Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Question Shooting (hopefully) Through A Chronograph

Hi.

I've got a chronograph on it's way to me and I've been looking around trying to gain as much info as I can about using it.

Something I didn't think about 'till I saw it written somewhere... this may sound goofy, but I saw a few places where shooting a scoped firearm, you have to watch where your aiming with the scope so you don't hit the chrono. due to the scope to barrel drop measurement.

The chrono. is pretty close to the gun, so if I put the crosshairs in the middle of the chrono. wires, am I going to nail the chrono? I know that sounds crazy, but then I got to thinking about it and I can see that happening.

I figure I'll be able to "eye" it up before shooting, but I thought I can get some help from somebody here who has experience with the scoped gun/chrono. set up.

Where do you put the crosshairs shooting through the chrono?

Thanks for any help.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Shooting (hopefully) Through A Chronograph

Dear LTC,
    A long time ago, in a state far away, when shooting was much more casual, I was shooting a scoped 22 using the vinyl roof of my car as a rest. I shot about 50 shots when one shot made a strange zip noise?
    I had not realized but the barrel of the gun was shooting parallel to the roof of my car about 1/2 inch above. When I tilted down to shoot a lower target, I managed to crease the roof where two parts of the vinyl joined and formed a double seam. From then on, I always remembered that the scope and the rifle bore are not exactly the same.

Make sure the chronograph area lines up with the safe impact area.
    Line up the barrel of the rifle to make sure the bullet is traveling the path the chronograph will see. In this case, this close, the scope might not be your friend.

Smitty56

PS, I also heard a story about a guy shooting a deer from horseback where the hunter thought he had a clear shot, pulled the trigger and ended up on the ground because he shot his horse in the head. Today we might call that an internet myth but you never know. It could happen.

(Susquehanna County)

When you get your chrono, your very next purchase should be a stout camera tripod (unless your chrono comes with one). Walmart sells one that works well with my Shooting Chrony Alpha.

When you finally go to the range with your equipment set your chrono at a measured 10' from the muzzle of your rifle. Be sure you have a good rest for your rifle and yes you must remember that at 10' your bullet will be 1.6" (or whatever your measured distance from the center of your scope to the center of your bore is) lower than your line of sight. Adjust your rifle to firing position, adjust your chrono height so the rifle is point through the middle of the sky shields horizontally and vertically Then, while standing off to the side take a look as a double check and be sure your set-up is OK.

Now really, there is no reason why you can't test your loads for accuracy and velocity at the same time. So pick a spot on the target carrier (100 yds or whatever range you test at) and hang your target so rifle, chrono, and target are all aligned.

Have fun and post your load and test results here, along with what your reloading manual says your load gets.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Tioga County)

another thing you can look for when shooting for accuracy and using a chronograph is if you have a flyer you can check you chronograph to see if you had a change in velocity to account for it or was it something else.
    USNRET '61-'81

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Maybe I'm different. I post the target first, next set the gun up, and THEN place the chrono so that I am shooting through the middle of the stadia. That means, if I am using a scope, I am scoping through the stadia at nearly the top of the "window".

But I'm not too old a hand at this, I've just had the Chrony for three years and have only shot one wire off it, so far. (No need to buy that 18.00 wire from Canada, plain old #9 steel wire is exactly what it is) Some older hands have one or two boxes to their credit, and so they tell me, it is kind of the "seal of experience". Others tell me that the skyscreens make a kind of spectular splash of irridiscent confetti when hit at higher velocities, though I don't know about that - yet.

Good lick.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Dauphin County)

In my first range session shooting through my chrono, I set my target, set my rest and rifle, and then began the process of trying to get the tripod in the correct location. I was using a transit style tripod with a reducing adapter to mount the chrono. After about 12 trips between the bench and tripod, everything looked in line. I noticed that on higher magnification I could not see anything but the target. I try to make a habit of double checking myself on the lowest power. With my scope set at 3x I can usually see both of the upright wires and maybe the sunshade. I also learned to make sure the shades and wires are all staying together every few shots. It was a very heart sinking feeling to see the sunshades and wires flying everywhere and somewhat embarrassing when one of the other shooters said "I hope you have extra parts". It turns out the muzzle blast from my 300WM has a tendency to work the shades (under arc tension) loose. Good luck

(Delaware County)

Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks to all for posting! Excellent info.

I'll post some stats on what my reloads are doing. I use mainly hardcast lead for 9mm, 38 and .357mag, and 44mag using Titegroup and Win 231.

I use 55 to 77gr Sierra's for a 1 in 9 .223 with Win 748.

So far, everything has gone bang and has been very accurate using load data about halfway between Min. and Max. I have a ballpark idea of what my stuff is doing, but with the chrono I'll be able to know for sure.

I thought chronos were crazy expensive, and did not look into getting one up 'till now, but something got me curious about them and I was sure surprised at how much they went for. I went with a Competition Electronics Prochrono Digital, for about $104.00 through Graffs. I will set it on top of one of my wife's camera tripods. Should be pretty cool to use.