Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: checking out Bersa

Quote Originally Posted by mak47 View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen a Bersa thread where this many people responded negatively.
    Same here. I carried a Bersa .380 every day for over two years with no problems (except for the disconnector spring, which, as mentioned, is no longer an issue). Wish I'd had the 9mm, by many accounts one of the best kept secrets anywhere.

Poke around at http://www.bersatalk.com for more info than you can imagine (yes, a biased group, but you'll find out about the bad and ugly as well as the good).
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. -- Jeff Cooper

(Northampton County)

As with all mass produced guns your going to hear about the good and the bad.
    If you check out the forums for Beretta, Sig and Glock you will find that there are
    problems with all manufactured pistols. I just read about a KIMBER $$$$ that was
    failing to fire. That's why a life time warranty is so important.
    I've owned a Bersa 380 for two years shoot hundreds of rounds and have never had a problem.
    If I did, I would simply send it back and get it repaired for FREE.
    If you decide to go 9mm instead of 380 do yourself a favor and check out the
    Bersa 9mm Ultra compact model. It's in your price range, isn't much bigger than
    the 380, is all metal and is completely dependable. GOOD SHOOTING!

(Lycoming County)

I have a Bersa 9mm UC and 40 cal HC. They are fine guns. I must have 750 rounds through the 9mm with barely a hiccup. As some of the others have said, very accurate and a great price. I heard they had problems years ago, but I am thrilled with the two I have. If you'd like to get the real story on Bersas, talk to Master Gunsmith Royce Honeycutt at www.coloradogunworks.com

(Blair County)

I get ragged on all the time for "only carrying a .380" Yes I understand there are more powerful calibers out there but with the Thunder 380 I have a relatively compact, inexpensive handgun that goes bang every time I pull the trigger*. Cost was an issue, if it wasn't I'd be carrying a Sig but when I bought my Bersa I was paying my way through college.

Yes .380 is a little harder to come by, and finding accessories for the Bersa line isn't as easy as for a Glock/XD etc but they are available.

I'll tell ya the same thing I tell people when I'm behind the counter, you need to find a pistol that is going to fit your hand, then look at what you want it for. If you're going to keep it on you I carry mine daily and it rides well, if I was going to leave it bedside I would of picked a full size with a rail.

/off soapbox

* My Thunder 380 hates American Eagle and Fiocchi and it runs crappy on the Pro-Mag drum. Using other ammo and factory mags she just runs.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

I also have a .380 Bersa that has been nothing but reliable. Do a full web search and I think you will find more favorable opinions then negative.

(Susquehanna County)

love mine, carry it everywhere, all the time. never had a single problem with it with the exception of some slight surface rust from carrying it concealed,(sit against my bare skin, guessing sweat it making it rust) accurate, fun gun to fire, without a ftf, or ftl.

my opinion
    mikey

(Allegheny County)

I bought the Bersa 380 4 years ago and have had zero problems with it. I paid $215 new at a going out of business sale. I do carry it and LOVE the way it shoots and fits my hand. I have around 500 rounds through it mostly Remington and reloads with no issues. I let my Uncle (retired Chief of Police) shoot it and he went out and bought one. (He is a 100 % Glock fan). However, his carry gun is a Tharus 357 revolver. I would recommend the Bersa with out thinking about price. But the price is a bonus.....

All that said I would look at the Kahr as a carry pistol. The P9 is lighter than the Bersa and I like the 9mm Luger round a little better than the 380. I have no problem with the 380 but I like the Kahr better. I have shot several Gocks and they don't fit my hand as well as the Kahr and Bersa.

(Bucks County)

I bought my Bersa .380 just over a month ago. I have put 150 rounds through it with zero problems. It has been a lot of fun to shoot, accurate, and conceals well. I would definately recommend a Bersa to anyone, especially if your funds are limited.

(Cambria County)

Before you buy a Bersa, check out the KAHR's. I have a CW9 that is so thin and small that I can comfortable pocket carry it inside a pocket holster. Chambered in 9mm you have a bit more bite to your round, they are a bit cheaper to shoot, so you will shot it more, and you have a better selection of self defense ammo to chose from.

I initially bought one for the wife, cause she liked the double action trigger (felt safer in her mind). She didn't find it to hard to pull (Better than the Kel-tec I had got her) and found it comfortable to shoot (the way it is designed, recoil is no problem in such a small light pistol). A short time later, I ended up buying myself one. When the XD isn't on my hip, the KAHR is.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Armstrong County)

If you are looking at that style of firearm, check out the surplus makarovs. I like the Czech and the Bulgarian ones, the PA-63s are nice little guns too, that is more of a Walther PPK style though. 9mm makarov isnt too hard to find. From my experiences they are very reliable.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast