Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: best powder/ brass supplier/tumbler for .223 reloading noob???

Thanks for posting this. I am getting ready to "roll my own" here shortly. I have been tumbling brass for the past month. Last batch is on as we speak. I use the Hornady M2 tumbler. It works great. I can get about 500 223 cases in there at one time. I bought a 7 lb can of lyman walnut media (it has rouge on it). Ive tumbled about 15000 cases total this month, and the media looks brand new still.

One hint that I think I got on this site was to rip up old dryer fabric softener sheets and put them into the tumbler with your brass. It collects almost all of the dirt and grass pieces. Pull them out when batch is done and use new sheet for next load. (my wife thinks im nuts...always asking for the used dryer sheets!! lol). I use Dillon rapid polish in my tumbler (have put about 6 capfuls in over the 15000 cases, seems to leave a shiny coating on the brass).

The best money i spent though, was the RCBS media seperator. It was $35 from Grafs and Sons, but it has a lid and keeps the dust down. gets almost every grain of media out of the cases. nice piece of equipment.

I get my brass from the range. and what i shoot through the gun. Which is why I never shoot cheaper steel cased rounds. cases arent worth a thing. I have a buddy who is a police officer, and I go to the range with him, they dont pick up their brass very well, so I get lots of free brass, although it is usually stepped into the ground, and muddy. Thus, I HAVE to tumble it all. But it was free!!!!! It is all Federal LC brass, so I guess I am gonna have to investigate a tool to de crimp it. (Dillon super swage is good?)

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: best powder/ brass supplier/tumbler for .223 reloading noob???

You can save a couple bucks by skipping the media additives and use a tablespoon of NuFinish liquid car wax. Cleans as good as any additive I've used, the cases are slick for sizing and they shed water easily......

Lycancheapbastardthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123