Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Walther (Interarms) PPK/S problem

I've had an Interarms PPK/S for about 20 years and recently pulled it out of "retirement" to do some shooting with it. I just had a problem with the original factory recoil spring getting fatigued (it broke a couple of turns from where it rests against the frame) and it stove-piped like crazy on feeding. I got a couple of Wolf, factory standard 20# recoil springs and replaced the dead one - a much higher force is now required to cycle the slide. I also got new magazine springs.

What is happening now is that when I shoot FMJ ammo, about one in 20 - 25 rounds will stove-pipe on feeding and it doesn't seem to matter where it is in the mag. I have shot some older Remington and recently bought PMC FMJ ammo with the same results.

If I shoot JHP, I do not have the problem. For the heck of it I shot 7 mags of JHP (some Remington, some Winchester) rounds through it and it didn't malfunction once. I reloaded with FMJs and halfway through the third mag it stove-piped on feeding again. It never mis-fires when rounds chamber properly which they always do unless they stove-pipe.

I've put around 350 - 400 rounds through it, over the years, and never experienced this problem before the recent recoil spring failure. In looking at the internals, and the feed ramp, there doesn't seem to be anything obvious that would cause the FMJs to jam. I have two mags and it happens with both, new springs or old.

Anybody here experience this with an Interarms PPK/S? Any suggestion of a decent gunsmith in the Upper Darby/Havertown area should I want one to take a look at it?

I'm not sure what S&W's policy is about an Interarms PPK/S.

Shot four mags through my Gen I Glock 17 - now that was a pleasure.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Walther (Interarms) PPK/S problem

I would contact the manufacturer of the ammunition you are shooting to inquire about the how much powder (grains) there is in eacg brand you are shooting.

My guess is the JHP rounds might have a heavier powder load since they are meant to be a defensive round, where as FMJ is more of a target round. You do not need extra stopping power to take on paper or cardboard.

Just my 2 cents.

(Monroe County)

You should have gotten the #16 spring from Wollf instead of the #20 , i agree with the other poster, i think the cheap fmj ammo just doesnt have the balls to cycle that #20 spring , get rid of the spring , you dont need it on a Walther anyway.

I changed out all the mainsprings in my SIG 232, WAlther PPKs and Polish model 64, - with the #16 spring- sweet.

Nyman

(Allegheny County)

I agree, you're oversprung, not enough time for those low powered target ammo to cycle

(Delaware County)

Thanks gents:

I gotta admit that the 20# spring is a bit rough on the thumb and index finger when you manually operate the slide with the weak hand. After cycling it 8 or 10 times, the serrations at the aft end of the slide start to take their toll on your fingers when pulling against that 20#. I don't remember it being that stiff with the original spring.

The FMJ ammo has 90 gr. bullets where the JHP has 95 gr. Slight difference but that little extra mass going out the barrel plus an extra powder load may be exactly what is keeping the problem from happening - off to order the lighter springs.

(Monroe County)

Yeah Kurt , Go for a 16# spring , Remember the PPKs is a blowback Gun, it relies on slide velocity to properly function.

yeah those FMJ's are usually loaded a little lighter.

As you probably already know , Wollf sells the Spring packs for about $10, comes with a 16, 19, 20 and a 21 lbs. spring.

(Monroe County)

Yeah Kurt , Go for a 16# spring , Remember the PPKs is a blowback Gun, it relies on slide velocity to properly function.

yeah those FMJ's are usually loaded a little lighter.

As you probably already know , Wollf sells the Spring packs for about $10, comes with a 16, 19, 20 and a 21 lbs. spring.

(Philadelphia County)

My Interarms PPK is very ammo sensitive. Certain bullet shapes give it fits. It will jam a round on feeding with the bullet nose wedged against the top of the barrel.

Tried a few different Wolff springs with no real improvement. Eventually found that it seems to do better with cartridges (FMJ or HP) with a shorter overall length and/or bullets with a more circular radius.

(Delaware County)

I called Wolff yesterday and the guy I talked to about why I wanted the lower power recoil spring didn't have much nice to say about the PPK line. I think the comment was something like, "I'd carry a water pistol before I'd carry a PPK .380 for self protection."

If the 16# spring works for the target ammo, I'll be happy to shoot less expensively. If I carry it, it'll only be loaded with JHP (either Hydra-Shok or Wolf JHP).

Anyway, a 16# spring is on its way.

(Philadelphia County)

Hopefully the springs help. If not, try another brand of FMJ. I've had good luck with Fiocchi which isn't too pricey.

The feed angle is much steeper on the PPK(s) than on modern autoloaders. The sad fact is that it simply isn't as reliable as say, a Sig p232.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast