Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Union County)

Default checking out Bersa

I'm thinking about picking up a Bersa .380 and was hoping someone could talk me into or out of this gun. I plan on using it as a carry gun, but am not used to the caliber. Is .380 adequate or should I upscale. I've heard that the Bersa is highly reliable and the price is right down my ally...

(Bucks County)

Default Re: checking out Bersa

my friend has a bersa and it broke, i dont remember what broke on it but you get what you pay for, it has a heavy trigger, and .380 is expensive, go for a 9mm. if you are gonna go with a cheap gun get a kel tec, or better yet find a used glock for 400

(Columbia County)

Don't do it. Bersas are junk. I have one that is very unreliable and just sits in my safe. I don't even take it to the range anymore because all it did was piss me off. I would never, ever trust my life with that gun.

If you want a small .380, go for a Ruger LCP. It's got an ugly trigger pull, tough-to-find sights, and a nasty recoil, but it is reliable and very concealable.

(Warren County)

DON'T! waste your money on Bersa.......... and definitely don't risk your life on it!!!!! they are junk!
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Cumberland County)

echoing others... bersa are a poor choice for a gun that you trust you life on.

used glocks and XD subcompact can be had for ~$400.
    LCP is an option if YOU MUST have a .380, but I'd definitely recommend at least a 9mm. Ammo is just too effing hard to find/expensive
    Last edited by jachrist; February 11th, 2010 at 12:34 AM.

(Columbia County)

Just to add to the general sentiments expressed so far, I'm by no means a gun snob. I'm not downing Bersa just because they're inexpensive. I'm downing them because of my personal experience of them being junk. I wish I had never bought mine. Save yourself the money and frustration.
    Last edited by max384; February 11th, 2010 at 12:42 AM.

(Pike County)

My first firearm was a Bersa Thunder 380. After sending it back for repair three times (trigger spring kept breaking), I decided to go with a Glock 9mm.
    No problems with the Glock and not much bigger than the Bersa.

As stated before, you want a gun you can count on if something happens - not a gun you hope will work.

(Lancaster County)

I don't think I've ever seen a Bersa thread where this many people responded negatively.

I've had nothing but positive experiences with Bersa firearms. I owned a Bersa Thunder 380 for quite a while, but sold it once ammo became non-existent for it. I miss it and will buy another one once ammo is a bit easier to get ahold of. I put well over 1000 rounds through that gun without a single malfunction of any kind.

I have several friends who also own Thunder 380's and have had the same experience. When you're talking about a gun that sells for between $200-$300 brand new, there is no comparison. People commonly recommend Kel-tec as an alternative...go ahead..compare the two side by side. You'll pick the one that doesn't feel like a cheap toy--that's the Bersa.

Just like any other product on the market, there are some out there that have problems, that's how all products work. The vast majority are flawless, but there are a few duds that come off the line, and those are the ones people get talkative about. People always complain when things are bad, but they generally don't have a whole lot to say when they work the way they're supposed to.

The Thunder .380 is an exceptionally popular gun. There's a reason for that. The price is right, the quality is good (especially for the price), they are reliable and reasonably accurate. They also have low recoil, which is a plus compared to competitive models like the Ruger LCP or Kel-Tec.

As far as .380 being an adequate caliber, well that's a different question altogether. The short answer is no, it isn't really adequate, but it's better than nothing. A 9mm is probably a better choice for caliber, but the choices of small, good quality, inexpensive guns in 9mm are few.

If you want to continue to consider Bersa, but want a larger caliber, they make the Thunder 9, 40, and 45 as well.

They are about the same length and height as the .380 model, but are a good bit thicker. I currently have a Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact Pro in .45 ACP, and damn, what a nice gun! It cost all of $340 but I am left wanting for nothing.

It's small, and relatively light. The trigger is fantastic as well. The DA is long and heavy as it should be, and the SA is short, light, and crisp. It has a combination decocker/safety lever, does not have the unpopular magazine disconnect safety, and has an internal lock (loved by some, hated by many, indifferent to me).

My father and I both have the .45 Ultra Compact models, and they are both unquestionably reliable and accurate. The only difference between them is that mine is the newer model with the new barrel design. The new design uses polygonal rifling which lends to increased accuracy and easier cleaning.

I've also owned the Mini-Firestorm in .40 S&W. This is an older model, also a Bersa design, which is almost identical to the new Ultra Compact models. It was fantastically reliable as well, but I found I was just not a fan of the .40 S&W cartridge. I sold that gun to another member on the forum here and to my knowledge it worked quite well for her as well.

The first thing you need to do is consider your caliber options. The .380 is underpowered, but will allow you to carry a small and inexpensive gun. The larger calibers will give you additional options for weapons, but will generally require a larger and more expensive firearm.

As for whether or not Bersa is a good choice, that's up to you. See if you can find a range that has one you can rent and try out, or see if anyone you know has one. Compare it to the other options on the market. When you're talking about .380, there is no comparison.

Good luck in your search, hope you find what you need!

(Monroe County)

Over, 3,000 of my posts contain overt anti-bersa protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Union County)

Thanks all for the info...Truthfully, I was not expecting as much negative on the Bersa. Other places seem to contain a lot of positive on the gun which is why I was thinking about getting one. However, I am revising my thoughts on it due to all the negative coming from this thread. Also, good points were made on the lack of ammo and how expensive it is. I was checking it out and was suprised that the ammo is not a "cheap" shoot. I think I will keep checking and probably raise the caliber to 9mm...I already have two .45ACPs...but, my favorite carry gun so far is a .38 special snubby that I intended for my wife :-)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast