Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: checking out Bersa

Anytime I'm looking for a NEW gun I do a full web search.
    What would we do without the internet?
    For a realistic review I usually go to Gunblast.com

You want to know about a Bersa 380 Check it out.

http://www.gunblast.com/Bersa_Thunder380.htm

I own a Bersa Thunder .380 and carry it quite often. I think it's a great pistol.
    I love the simplistic straight blowback design. It's a great shooter and very accurate,I believe that's do to the stationary barrel. I did have a few(3) fte during break in and a couple ftf the last round in the mag during break in period also, but that all worked itself out. I did allot of homework on the pistol before I bought it, and read everything I could and found that after reading the reviews and talking face to face with actual owners of the
    BT 380's they are a very good pistol for it's price range. It's one of my favorite pistols to shoot. I just wish I could find more .380 WWB's at Walmart. It does shoot hollow points well for SD purposes.
    Now if you want to go to a 9mm and spend a small furtune the Kahr PM9 is my choice. It reminds me of a baby brother to my XD9sc but cost more. LOL

IMO the Bersa Thunder .380 is the best kept secrete in the .380 market and has quite a following.

(Centre County)

Until last summer I carried my Bersa Thunder .380 everywhere and it never gave me any problems. It was reliable and accurate. If I pulled the trigger it put a bullet down range.

I'd recommend it to others.

I think they are well made and very accurate.
    However, I did have some trouble with mine jamming when new.
    I have put about 200 rounds through it and it just sits around now.

If your interested in a like new duo tone coming with two boxes of ammo, just shoot me a PM.

Good luck with your decision.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by scoutjoe View Post
    I get ragged on all the time for "only carrying a .380" Yes I understand there are more powerful calibers out there but with the Thunder 380 I have a relatively compact, inexpensive handgun that goes bang every time I pull the trigger*. Cost was an issue, if it wasn't I'd be carrying a Sig but when I bought my Bersa I was paying my way through college.

Yes .380 is a little harder to come by, and finding accessories for the Bersa line isn't as easy as for a Glock/XD etc but they are available.

I'll tell ya the same thing I tell people when I'm behind the counter, you need to find a pistol that is going to fit your hand, then look at what you want it for. If you're going to keep it on you I carry mine daily and it rides well, if I was going to leave it bedside I would of picked a full size with a rail.

/off soapbox

* My Thunder 380 hates American Eagle and Fiocchi and it runs crappy on the Pro-Mag drum. Using other ammo and factory mags she just runs.
    I am with you, but the price of .380 has increased way beyond other calibers. For me, the Bersa .380 is a fine choice. But - my Walther PPS .40 actually fits my hand better.

(Butler County)

The first gun that I purchased in Aug of '07 was the Bersa .380 DuoTone. Still carry it most of the time.

Just purchased one for the wife because it was not hard for her to put a round in the chamber.

It has only jammed twice in about a 1000 rounds. First was from limp wristing it.
    John Stuart Mill noted: ‘A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares about more than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.’

(Lackawanna County)

My wife decided she wanted a smaller carry gun, and we went shopping today. The choice ended up being between a Kahr .40 and a Bersa Firestorm .380.

I hate to say it, but the Bersa just feels better built. We slammed a fast 100 rounds through, all kinds, no problems.

It actually seemed to like the Magtech Guardian +P 85 grain; that's over 330 meters per second through a barrel this size; like 300 joules of energy (225 pound feet)...virtually identical to most 9mm ammo.

She knows that it is fewer rounds, but it IS a nice little gun, and she shoots better with it.

I let you know what we think when we break 1000 rounds or so.

Oh, and we could have bought three of them for what the Kahr costs.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Bucks County)

I have had a .380 Bersa Thunder for many years. As well as an FNP-9, a Kimber Compact .45, Rugers and Walthers, as well as a Berreta 9mm. I have never had a problem with my Bersa and I shoot it often. I have in fact had problems with my Kimber and the FNP-9, both were returned for service.
    You get what you pay for. I paid $219 for my Bersa. As far as carrying it, many people think that the 9mm should be the minimum to carry. It all depends what you are comfortable with. I would say go buy one and get acustomed to it. Mine is dead nuts accurate.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234