Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default S&W 1911PD Commander Questions

I recently picked one of these up. The pistol of course is amazing but I am looking for magazines that are flush with the base (if I loose a round of capacity so be it..) Also the factory rear grip below the rear safety comes to almost a point at either end on the base. I suspect with a decent amount of fire it could dig into my hand pretty good. Wondering if there is a replacement for this?

Thanks

(Chester County)

Default Re: S&W 1911PD Commander Questions

Quote Originally Posted by svltrack View Post
    I recently picked one of these up. The pistol of course is amazing but I am looking for magazines that are flush with the base (if I loose a round of capacity so be it..) Also the factory rear grip below the rear safety comes to almost a point at either end on the base. I suspect with a decent amount of fire it could dig into my hand pretty good. Wondering if there is a replacement for this?

Thanks
    Any standard 1911 magazine should fit this gun. It really isn't hard to find a flush fitting magazine for a 1911. Tripp Research 7 round magazines are hard to beat if you don't mind stainless http://www.trippresearch.com/store/store_1911.html. Otherwise, check Metalform's website.

If by "the factory rear grip below the rear safety comes to almost a point" you are referring to the "mainspring housing" (which, by the way, is located below the "grip safety" - it's always easier to address these issues if we know the proper part name), there are more than a few replacement parts on the market that might fit your needs, but I must admit that in 40+ years of shooting the 1911 I have never heard of anyone having that problem and I've known some people with some pretty big hands. I'd probably wait and see if it is actually a problem before looking for a replacement part.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by AJG View Post
    Any standard 1911 magazine should fit this gun. It really isn't hard to find a flush fitting magazine for a 1911. Tripp Research 7 round magazines are hard to beat if you don't mind stainless http://www.trippresearch.com/store/store_1911.html. Otherwise, check Metalform's website.

If by "the factory rear grip below the rear safety comes to almost a point" you are referring to the "mainspring housing" (which, by the way, is located below the "grip safety" - it's always easier to address these issues if we know the proper part name), there are more than a few replacement parts on the market that might fit your needs, but I must admit that in 40+ years of shooting the 1911 I have never heard of anyone having that problem and I've known some people with some pretty big hands. I'd probably wait and see if it is actually a problem before looking for a replacement part.
    You are right. I need to put some rounds through it before I do anything. Please excuse my lack of correct jargon.

(Chester County)

By the way, I do agree that the magazine baseplate that ships with the S&W 1911's, if it is still the same as came with mine, is a truly ugly design that provides no benefit that can't be had with a much less conspicuous design.

If you want to keep the 8 round capacity, take a look at Wilson Combat's 47DC or 47 DCB. They have a thin steel basepad on them that isn't exactly flush, but is pretty low profile. Many shooters believe that having at least some basepad extension below the frame provides for more positive seating of the magazine during a magazine change. I normally carry a flush magazine in the gun and a Wilson with a slim basepad and a Trip spring and follower as a spare for that reason. The Tripp spring and follower will reduce even an eight round magazine to 7 rounds, but I use them because they have proven to be so absolutely reliable for me. The spring has a couple of extra coils providing more power and the follower has a metal insert instead of plastic where it engages the slide release which prevents wear which may eventually cause the slide to stop locking back on an empty magazine. It's sold as a Super Seven upgrade kit. http://www.trippresearch.com/store/store_1911.html. If you want to try one sometime let me know. I'm just down the road from you in Exton and get up to both Kimberton and French Creek with some regularity.
    Last edited by AJG; February 15th, 2010 at 12:43 AM.

(Lehigh County)

You can also use Chip McCormick's 8 round mags that will also fit flush.