Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default New to reloading w/ powder question

I just got some of my reloading equipment and just trying to get some of the little details together. I am looking for an all around pistol and rifle powder. I am looking to reload .32acp to .45acp and various rifle loads.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: New to reloading w/ powder question

You will find very difficult if not impossible to find a powder that will work in both rifle and pistol. As the volume in rifle cases varies so much it's difficult to find a powder that will fill all your rifle needs. Eventually you will find each chammbering will use a diferent power best. Check your data manual for a powder that is listed for both your 32 and 45. I don't load 32. If you don't have a manual buy two or three.

Quote Originally Posted by fordmech00 View Post
    I just got some of my reloading equipment and just trying to get some of the little details together. I am looking for an all around pistol and rifle powder. I am looking to reload .32acp to .45acp and various rifle loads.

(Jefferson County)

You could use one powder, but the given cartridges would not perform as intended.

The differences in powder are: volume and burn rate. Pistol powders burn fast, rifles powders burn slower.. Then there are variances on volume within the given rifle/pistol class powders. 16grs of one powder may be spilling out of a .357mag casing, but you could stuff 25grs of another in there..

I've used BlueDot pistol powder to launch .223Rem rounds, also for 32Win Spl too.

Just select one pistol powder and one rifle powder if you are trying to streamline things. Unless you have many many years of experience in cross-cartridge powder usage - use separate powders.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Venango County)

And, READ ALL THE SAFETY INFORMATION! preferably twice
    Not trying to be a dick or anything, but reloading must be an exact science to keep yourself and others safe. Have fun! PS...you'll find it more addicting than heroin! LOL

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Allegheny County)

For .45's I use W-W 231.

(Susquehanna County)

I can't even begin to guess why you'd want to reload .32 ACP, but Winchester 231 is a good general purpose PISTOL powder. Refer to Speer Reloading Manual #13 and you'll find recipes for W231 in .32 ACP and .45 ACP and most calibers in between.

Varget is a RIFLE powder that may be used in many standard calibers with medium capacity cases. Refer to your reloading manuals for details.

(Centre County)

The Lyman reloading manual is a good place for info. As is the Hornady, Speer, Nosler, Barnes, and all the other reloading manuals. Get one of them and READ IT COMPLETELY before doing anything.

You will NOT find one smokeless powder that will work for all cartridges. Most serious reloaders (me included) probably have a minimum of 4 different powders (I have 14) because you tailor your loads to get the best performance and one powder can't do it all.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

I agree with everyone. you will not find a powder that works for all calibers. I load 38spec and 45acp and I have have 10 different powders for different bullets and different loads