Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sticky Bolt

(Berks County)

Default Re: Sticky Bolt

Have you done any modification to the trigger? If it is tough to open up the bolt after a round is fired as opposed to when it is not fired, you may have a problem with the trigger sear. That can push up on your bolt and cause it to be tough to open the bolt and extract a round.
    Last edited by Konsukah_19; February 18th, 2010 at 07:46 PM.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you have, is also big enough to take it all away.
    Gerald Ford.

Happiness is 5,000 rounds of match ammo.

(Westmoreland County)

hope these pics help
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Westmoreland County)

There are no mods to the gun it is bone stock if you dry fire it the bolt opens fine.

Quote Originally Posted by winchester70 View Post
    hope these pics help
    Yes sir, the pictures do help. I think the bolt face looks good, and don't see any problems. Now about the primer pictures, I want some other people's opinions on it with me. The primer is obviously not flat, I don't see any flattening. From that particular piece of brass, I don't see any marks from the bolt face or ejector on it. Sometimes when rounds are over pressured, the brass gets slammed back into the bolt face, and you can see marks; I don't see any of those.

I reload, but I don't push loads super hot because I like the extended barrel life. So I'm less experienced with the fringes/slight hints of pressure signs than some people. I still think there appears to be the start of some cratering around the firing pin impression. This can be a sign of overpressure, or some other issues. Do you have any calipers? If you do, have you measured the case webbing on some of your fired brass? I think there may be some slight chamber issues, like it could be slightly out of spec. Let's see if some others think there's a little cratering. For a Remington 700, if it was just the firing pin, the protrusion looks a little long to me; I think there's slight cratering.

(Westmoreland County)

Turns out the back of the chamber was rough and when the case expanded that little bit from being fired it would get stuck had the chamber polish and it works real smoth now

Quote Originally Posted by winchester70 View Post
    Turns out the back of the chamber was rough and when the case expanded that little bit from being fired it would get stuck had the chamber polish and it works real smoth now
    That's what I suspected, and thank you for finally verifying that. It helps give a little closure to the thread also, that way in case others have this problem, they can look it up for themselves.

(Westmoreland County)

one sure sign for future reference there were bad scratches from the belt on the casing toward the neck

(Jefferson County)

Rough chambers will do it.

I've said a few times before here, when in doubt - polish and clean the chamber.

The make of guns I prefer has this common issue, NEF/H&R rifles. Stuck casings are a regular thing with these single shots, but a quick polish job fixes the problem 99% of the time.

A little bit of Flitz on a bore mop attached to a slow speed drill works wonders.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12