as needed.

Vin

(Monroe County)

It's not just down the hill that this kind of stuff is happening. Has anyone ever heard of PCP or pocono farms? I've lived on this mountain for longer than I'd like to admit and since i first moved here(from mass), i've seen this area devolve into kind of a suburban wasteland. Drive- by shootings, muggings, armed robberies at THE DOLLAR STORE! come on! How much are you going to get from a dollar store?
    Last year, there was a murder/ suicide one block behind my house.

Walking my dog with my kids, my daughter picked up an empty baggie and asked me what it was. I told her it was garbage and snatched it from her hand. Since that occasion, i've been looking for that kind of thing while on walks with the dog and have found over 30 baggies on MY street.
    15 kids walking down the road, all wearing black and red,using extremely profane language and rolling blunts in the middle of the day and "security" just drove right on by, like nothing was wrong. As these hoods walked past my house, while i was outside playing with my kids in the yard, they shot some hard looks my way,cussing and chatting loudly amongst themselves,while looking back and forth between me and eachother.
    On their way back through, two of them started down my driveway and approached me asking me" yo,homeboy, you got a cigarette?"
    "nope", i said as i moved my sweatshirt to the side, revealing my concealed 45 and reached into my pocket and opened a fresh pack of cigarettes, lighting one.
    "aight", they said as they returned to their friends waiting out at the road.

In retrospect, it may not have been the right thing to do, but these kids had the balls to approach me in my own front yard, with my kids around. It was one of a few instances i've had in my neighborhood that made me feel like things are going to hell in a handbasket up here.
    I asked a PMRPD officer if they had a gang unit or anything like that.he said yeah, but their regional, so nothing local. Then he asked where I live so I told him. The officer replied, " Oh. Yeah, there's more than one known gang operating in there."
    I don't live in PCP, either. Many of these kids parents don't live up here with them, they work in the city during the week, leaving these kids to fend for themselves,and expect them to stay out of trouble. I blame the parents.
    In the spring, I'm putting my house on the market and moving further into the woods. I don't even want to get into the stuff my SEVEN YEAR OLD children have been exposed to, in school, before even finishing first grade. As a parent, it makes me sick. It makes you wonder what morals and ideals people are teaching their kids these days.

(Monroe County)

I forgot to mention the attempted home invasion a few years ago while i was at work and my wife was home wwith our two infant kids. And my vehicles being broken into 3 days before Christmas last year, in my driveway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast