Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Returns and refund policies

Does PA have any standardized rule or law regarding whether a reputable gun store will provide a refund for a handgun very recently purchased?

Is there any law in PA that prevents a gun store from taking back a handgun that has never been used and was purchased a few days earlier? There is no return policy posted.

THANK YOU FOR A PROMPT REPLY.
    Last edited by CuriousandSuspicious; February 18th, 2010 at 04:38 AM.

(Elk County)

Default Re: Returns and refund policies

There is no PA-imposed uniform standard requirement for the return of undamaged goods for which there is no warranty claim involved. Return policies are set entirely by the businesses. This applies to all retail merchants, not just firearm dealers.

Merchants are free to set their own return policies as they see fit. Some have liberal return "no questions asked" policies, but they are few and tend to be larger chain-type stores. In my experience, most firearm dealers have a "no refund; credit only policy" and a very few have "No refund / no credit / no returns whatsoever" policy. Many gun dealers now have a "new firearms are warranted by the manufacturer / NO warranty on used guns" policy posted in their respective stores. This means if your new Remchester's widget breaks the first time you shoot, it's up to you to send it back to Remchester. Some dealers will assist you and ship it for you, but that's the limit of their involvement. PA's warranty regulations stipulate the responsibilities that apply to the manufacturer to address the issue of their products sold in PA being free from defects, being merchantable, and being fit for the intended purpose. Retailers are NOT involved; they can elect to simply post a "The Manufacturer is Responsible for all Warranty Claims" statement and that's the limit of a merchant's involvement.

Most dealers have a limited "no returns" policy to avoid having to deal with customers who suffer from chronic or acute "buyer's remorse" -- Example: They buy a gun on Friday or Saturday with the rent money and then take it back on Tuesday, or they simply didn't ask their Mommies first. Not implying anything in your case, just sayin'.

I hope this helps, but it's probably not the answer you were looking for.

Noah

(Monroe County)

Thank you so much, Noah. It is EXACTLY the response I was looking for.

I have a legitimate reason for the request for a refund but the behavior I received was unacceptable and unethical. In addition, when I requested a refund, I was told a morass of untruths, including that the State of Pennsylvania prohibits the return of any handgun. I knew this was nonsense, researched the claim extensively and, of course, found no such statute and just wanted to hear it from someone here.

Because of their mistreatment and intentional misconduct in dealing with me - not with respect to their refusal to provide a refund but with respect to their deceptive efforts to fabricate policies they had neither claimed nor published, I fully intend to pursue them to satisfaction.

I have read a substantial amount of complaints about their attitudes, behavior and even their background subsequently both here and on other sites.

I despise fraudsters!

Thank you very much.

(Franklin County)

Anyway you can clarify on what happened?

You don't have to if you don't want to however.

(Chester County)

My guess is that the paperwork was already processed for the firearm and issuing a refund would involve another transfer or ownership from you back to the shop.

IF it was me, I would charge a restocking fee equaling the transfer fee plus the store employees time for the initial sale and the refund.
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
    My guess is that the paperwork was already processed for the firearm and issuing a refund would involve another transfer or ownership from you back to the shop. .
    All the shop does is log the gun (back) into their sales "bound book".

Just like when they acquired it the first time.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Montgomery County)

Interesting situation. I'll be watching for developments. Good luck.

Ham radio: when all else fails.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    All the shop does is log the gun (back) into their sales "bound book".

Just like when they acquired it the first time.

Agree. Not really much work. That said, many places will charge a restocking fee, typically 10% to 15% of the selling price.

In my shop, I don't keep a stock of guns to be sold, at times, I do special orders for people. When I order, I will charge a 25% NON-refundable order charge. This has to be paid up front before I send/call the order in. This is to discourage someone from ordering something and then the day it arrives (or before) backing out of the sale. If they go through with the sale then no problem, they don't lose anything. I only do this now because I got burned several times in the past.

I also do something else a little different, I tell the person that does the order that if they renege on the order, they lose the 25%, but if I can get it sold within 30 days I will refund them 20 of the 25% (I keep 5% for costs to try to get it sold). That gives the person an incentive to talk to his friends, etc. to help get it sold so he can get back some of his money.

If there is something legitimately wrong with the gun, I will work with the customer and the place I got the gun or the manufacturer to make the customer happy, but I won't issue a refund from my funds. If the wholesaler/manufacturer decides to issue a refund, and pay to have the gun returned to them, I will do whatever I can to expedite the process.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(York County)

One problem is...now it's a "used gun" and worth less on the retail market. Even if the OP sold it on PAFOA's classifieds today, he's probably get 50% to 75% of what he paid for it.
    So, the question to be asked is why does he want to return it? And if he does, does he expect full retail price....because he's unlikely to get that.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
    Anyway you can clarify on what happened?

You don't have to if you don't want to however.
    I shall, as I believe it is of benefit to let others know when a vendor behaves without integrity. I will post when time is more ample, probably during the upcoming weekend.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast