Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default NY resident w/ hunting license have to take the hunter ed. class?

I'm thinking about taking a trip down to PA to do some hunting next year. I have a NY State hunting license and can probably find the certificate from when I took the class here.

Do I have to take the PA class or will I be able to buy a license there using my NY license as proof of a course?

Default Re: NY resident w/ hunting license have to take the hunter ed. class?

Your current NY lic. is sufficient. In all likelihood you won't even be asked to provide proof.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Your current NY lic. is sufficient. In all likelihood you won't even be asked to provide proof.
    He's correct, the previous license from another state is sufficient. Even b/4 the new POS system, it seemed that many places stopped asking for proof...maybe they will ask youngsters but they appear not to be asking adults, unless you actually go to a regional PGC office to get your license.

It appeared that they license issuing agents had stopped checking the book of revoked people like they used to but POS does that automatically...

Thanks for the fast replies. I was worried I would have to take the class which would have put an end to my plans. Now to figure out where to go and what to hunt.

(Lancaster County)

Dove hunting is loads of fun and you can't do it in NYS yet, so that's definitely a good one.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

I was actually hoping for a hog hunt but after reading the long post about it in this section they are not as widespread as I thought. Maybe deer. I'm not really a bird hunter.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gloomis View Post
    I was actually hoping for a hog hunt but after reading the long post about it in this section they are not as widespread as I thought. Maybe deer. I'm not really a bird hunter.
    You have to remember too that with PA's hog hunting rules that it has to be incidental hunting. ...meaning, you have to be lawfully hunting something else in season with a legal firearm for that game, to take a hog that you see incidentally. You cannot specifically hunt hogs, except those on private game preserves, which they are considered livestock.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    You have to remember too that with PA's hog hunting rules that it has to be incidental hunting. ...meaning, you have to be lawfully hunting something else in season with a legal firearm for that game, to take a hog that you see incidentally. You cannot specifically hunt hogs, except those on private game preserves, which they are considered livestock.
    I did gather that after I did some reading. I will keep researching but I might move my hunt to another state where I can target a hog legally.

Just remember that if you sign the bottom of a license which is an affadavit saying your have either taken the HE Course or already had purchased a legal license.

In the event that you get investigated, the WCO may verify the legality of your license purchase.

Read everything before you sign.

(Lackawanna County)

Last year the guy in front of me in line was from NY. I almost fell over when when I heard how much he paid for an out of state license It was around $100. Yikes.