Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Sugestions for a new .45

I have a .45, S&W 645 stainless...
    I am wanting to buy another .45
    Torn between a few, would like your input. Any help would be appreciated.

In your response maybe include mfr, model and why.
    Thanks...
    Jeff

(Bucks County)

Best bet it to go to ranges and rent. The various .45s (like all semi-autos) all "feel" different and shoot different. No one can tell you in advance which will suit. If you stick to top-tier companies, you'll be ok, quality-wise, no matter which way you go.

(Allegheny County)

Could that be a 625, if so I also have one and love it, good choice.
    I really don't know what you are looking fo or what your buget is but in my opinion Kimber is the best factory 1911 made they go for around 750.00 & up. One nice thing about a Kimber is that the one for $750.00 (custom II in blue) shoots just as good as the $1500.00 ones, you just pay extra for bells and whistles. I help a friend at a local gun shop from time to time and if a customer wants a .45 acp this is always my first suggestion. If you love the
    .45 acp then you will end up with a Kimber any way so why not save some money and buy it first.
    Another one that is a good gun for the money is the Springfield WWII model (made in Braizil) it's around $500.00 it's a plain Jane but a fairly tight gun and shoots well for around $500.00.
    If you want a Cowboy gun try the Ruger convertable in .45acp/ .45 Colt (shoots both - 2 cylinders) and no moon clips just push the ejection rod.
    I have all of these and some other .45s' and appreciate them all for different reasons.
    What's the one I shoot the most? The older Kimber Custom in stainless I bought it used for $450.00 about 5 years ago and love it. for feel, nothing feels like a 1911 in my hand.
    I just got my first look at the new Taurus 1911 (just out). It looks good but didn't impress me, it's around $500.00. For shooting For the same money I'll buy the Springfield.
    Hope ths helps
    It's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it!

(Bucks County)

You didn't say you were looking for a 1911 (or indeed a semi-auto). Are you? If not, almost every manufacturer makes a non-1911 .45 too.

(Philadelphia County)

No, I have a 645, its the second generation .45 semi auto...replaced by third generation 4506, I believe.

Yeah, I am partial to the 1911s also...there really is nothing quite like'm.

Not 100% sure if that is what I am going to buy. I seem to be favoring the s&w19911 or springfield professional 1911...also like the s&w sw99 and the little glock, think its the G30? not sure if thats the Glock#off the top of my head. The S&W M&P is also on my mind...have a M&P 40 and love it!

Figured I would see what you guys had to say....

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 91xlt View Post
    Figured I would see what you guys had to say....
    I'd say they're night and day different, but there's nothing objectively wrong about any of them. In addition to all those .45s, you have the H&K USP in 2 sizes, Sig in 2 sizes, new and old Ruger stylings, 3 sizes of Glock, the new CZ.... Beretta makes a .45 too, but I don't know how much traction it's gained in the marketplace.
    Last edited by dgg9; October 3rd, 2006 at 09:16 AM.

(Bucks County)

XD-45

(only if you already have a 1911).

(York County)

i have a G30 for carrying and really like it. its a compact but you can also get a full size (G21) and the subcompact (G36)

try them out at a local range.

(Bucks County)

Default Suggestions For A New 45

SOOOOOOOO much to pick from - Let me seeee - Maybe a Colt and maybe a Colt and another choice would be a Colt - The XD 45 4" or the Tactical 5" is a great choice - some problems with trigger bars after 40,000 plus rounds in them but its being corrected with a beefy up grade - some problems also with early mags getting dimples in them after heavy use - a problem that has been corrected --- we have put these guns thru the torture test - 40,000 plus rounds and beaten them to death - I have no problem at all depending on it when it counts - and they can be tricked out for better performance - The Colt Light Weight Commander is a great gun for carry and the range - and of course so much can be done to a Colt to add more horsepower - Colt has so much to offer and the after market parts for upgrades are overwhelming - I have been really looking at what Sig has and have been impressed by the whole line - will have to start testing some out - Smith & Wesson 1911 frames make nice nice guns - but I rather stay with the Custom higher end ones - they make great Revolvers - The Spring Field 1911 frames - need some internal work and tricking out before they rock and can not take the beating right out of the box - trick them out and you have a good gun -- But in the end the Colt 1911 45 is the one to study and really look at - it is the ultimate muscle car of guns. Pick up a used Colt and do what ever you want too it to fit your needs. Mark

(Luzerne County)

Any quality 1911 if you prefer steel. Just find one that meets your wants,needs and budget. There is a ton of stuff you can do to them to improve a lower cost quality model so don't feel it's Gold Cup or nothing. If plastic is your thang' then the XD-45 seems like a winner or the H&K 45 which is more pricey but very nice. Compact guns.....I dunno, don't like the thought of a 45 in such a small package. Kinda like a hand held mortar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast