Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default I think the Primer scare is over

I have been to 2 guns shops in the last week, and both times I was able to buy a 1k sleeve of Federal Large Pistol. Prices are $33-34, so no movement there; but that might just be where prices are going to stay.

(Perry County)

Default Re: I think the Primer scare is over

I believe you are right that the scare is winding down. I disagree that the prices will stay so high, when the scare truly ends prices should drop pretty dramatically. At least I hope so as I am waiting to horde some!!

(Luzerne County)

I agree with Rundownfid, I think the scare is lessening, not over; until the shelves are full of primers, the prices will stay high. Once people quit panic-buying primers and they start showing up on shelves regularly, I think there will be a dramatic loss of demand because so many have already stockpiled so many primers that they will not have the need to buy any in a long time. I imagine the prices will soon thereafter take a big price dump.
    loose≠lose; you're=you are; 'your' shows possession.

(Berks County)

Starting to see more and more in my area. Berks, Schuylkill, Lebanon County areas.

Prices seem to be sticking around $30 to $35/k though.

I think there will be a dramatic loss of demand because so many have already stockpiled so many primers that they will not have the need to buy any in a long time.
    I don't know, there has been a huge increase in the amount of reloaders. Some of the manufacturers have common stuff out of stock and some of the more popular equipment/dies are even hard to find sometimes or backorder. Reloading used to be kind of a smaller niche in the shooting community, it has hit the mainstream big time.

I imagine the prices will soon thereafter take a big price dump.
    I hope so, but I don't expect a decrease to levels of pre-Obama. The market price will be what the market will bear. Right now prices are still high.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Franklin County)

I agree it is GETTING better. But is not better yet. If you look at the top 5 sources online, you cant hardly find a primer in stock, except Wolf, and I have never used them before.

Even Reddings Hardware in Gettysburg has dropped there prices on some primers. All of their primers were around 55-60 per 1000 about 2 months ago. Just picked up 2000 Federal Large Pistols for $30/1000.

One of my local shops has not received any large rifle primers of any kind for 6 months or so.

So, it is getting better, but has a ways to go yet. Finding Winchester 231 or 748 locally is next to impossible too right now.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAfarmboy View Post
    I agree it is GETTING better. But is not better yet. If you look at the top 5 sources online, you cant hardly find a primer in stock, except Wolf, and I have never used them before.

Even Reddings Hardware in Gettysburg has dropped there prices on some primers. All of their primers were around 55-60 per 1000 about 2 months ago. Just picked up 2000 Federal Large Pistols for $30/1000.

One of my local shops has not received any large rifle primers of any kind for 6 months or so.

So, it is getting better, but has a ways to go yet. Finding Winchester 231 or 748 locally is next to impossible too right now.
    Talk about price gauging! $60 per thousand? I would not give a store like that my business ever again.

Most gun shops here have a large amount on hand all the time.

I grab 100-300 everytime I'm out and about and I snag them from Walmart as well

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    Talk about price gauging! $60 per thousand? I would not give a store like that my business ever again.
    Yep ! When prices started to rise early-on, these guys shot them up to $50.00, as they must have sensed the coming market. I have been in there and asked of primers before BHO was elected, and they were rising even then, and as early as last spring, they were at the $50. mark.

That was truly gougeing. So I drive a bit more for my primers, even though Reddings is now more in line with the general market. There are shops over along the river who will get my business sooner, even though it is 60 miles round-trip more. They worked with us during the worst of the "shortage", and did so fairly.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Stooperzero View Post
    Most gun shops here have a large amount on hand all the time.

I grab 100-300 everytime I'm out and about and I snag them from Walmart as well
    You just gave yourself away, SZ, as a "dabbler" in reloading. Real hardcore reloaders wont stop less than 3 THOUSAND at a time.

Most hoarders who are honest will admit to a stash in the order of 40 or 50 Thousand. Then, there are those of us who say "I got enough for a while"

Flash (I'm one or the other of them)
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Yep ! When prices started to rise early-on, these guys shot them up to $50.00, as they must have sensed the coming market. I have been in there and asked of primers before BHO was elected, and they were rising even then, and as early as last spring, they were at the $50. mark.

That was truly gougeing. So I drive a bit more for my primers, even though Reddings is now more in line with the general market. There are shops over along the river who will get my business sooner, even though it is 60 miles round-trip more. They worked with us during the worst of the "shortage", and did so fairly.

Flash
    I never saw primers above $32/1000 at my local shop (well, bench rest were about 35 or 36 per 1000, I think). The prices were good, but he would generally limit buying 1000 at a time. This kept the primers on the shelf... but made it hard to hoard a bunch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast