Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Question Sig P238 vs P229

Well, I thought I was set on a P238. But, I am interested in the P229, thinking for the money it will serve duel purpose for concealment and practice at the range. Presently, I have a HK USP compact that I am near & dear to for cc, so, I am wondering if the P238 is a little pricey? Would the P229 be more practical? Everyone's thoughts are appreciated!!!
    Barb

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Sig P238 vs P229

The Sig P238 makes a really nice back up gun. It's a bit heavier than polymer framed .380s from other companies which will make the recoil extremely easy to manage--my Ruger LCP has one of the snappiest recoils of all the guns I've shot. Though I'm not a huge fan of .380 if you intend to use it for a primary gun. If you are comfortable carrying the H&K USP Compact, keep in mind the Sig P229 is a bit bigger and heavier so it may be harder for you to conceal or less comfortable to carry for the same capacity and caliber (though it could be easier for you to shoot well with or fit your hand better), whereas I see the P238 as more of a backup gun or something to carry when concealing a larger pistol is out of the question.

Best thing you can do is test them out before you make any decisions.
    Last edited by levib; February 19th, 2010 at 08:20 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Maybe I should add I had a P226 9mm years ago and loved it. Why I sold it I'll never know.....Maybe I thought the P229 would be a smaller version of the P226 and more practical. Both P238 and P229 feel comfortable in my hand.
    Barb

(Delaware County)

Default Apples vs.Oranges

All of the Sigs you mentioned are good. But comparing the P238 and P229 is like saying "I need a new vehicle. should I get a Ford Focus or Ford F150"? Get what you like and what you personalyl need the pistol for and how you plan on carrying it.
    Tim

Default Re: Apples vs.Oranges

+1 to the apples vs. oranges comparison.

First question is: what is your goal? If it's for deep concealment, then you need a smaller gun. If it's for every day all-around carry, then you can go for a compact.

I know nothing about the USP Compact, but judging from pics that I've found, it looks to be in the same class as a P229. If you already have the USP Compact, might as well get a P238 for a pocket gun.

Then again, I'm more of a practical guy -- I don't have more than one gun for a particular niche. If you have the means and the desire, don't let me stop you from getting a P229 if that's what you really want.

(Montgomery County)

Thank you! I do love the shopping process....

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by RYB44 View Post
    Well, I thought I was set on a P238. But, I am interested in the P229, thinking for the money it will serve duel purpose for concealment and practice at the range. Presently, I have a HK USP compact that I am near & dear to for cc, so, I am wondering if the P238 is a little pricey? Would the P229 be more practical? Everyone's thoughts are appreciated!!!
    Barb
    Have you considered the 239?
    It is larger than the 238 and thinner than the 229 and available in 9mm or .40S&W

(Allegheny County)

Another one here that will suggest that you consider the P239. The P239 in 9mm is a great EDC gun. The 9mm really shines in the smaller package, very easy to control for multiple quick & accurate shots.

The slim grip makes it easy to conceal.

When I was on duty I carried a Sig P220 or P226, my off duty gun for much of the time was the P239 9mm.

Good luck with your choice.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Montgomery County)

Good point, I will add the P239 to my list. From some of the things mentioned here, I know I do want a more concealed size gun. So, I have a P238 on order, but, I will take another look at the P239 - it would make purchasing one caliber ammo a little more economical if I stay with 9mm. Thank you again for your input. Barb