Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Question AR lower welding/repairs

I'm looking for a gunsmith who can weld aluminum. I have an AR lower that is damaged and needs some welding done. Shipping to that gunsmith is fine, I just need some recommendations.

Thanks

Default Re: AR lower welding/repairs

Well I have never done this personally, but from what I have been told its very hard to weld AR lowers for the issue that you could warp them. I know this is a dumb question, but why don't you buy a new one? For the cost of sending a rifle thought the mail, obviously the lower being the rifle, and having someone mail it back to you, wouldn't it be more advantageous to buy a stripped lower, and swap the parts over?

(Cumberland County)

It's a pre-ban lower and I'm trying to recover some of the value. If it was a new lower, I wouldn't care too much.

(Berks County)

Depending who made it... will determine whether it's a cast or forged lower.
    Cast is 'gonna be difficult to tig... due to impurities in the casting. May not even be repairable.
    A forged lower shouldn't be much trouble to do, as long as you find a decent shop that does aluminum tig work.

What exactly is broken ? Any pics ?

What did you break, the trigger guard ear? What is the brand? Are the words "Safe" and "Fire" raised or indented?
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by emsjeep View Post
    What did you break, the trigger guard ear? What is the brand? Are the words "Safe" and "Fire" raised or indented?
    Hi emsjeep,

Yes it was a trigger guard ear on a PWA lower and the selector positions are indented.

(York County)

any decent TIG welder can fix this. they do not need to be a "gunsmith" if you are standing within the confines of the shop office while the work is being done. if you are on site the "gun" is still under your control.

doesn't matter whether the gun us cast or forged. it can be welded by a skilled TIG welder. i have personally welded such small pieces, but no longer have access to the right equipment. i say this as a certified welder, certified welding inspector, and welding engineer.

as for warpage, you will not have any that is detrimental in this situation if the welder uses the minimum heat input required.

Yeah, it could probly be fixed, but damage like that will really kill the value. Pre-bans are rare but not impossible to find in good condition. That would most likley be a forged lower, btw. Good luck.
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    any decent TIG welder can fix this. they do not need to be a "gunsmith" if you are standing within the confines of the shop office while the work is being done. if you are on site the "gun" is still under your control.

doesn't matter whether the gun us cast or forged. it can be welded by a skilled TIG welder. i have personally welded such small pieces, but no longer have access to the right equipment. i say this as a certified welder, certified welding inspector, and welding engineer.

as for warpage, you will not have any that is detrimental in this situation if the welder uses the minimum heat input required.
    Thanks for the feedback. Can you recommend someone? I'm in Shippensburg but willingly to travel.

Honestly, it will probably cost you more than the lower is worth. Pre ban or not...it's not as if you need to concern yourself with it being pre ban. Only benefit I see if you sell to someone in a ban state.

Figure in shipping and labor cost...how much do you think that pre ban lower is worth?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast