Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default best powder/ brass supplier/tumbler for .223 reloading noob???

I have everything to reload now except brass, powder, and a tumbler...

Any recommendations on what I should buy???

Best place to buy brass for .223???
    Best powder to use for beginners???
    Best tumbler under $100???

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: best powder/ brass supplier/tumbler for .223 reloading noob???

oh, I forgot to mention I am using 55 grain FMJ/BT bullets and small rifle primers. I don't know if that makes a difference, but I thought I would just put it out there.

Rounds will be for my Bushmaster for plinking fun until I get the hang of this.

(Dauphin County)

For brass, just get some factory loads and shoot them up. Its fun shooting and you get brass.
    For powder I use IMR 4198, it gives me low charge weight (18gr) so the pound of powder I buy goes further.
    For a tumbler look at this http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93252
    I use this one and it works great. Those others made by lyman and such are insulting to be priced the way they are.

(Lawrence County)

I like Varget for beginners. Even if you fill the case, it's ahrd to blow yourself up. It's also brutally accurate.

Tumblers don't matter, but media size does. You need a fine grain media to clean .223 without it getting stuck in the casings. Media stuck in the casings that you don't see can increase pressures significantly.

Lycanseriouslythrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Cumberland County)

I just picked up some fine grain corn cob media from my local shop ($5 for a 2 liter bottle of it). I thought that this would be fine enough. Correct?

Also, Midway has a set of a tumbler, media, a media sorter bucket, and some case polish for $74 + shipping.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=414369

Any opinions on this one? good? bad?

Also, what are you guys using for primers? I bought some CCI small rifle primers (#450) but I was just curious since I started this thread already.

(Armstrong County)

I use brass from factory ammo (Federal).
    Imr 4064 for powder it fills .223 brass pretty good so you really can't overcharge by a whole lot.
    I use the Frankford kit that u have there and it seems to work good i've only used it a couple months but its been good so far.
    The CCI SRP work well for me.

(Lawrence County)

That tumbler looks good.

Any FINE media will do. Walnut cleans better, but will not leave the cases as shiny as corncob. Save the expensive fine media for .223 and use cheap pet bedding corncob from Walmart or Agway for pistol rounds.......a lot cheaper (but too thick for rifle brass). It's small enough if it just pours out of the empty casings.

I use CCI 400's for the .223 and the .40. You really don't need magnum primers for .223 and know that they may add pressure to your loads. I'd always start 1-2 grains lower when using magnum primers if you don't have load data.

Lycangoodluckthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

My comments in no particular order:

I use walnut media instead of my usual 50/50 mix with corn cob during my ..223 tumbling. I find that the corn cob was sticking inside the brass whereas the walnut just falls out nicely. I get the walnut media at PetSmart. I don't recall whether it is called lizard or bird bedding but I can check if you are interested.

Brass comes from shooting factory ammo and recovering it plus I have picked up over 1500 pieces at the range over the course of the last year. I assume that since shooters are leaving their brass that it is considered once-shot.

I use Roze Distributing, http://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchant...egory_Code=REL, for generic 55 grain fmj bullets. $80 shipped for 1000 bullets. I just got my second order. Pretty good stuff at a pretty good price for punching paper.

My powder is Hodgdon H335 powder, http://www.hodgdon.com/rifle.html, for my .223. It meters well, many use it so there is lots of data on it and I feel like it is almost a universal powder for light weight bullets like the 55 grain. No notes with me but I think I load to 24.7 grains. Don't trust me on that.

My tumbler is from Midway USA and is this: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=414369. It has done over 7000 pieces of brass and doesn't even look used yet. A good value for a small time reloader, imo.

Small rifle primers are CCI #400 and they are available locally although limited to 300 per visit. I just visit them a few times each month.

I use the Lee Classic Cast Turret because it allows me to do pistol and rifle and only change the turret. I use the Lee rifle die set and it works well. Fwiw, although the H335 powder meters well, it is so fine that a very small amount of powder is dropped around the turret during reloading. I emphasize very small amount.

As a noob on rifle reloading, pistol for that matter too, I inspect every case after charging with powder, measure the first five in each reloading session and then about every 15th or 20th round gets the powder dumped and measured. I am very careful about measuring and I use a beam AND an electronic scale to measure the same sample.

I don't have my notes with me but I think I reload to an OAL of 2.200. I set the bullet down so that the cannelure is halfway into the case mouth and then lightly crimp.

Go carefully, read, read, read and don't trust internet data. I started with minimum powder charges and worked up to slightly below maximum and found out which one shoots most accurately and reliably in my rifle. There is a lot of information out there and if you go slowly you can do it. I did it without adult supervision and call myself self-taught. It would be best, imo, to have an experienced reloader work with you when you start, if that is possible.

I sort of hate to post this on a reloading thread , but if you can find the Rem. bulk packs at Wally World it's just as cheap as buying the components and rolling your own. This will give you practice shooting and brass to load later.I'm doing this even though my barrel is a 1 in 7 and doesn't like the 55 gr. pills. Also I'm just starting to loading .223 and don't have any brass.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by jachrist View Post
    I have everything to reload now except brass, powder, and a tumbler...

Any recommendations on what I should buy???

Best place to buy brass for .223???
    Best powder to use for beginners???
    Best tumbler under $100???

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.
    For the brass just shop around for a good price.

Powder ,Well since your shooting only the lighter 55 gr bullet ,IMR 4198,H332,H335, IMR 3031,IMR 4895,and Ramshot TAC will all work well

As for a tumbler? Well I have never owned one and probably never will ,IMO they are a" nice to have" but unneccessary piece of equipment.and I've been reloading for 25+ yrs now.I'm sure others my feel differently.

Tim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast