Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Thumbs up Bill To Allow Concealed Firearms Passes Wyo. House

Did the obligatory search and didn't get a hit so I'm posting this story;

http://cbs4denver.com/wireapnewswy/B...2.1489346.html

Bill To Allow Concealed Firearms Passes Wyo. House

BEN NEARY, Associated Press Writer

CHEYENNE, Wyo. (AP) ― Wyoming residents could carry concealed guns without a state permit under a bill that advanced in the Legislature on Thursday with a 52-6 vote in the House of Representatives.

Under existing Wyoming law, people must obtain a state-issued permit to carry a concealed weapon. The state requires training and background checks and has issued more than 10,000 of the permits.

Forty-eight states allow people to carry concealed weapons and all but Alaska and Vermont require permits. Legislation is pending in Arizona that would allow people to carry concealed guns without a permit.

Rep. Lorraine Quarberg, R-Thermopolis, is the main sponsor of House Bill 113. It now heads to the House Judiciary Committee.

"It's a good idea for anybody in the United States, not just in Wyoming, because it basically solidifies and codifies and affirms our Second Amendment right, and allows us to protect ourselves," Quarberg said after the House vote.

If her bill becomes law, Quarberg said people would still have the option of getting a state-issued concealed weapons permit. She said that would allow them to carry concealed guns in other states that have reciprocity with Wyoming.

State permits also allow people to buy guns without going through federal background checks.

Sen. Cale Case, R-Lander, a co-sponsor of the bill, has supported several gun-rights bills in past sessions and is carrying a bill this year that would address reciprocity issues between Wyoming and other states over concealed gun permits.

"It comes down to a constitutional right," Case said. "The U.S. Constitution and the constitution for the state of Wyoming both guarantee the opportunity to keep and bear arms."

Rep. James W. Byrd, D-Cheyenne, was among those who voted against the bill.

"I think it's a terrible idea," Byrd said after the House vote. "First of all, it adds another level of danger to our peace officers who are the front line in the field. It ties their hands in determining whether or not an individual is lawfully carrying a weapon or not.

"In Wyoming, we have a special case where we have officers who are really out on their own, and don't have the luxury of having backup with them at all times, Byrd said.

(Adams County)

Default Re: Bill To Allow Concealed Firearms Passes Wyo. House

"I think it's a terrible idea," Byrd said after the House vote. "First of all, it adds another level of danger to our peace officers who are the front line in the field. It ties their hands in determining whether or not an individual is lawfully carrying a weapon or not.
    That's total bull! A LEO should only be reacting to a firearm if it is drawn and being used in a threatening, unlawful manner. If the officer is uncomfortable around people with weapons, maybe he should choose another career field.

Good for you, Wyoming!
    Oath Keeper, MMIX - Ad Infinitum

(Lehigh County)

Given the lopsidedness of the vote, this bill will probably sail through their Senate. Anyone know if their governor is likely to sign it?
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    Given the lopsidedness of the vote, this bill will probably sail through their Senate.
    I didn't think I would have to bold that for people to pick up on it....

Anyone know if their governor is likely to sign it?
    Until 2 weeks ago, it was the head of the DHS, Janet Napolitano. It is now Jan Brewer who is pro 2A.

From the NRA website;

Looks like the Arizona Congress played this one smart!

I think it will sail through! I also like the model they want to adopt. From the OP;

"If her bill becomes law, Quarberg said people would still have the option of getting a state-issued concealed weapons permit. She said that would allow them to carry concealed guns in other states that have reciprocity with Wyoming."
    EDIT: Had a brain fart! This post is about Arizona when I meant to be talking about Wyoming
    Last edited by buster2209; February 14th, 2010 at 09:18 PM.

(Dauphin County)

First of all, it adds another level of danger to our peace officers who are the front line in the field.
    Does anyone know if Josh Sugarmann is behind this term abuse? What peace officers in Wyoming could they possibly be talking about? Just who is it out there in 'the front line of the field' that are only making arrests for crimes that violate the life, liberty, or property of another in subversion to the public peace? I bet there aren't any -- they are all 'police officers' or 'law enforcement officers' (at least as PA law would term them).

[quote]It ties their hands in determining whether or not an individual is lawfully carrying a weapon or not.[quote]

Both James Byrd and the police having an issue need to get the fuck over it. The underlying ideal there is nothing less than what is supposed to be one of the pillars of our 'great, free nation', the presumption of innocence. Yes, they might have a gun, because they have a right to have a gun and are probably supposed to always have a gun anyway as part of the militia!

(Lehigh County)

Until 2 weeks ago, it was the head of the DHS, Janet Napolitano. It is now Jan Brewer who is pro 2A.
    I was curious as to Wyoming's governor... the article does not say anything about Arizona's bill passing the house...
    Last edited by General Geoff; February 14th, 2010 at 08:58 PM.

(Delaware County)

From what I gathered by quickly googling, Wyoming Gov Dave Freudenthal is an old school Dem. In 2009 he signed two NRA backed bills into law, but they didn't have much to do with gun rights as they did with notifying defendants of the rights they would lose IF they pled guilty to certain crimes.

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/read.aspx?id=4504

In his bio on his web page it says he enjoys hunting and fishing. We all know that means nothing, but still.

Given the large favor the house has for the bill it would only be logical to think that this bill would pass no problem. Even if the gov doesn't sign it (or vetos it) couldn't a large majority vote override that? It would be HUGE for this country if this passes.

(Chester County)

I was curious as to Wyoming's governor... the article does not say anything about Arizona's bill passing the house...
    My bad, I had Arizona on the brain from a previous thread

Again, from the NRA website;

http://www.nrapvf.org/News/Article.aspx?ID=216 (scroll about 2/3 of the way down the page);

WYOMING:

RE-ELECT DAVE FREUDENTHAL

As governor of Wyoming, Dave Freudenthal has proven to be a solid advocate of Second Amendment rights and our hunting heritage. He has taken the batfe to court over the state’s right to restore firearm rights, and has supported sportsmen’s rights against those who would use their tax dollars for non-hunting-related programs. Gun owners should give strong support to Gov. Freudenthal on Election Day.
    It looks like it wont be vetoed.

(Lehigh County)

Excellent.

(Adams County)

It looks like it wont be vetoed.
    Good! One state at a time...
    Oath Keeper, MMIX - Ad Infinitum

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast