Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default AK Stock Interchangeability

If I get a full stock AK (trying to figure out which one to buy), can I later change out the stock for a side folding or underfolding stock? Does the receiver have to be machined different? Are the folding stocks available & cheap enough?

Alternatively, if I get a folding stock, can I later add a full stock? How much are stock kits? I'd want to get the wooden stock & fore end & not the synthetics.

(York County)

Default Re: AK Stock Interchangeability

romy side folders will bolt onto fixed stock trunions, excepting yugo trunions.

buy a romy fixed stock gun adn the romy sidefolder.

(Philadelphia County)

There are side folding stock assemblies that require no gunsmithing. They bolt on to the rear trunion as stated above and add a little bit of length to the back of the gun. There are also solutions that require a little bit of modification but nothing that the typical handyman can't handle. I'm in the process of doing a sidefolder now and so far it's not too difficult. Although there's still time to screw it up
    An underfolder would be more difficult.

However... speaking only from my own experience...
    if you buy an AK and like the format you will most certainly buy more in each flavor.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    If I get a full stock AK (trying to figure out which one to buy), can I later change out the stock for a side folding or underfolding stock? Does the receiver have to be machined different? Are the folding stocks available & cheap enough?

Alternatively, if I get a folding stock, can I later add a full stock? How much are stock kits? I'd want to get the wooden stock & fore end & not the synthetics.
    UF = new trunnion, and you will need to cut the holes in the receiver for the mechanism.

SF = Depends. Rommy (Button and Lever), E. German crutch, Egyptian crutch will all just screw into the rear trunnion. The triangle and K-var style SF will require new rear trunnion and machining to the receiver and front trunnion to hold the lock-up mechanism.

Don't expect these to work on Yugos.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Allegheny County)

Yeah that Bulgy / Russian style solid side folder is a mother! Probably the most work out of all of them if you wanted to retrofit that.

Sucks too because that's exactly what I want! (Dammit)

All the benefits of a fixed stock, benefits of a folder. But it also folds to the scope rail side and doesn't get in the way of things like Oh, the safety... the trigger. Like some of the other ones either do, or kind of do.

I think it's like probably about a $300 job though with all the parts... (Again... Dammit)

(Luzerne County)

I put a tantal AK74 sidefolder on a Rommy AK47. It took a little bit of tewaking to fit but works like it was made for it.

WBK