Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Full size 1911 Input Wanted

Try keeping your eyes open for a Dan Wesson Valor. I was able to pick mine up used with a couple extra sets of grips, 2 holsters, 2 sets of sights (I ended up putting a different set on anyway lol), all for about $1500.

Best gun out there for the price.

(Montgomery County)

Buy a Dan Wesson, and never look back. Even the Pointman series is great, and you can use the rest on ammo. Plus, with the Pointman series being phased out, you might come upon a good deal.
    - May the forCZe be with you.

Springfield TRP..at the top of your range or a bit beyond but you mentioned this is a working gun...That Valor is a little pretty to be banging around with.

(Lackawanna County)

When I (finally!) got around to shopping for my first 1911 last spring, I had the following criteria in mind:

It had to be a GI/Military Spec. 1911A1 in .45 ACP.
    I wanted a "shooter", not a "safe queen"; something that'd get me through a war (if it had to).
    I wanted to spend as little as possible without sacrificing, well - any of the above.

I bought the Rock Island Armory GI 1911A1 .45 ACP - and I could not be more pleased with it!

It was roughly $375.00 Out The Door bought as new 'old stock' (through GunBroker.com and transfered at Advanced Arms in Pittston).

One of the reasons that I wanted a 'bare' GI spec. 1911 was so that I could find out what *I*, personally, needed on the pistol - and not rely on what someone else thinks is 'tacticool'. Just working the slide and seeing where my hand fit on the grips - it was a no brainer that - for me, I needed a BeaverTail Grip Safety and 'beefier' grips.

There was minor function flaw (hammer follow, half-cock would catch it) out of the box (it was manufactured in 1994, after all), had an out-frekin'-standing experience with RIA customer service and Arnel (the Master Gunsmith who custom fitted a BT Grip Safety + a combat hammer for me, as well as set the trigger at a very crisp 4#) - shipped there and back in about two weeks. It has functioned flawlessly ever since.

I would happily and confidently recomend a Rock Island 1911 to anyone.
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

I agree w/you and your theory. I only recently traded in my Glocks and went full bore in full size 1911s for CC.

I love them, At first I got a SA GI in OD, the same gun that got many officers thru 3 major wars and is still on the front lines. I figure if it could that, it certainly could get my little butt around town in one piece.

I of course now have added to this w/the TRP and an EMP.

However its my simple ole GI that gets carried 90% of the time.

I dont need the fancy stuff like I thought and will probly sell the TRP and keep the GI on my hip and EMP in my pocket.
    Last edited by Glock It; February 20th, 2010 at 03:55 PM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by redeye202 View Post
    Try -m1911.org-.
    This^^^^ IMHO, I would look at a Les Baer PII with a couple hundred rounds through it.

I think most will start to get sticker shock at DW's new pricing. They have lost their minds... 1300-2k= fail. Do some research on www.m1911.org it has the biggest group of knowledgeable guys on the web other than LTW...

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    I would buy a Colt and spend the rest on ammo.

If it's not a Colt, it's a copy...(I sleep with my flame suit on)
    I don't mind other brands of 1911's, but that's only after you get a Colt first. If you don't have at least one Colt there is something wrong with you. Is that suit big enough for the both of us??????
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Centre County)

I'm big fan of DanWesson.
    So if money is no object, my pick would be a DW Valor...

But like I said, thats IF $$$ is no object, since they go for anywhere around $1500~$1900(last one I saw went for $1699)

For OP's budget, I can't think of anything other then TRP that fits the bill...

Excellent fit/finish, excellent trigger, and dependable.
    If OP is interested, I can tell you where you can buy one(Sold as used since it did left the shop, but never been fired. We know, because we know the owner very well) TRP for $1099...
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Lehigh County)

Any of the already named brands are good to go.

You should look at STI's, that is also a good brand.

I own a Para Ordnance, that I love. It goes bang everytime and has a sweet trigger to boot. I also own a RIA that was mentioned earlier and I shoot that stock and is also an awesome gun.

If you are interested in a SA TRP, I was at Tanner's yesterday and they had a brand new TRP for around $1200.

If I had not purchased a Colt 6920 from Tanner's yesterday, I would have definitely picked up that TRP.

One more thing, do poke around at www.M1911.org , there is a lot of good info on many of the brands recommended here.

Best of luck in your search.

AG

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by xx AG xx View Post

One more thing, do poke around at www.M1911.org , there is a lot of good info on many of the brands recommended here.

I recommend 1911forum.com instead.
    M1911.Org have WAY too many restrictions, and mods are pretty anal retentive...
    (I got banned several times in the past for saying "shit" or asked questions in wrong section)
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast