Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (York County)

Cool Re: Public Range - No membership required?

I was at the sgl range 2-3 weeks ago and they were unloading 20-30 at a time, knowone seemed to care. The don"t have anyone to police it. 'whats the worst that can happen'.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Public Range - No membership required?

A fat fine is the worse that can happen. I'm sure someone on here can vouch for that. I got a warning a few years back. I fired 10rds from the WASR, not rapid fire, just as the officer rolled up. Joined a club, and never looked back.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by sdm74 View Post
    Nope only one might be the york indoor range next to fairgrounds.
    I was just in there today. They are kind-of .... er.r.r.r. .... well, um, ahhhhh......... funny! About answering the door. They have a sensor that notices your presence there, and will give you a recorded "We will be with you shortly",, and then, after you walk around, read the bulletin board and look at all the self-congratulatory notices on the wall, if you go into the range room a couple of times, and trip the alarm a time or two, someone will eventually appear to see just what it is that you are up to - - er, "want".

There were five people in there behind the counter when I went in, but it took five minutes for any one of them to come out through the locked door to greet me.

But then, when I did get an attendant, he was decently personable (as were they all) and showed me around the range, and then into the gunshop. The owner is friendly and decently knowledgeable about firearms, too. He said he has owned the place for fifteen years.

The shop is fairly decentlly stocked with handguns, a few rifles, and simply GANGS OF AMMUNITION. Now I did not ask price on ammo, but the gun prices were in line with what I expected - neither lowball nor insufferably high. All-in-all, I don't think I would hesitate to buy a firearm from them.

They do offer instruction, it would seem. I don't know to what depth or by whom (I didn't ask of certification).

The range is a full 75 feet (25 yards), six or eight lanes, motorized target carriers, controllable lights, and looks as nice as any indoor range I have shot in for years. I did not ask about who owns the spent brass, which I should have. Sometimes that is an issue for reloaders. The reason I mention that is that I have shot at ranges which FIRMLY state that any brass in front of the firing point belongs to the range, you cannot have it. Period. (I had a way of dealing with that guy.)

Range rates was quoted to me at "$15.00 per half-hour, single occupancy. Double on the same lane $18.00". For me, that seems a bit pricey, but it seems a nice place to shoot. I did not inquire of ventilation, which is a TRULY SIGNIFICANT issue in an indooor range. If I didn't have a good range at the club near me, and if I were near to this one, I might be inclined to give it a try, especially in inclement weather. He's open from (I think 10:00AM) to 9:00PM. Which would be especailly good for evenings and such.

But an hour on that range will more than pay my yearly dues at the club where I am currently a member. There is that economic factor. The second hour will more than pay for my initiation fee, were I to join anew. And I guess that would temper my decision as to whether I would desire to join or not join a club. What is the alternative? Where is the "break-even point"?

Hope that helps your choices.

Flash

OH YEAH ! TRANSFER FEES ! The transfer fee here was FORTY FIVE DOLLARS ! WOWIE ! ! ! ! A bud and I wanted to trade guns, and he said, well, he'd do the second one for half-price, if we did the two of them together. $67.50, total

We went up the street to Stubby Gear (by the way, a top-notch place to deal) and got them for $20.00 each. Both transfers for less than what West York Range wanted for one.

And maybe this post really belongs in the "places to shop" forum.
    Last edited by Flash; February 18th, 2010 at 12:05 AM. Reason: ETA - "OH YEAH..."
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(York County)

well, for now the SGL range works, but once it gets warmer, if i'm still in the area, i guess joining a range won't be too bad. another reason i'm reluctant to join a range, is that i'm not interested in a lot of competitions or meetings and such, at the moment. i'd like to go to a place where i can pay, shoot, go home. maybe sign up for a class every now and then. nothing else really.

thanks for the responses guys. i'll just start looking around at the private clubs i guess.

Can anyone give me a link to more info on the SGL ranges? I just moved into the area & could use info on all the local ranges ( having a hard time finding much online) .. I would like to join a club but till I find the right one the State Public range would be great , However I cant find info on them ...

any help would be great . THANKS!!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBmore View Post
    Can anyone give me a link to more info on the SGL ranges? I just moved into the area & could use info on all the local ranges ( having a hard time finding much online) .. I would like to join a club but till I find the right one the State Public range would be great , However I cant find info on them ...

any help would be great . THANKS!!

The closest public shooting range to Red Lion seems to be State Game Land (SGL) #242 here.

Thanks for the info!! seems pretty far .... can anyone suggest some good ranges closer to Red lion or even the MD line ? that have decent fees/rates ?

(York County)

http://windsorfishandgame.org/

Try here,
    it's close to redlion.
    It's only $30.00 for the first year.
    Only have to go to the first club meeting to join.
    First Monday of the month at 7:30pm
    Last edited by Gun Bowanna; February 19th, 2010 at 02:07 PM.
    Wouldn't you like to know what's in my safe.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bowanna View Post
    http://windsorfishandgame.org/

Try here,
    it's close to redlion.
    It's only $30.00 for the first year.
    Only have to go to the first club meeting to join.
    First Monday of the month at 7:30pm
    i keep looking at ranges, and i keep coming back to this one. the rifle range appears to be outdoors (which i prefer). and it's relatively close by. not to mention the price is pretty good.

how does one go about getting sponsors?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12