Thread: Ammo Shortage?

Default Ammo Shortage?

I doubt the validity of this article...

What do you think?

http://local.lancasteronline.com/4/208780

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Ammo Shortage?

ha...they should train with Wolf!

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

Any number of suppliers here and overseas if they really want to buy the ammo. I think a lot has to do with cost, not that it isn't available. Ammo is out there if you want to pay the price.

I wrote the writer of this article, saying the same thing - I find it absolutely odd that there would be a shortage - manufacturers are pumping the stuff out!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by sjl127 View Post
    I doubt the validity of this article...

What do you think?

http://local.lancasteronline.com/4/208780
    Its very valid. One guy might be able to go out and find ammo, but in bigger depts, trying to find thousands of rounds is hard.

Try looking for large quantities of bullets to reload, .223/5.56mm, .308, etc.....FMJ stuff, everything is out and on back order. PD's buy stuff in large quantities, so its not easy to find. We are supposed to qualify the second week of Sept.....can't wait, because I know the chief probably hasn't even started looking for ammo yet.

Things started getting scarce and everyone started to buy up the ammo, hence all the back orders. Anyone remember several years ago, how primers suddenly got hard to find??

Thankfully I reload, and keep about 2k rounds each for 9mm, .45acp, .223/5.56....

I use all of those for target shooting throughout the year........so I'm not in any danger of running out. However, over the winter when I do most of my reloading I hope the supply catches up with the demand.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by sjl127 View Post
    I wrote the writer of this article, saying the same thing - I find it absolutely odd that there would be a shortage - manufacturers are pumping the stuff out!
    They may be pumping the stuff out, but they can't keep up with the demand.

(Berks County)

One of the other factors involved in rising costs and decreasing availability of ammo is the metals market. Worldwide demand for metals like brass and copper are rising quickly, especially with the Chinese buying more than ever to fuel their growing economy.

Forget ammo for a minute; if you know an electrician, talk to them, they'll tell you about it. The cost of copper cabling used in home wiring has risen dramatically in the last year. Heck, the cost of copper is going up so fast that the amount of copper in pennies is worth more than a penny; it's approaching 5 cents. See here:

http://slashdot.org/articles/07/01/26/1257240.shtml
    http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/...048.shtml?s=us
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; August 29th, 2007 at 03:14 PM.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

There have been many similar stories. Others like that are posted on this very forum. The basic situation is as follows:
    1. The G.W.O.T. has increased the military and police demand for ammo. 1.5 billion rounds have been contracted for the armed forces. (increased demand)

2. The world-wide price of Cooper and Lead have sky-rocketed. In part due to higher energy costs (effects everything) and competion from China. (Decreased Supply.

3. The ammo makers are outputting full capacity to meet the demand. Since the military ammo is at a fixed contract price, the extra overhead has to be added to the civilian ammo. Ammo prices are rising.

4. Police Departments have a logistical constraint imposed upon themselves. They typically issue the ammunition for duty, qualification and training all of which must be the same. This makes it difficult to substitute ammo that is available. They order large batches of ammo directly from the makers, where their orders meet all the other orders, all behind the military order.

Civilians do not have this constraint. There is still ammo on store shelves and components available to reloaders.

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    Forget ammo for a minute; if you know an electrician, talk to them, they'll tell you about it. The cost of copper cabling used in home wiring has risen dramatically in the last year. Heck, the cost of copper is going up so fast that the amount of copper in pennies is worth more than a penny; it's approaching 5 cents.
    You might have noticed the increase news reports of Cooper thefts. Thieves are stealing wires and pipes from old buildings, construction sites, building supply yards, even live electrical wires. There have been several in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area.

I believe it. They're pumping ammo out as fast as they can, I believe the salt lake city plant has tripled production. Its gone up a lot. But even with ammo manufacturers pumping all this out, its not enough. Lots of PDs are short on ammo now. Many, many.

Ammo prices are up too. That causes people to buy what they can because they think it will go up more. I'd imagine the PDs are ordering stuff ahead of time now, to compensate for the wait. So, its a vicious cycle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast