Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Recommendation for home defense shotgun?

if $ is not a problem then I would say an FN SLP my wife has one and loves it's I think for HD a semi shotgun is better for for those who don't do a lot of shooting.put a person under pressure of haveing to use it an you want something that all she has to do is kick off the safety and pull the trigger.the less you have to do when the wolf is at the door the better.my wife loves her fn and shoots it a lot with a gas action theres less recoil and she shoots full loads of OO buck with out a problem.trust me you wouldn't want to mess with her when she has a shotgun in her hands.here is a pic of her at a match.hope this helps.crazywolf
    Last edited by crazywolf; June 28th, 2012 at 07:51 PM.

(Monroe County)

You could also look at a Saiga if you want a semi auto. You could get a standard configuration for about $500 or less if you can find a used one.

It gives you less kick than a pump action (my preferred choice) and comes with 19(?) inch barrel. No need to convert it you can use ten round magazines which should be plenty to handle a threat. While you cannot top it off like a pump you can reload much quicker than fully reloading a pump. It also has a side mount which makes it very easy to mount a red dot if you wished. All this with AK reliability.

(York County)

First off a shotgun is a great home defense weapon, but only if you go to one corner of a bedroom with the shotgun pointed at the door and wait!! If you think that clearing a house "hunting" for the intruder with out back up is your goal with a shotgun, you ain't going to last!

A long gun is super simple to disarm someone clearing a small confined home. I've seen a demonstration of this on more than one occasion.

That being said, if you are looking for a "sit on your butt and wait for the BG shotgun", don't snob of the .410! A 3 inch .410 shot shell fires 3/4 ounce of shot at 1100 feet per second, resulting in approximately 800 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle, and a 2.5" .410 with 1/2 ounce of shot produces approximately 600 foot pounds at the muzzle. The delivered energy at the defense ranges considered here are greater than a .357 Magnum revolver cartridge, but the longer barrel and greater weight of the shotgun results in less than half the noise and recoil. More important, the shot pattern is about 8 inches in diameter at 20 feet (full choke), and does not generally penetrate a wall, whereas a .357 Mag bullet pierces walls easily...and unintended victims on the other side.

I purchased a Mossberg HS410 for my wife and it is a wonderful weapon for the misses and even me!! 18.5 inch barrel, 6 shots and spreader choke on the end of the barrel. The action is super smooth and this small shotgun draws up on target wonderfully!!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

(Lawrence County)

I've found the 870 Youth models are perfect for petite ladies.

Lycanandtheyhandlefastthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Lackawanna County)

I would recommend a Remington 870. they are relatively easy to come by new and used at reasonable prices. I picked up a side saddle shell holder, but look carefully at these. depending on the fore end it may not fit properly/ fit without modifications to the fore end. shop around for ammo. theres a bunch of low recoil defense loads out there. I like short barrels for HD, but its not that huge a factor to me. If you are strictly looking for a HD shotgun, by all means just hacksaw the barrel, BUT READ THE LAWS BEFORE YOU CUT!!! If your wife is inexperienced with firearms, a light / laser combo (with some training of course) would probably be of some use to her, though some may find that too Tacticool.

Good luck with your purchase, and stay safe.
    Que sera, Sera

(York County)

I have to agree that the 870 is at the top of my list for MY shotgun. It's what I shot at the academy and loved it!

However, I remember one of our 2 female cadets shooting that same weapon, stooped down behind cover and LITERALLY rolled her on her butt when she fired! I will never forget that site, which is why I couldn't see leaving an 870 in my petite wife's hands if I am absent from home.

Just something to consider.
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

(Berks County)

Hawk 982 - cheaper and made better then the 870, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by phrank View Post
    Would like one to keep in the house basically for home defense, a shotgun that would be reasonable easy for my wife to operate and shoot, she is not proficient with a handgun.

What would you recommend ?
    I've had the same Wingmaster for 34 years, so I'm a big fan of the 870. They're simple, dependable & there's lots of aftermarket stuff for them.

Before you decide on a shotgun for HD, see if you can borrow a pump gun (any one will do) & take your wife to the range. She may decide she doesn't want to use one or can't handle it effectively. Then there's plan B- Taser? OC?
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12