Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Crime Increases in Scranton

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    who's Sister Sneakers? and what does she have to do with the Scranton Housing Authority? just wondering, as i used to live in Hilltop Apts, and i've never heard of her.
    Sister Adrian. She used to have billboards in NYC (among elsewhere) and pamphlets and such telling people in the poor neighborhoods that she can get them a place to live and help them get welfare. They had buses running from the projects in NY to the projects in Scranton. They had pictures of how much nicer the projects were here (with pictures of the nicest ones in the area). Basically, she brought in the people who were leaching off of the big cities and brought them here to leach here.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by nepawolf View Post
    Sister Adrian. She used to have billboards in NYC (among elsewhere) and pamphlets and such telling people in the poor neighborhoods that she can get them a place to live and help them get welfare. They had buses running from the projects in NY to the projects in Scranton. They had pictures of how much nicer the projects were here (with pictures of the nicest ones in the area). Basically, she brought in the people who were leaching off of the big cities and brought them here to leach here.
    that's weird, i never saw any of those billboards. but, the projects here are a little nicer, albeit much, much shorter. the first time i saw them, i thought someone made a mistake. "these are the projects? they look more like condos," i said, when i first moved in.

just to be clear, the projects in NYC aren't anyplace anyone willingly moves to, except for certain complexes, like Parkchester and Co-op City, which are run more like condos than city housing. you shouldn't assume that everyone who lives in public housing wants to be there, or is 'leeching' off the system. a majority of them, like me, simply can't afford anything better.

and, living here for over 10 years, i've seen the migration patterns of NY/NJ residents to here. many of them don't live in public housing; instead, they've gone the gated community route, like Pocono Country Place, and others located outside of Scranton. while Scranton and Lackawanna Housing does have its share of scumbag residents, i've seen and recognized much worse in other neighborhoods, like Pinebrook, West Side (especially around St. Anne's), and North Scranton.

(Lackawanna County)

and, living here for over 10 years, i've seen the migration patterns of NY/NJ residents to here. many of them don't live in public housing; instead, they've gone the gated community route, like Pocono Country Place, and others located outside of Scranton. while Scranton and Lackawanna Housing does have its share of scumbag residents, i've seen and recognized much worse in other neighborhoods, like Pinebrook, West Side (especially around St. Anne's), and North Scranton.
    My own observations over the past decade have been that the majority of NY/NJ urban transplants (of all economic statuses) seem to, by and large, wind up in the private communities in and around Pike County (around the Milford / Dingmans Ferry / Bushkill / Lord's Vally areas)
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    My own observations over the past decade have been that the majority of NY/NJ urban transplants (of all economic statuses) seem to, by and large, wind up in the private communities in and around Pike County (around the Milford / Dingmans Ferry / Bushkill / Lord's Vally areas)
    your observations are sharp. i remember when my parents first bought property here, outside of Gouldsboro. the realtors seemd to be aggressively courting working, inner city families. i remember when Mt. Pocono was still a sleepy little town, with only one or two stores, and i watched it devolve into a miniaturized version of Camden/Yonkers. it got to the point were my parents, who were looking to escape the turmoil of NYC, felt like they'd been ripped off, because the city followed them to the country.

i don't think the Lackawanna region has been affected as much as those areas, and i definitely don't think that public housing is a major contributing factor.

(Lackawanna County)

just to be clear, the projects in NYC aren't anyplace anyone willingly moves to, except for certain complexes, like Parkchester and Co-op City, which are run more like condos than city housing. you shouldn't assume that everyone who lives in public housing wants to be there, or is 'leeching' off the system. a majority of them, like me, simply can't afford anything better....
    I'm all too aware of that. I'm a transplant from NY, and have had to stay in public housing. If you live, or have lived in them, then you've definitely seen that there is a good amount of them who are leaches (no matter how much in other ways they might be good people) or those of them that are just married to the projects.

ETA: For the record, most of the direct transplants go to the lower grade projects (ie: Valley View instead of Hilltop).
    Last edited by nepawolf; February 11th, 2010 at 05:08 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by nepawolf View Post
    I'm all too aware of that. I'm a transplant from NY, and have had to stay in public housing. If you live, or have lived in them, then you've definitely seen that there is a good amount of them who are leaches (no matter how much in other ways they might be good people) or those of them that are just married to the projects.

ETA: For the record, most of the direct transplants go to the lower grade projects (ie: Valley View instead of Hilltop).
    no argument there; Valleyview and Skyview are definitely ghetto-fab; i lived in Hilltop for years, and while it wasn't great, it was nowhere near as bad as those two. the worst i've ever seen is the Lackawanna comlex in Olyphant; i've never seen a more wretched hive of scum and...oh, well, you know the rest.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Yeah, alot of transplants from NY/NJ in NEPA tend to move into the edge reason like Pike and Wayne counties. The private communities is due to the similarities that those private communities have to the suburbs in NY and NJ. Most of those people tend to move into Pa for cheaper living (there's TV ads and billboards in NY, not too sure about NJ), but continue working in NY or NJ due to the higher pay.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by JCWohlschlag View Post
    Ah, thank you. I never realized that a township can be so geographically separated from a borough with the same name. Up until now, I have only seen where a borough (such as Dallas) is surrounded by a similarly named township (such as Dallas). Damn confusing shit.
    IIRC, in Monroe Co., the Tobyhanna Twp. building is located in Coolbaugh Twp. and vice versa. The Coolbaugh Twp. building is actually in the town of Tobyhanna.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Lackawanna County)

As someone who moved to PA from NJ, I say to all my fellow transplants: Don't vote here in PA for the same gun grabber, tax and spend liberals (usually Democrats) like the ones that run the show in NJ/NY. Otherwise, PA will end up like NJ and NY, with an astronomical cost of living, high taxes, and restrictive gun laws.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Corn Flake View Post
    As someone who moved to PA from NJ, I say to all my fellow transplants: Don't vote here in PA for the same gun grabber, tax and spend liberals (usually Democrats) like the ones that run the show in NJ/NY. Otherwise, PA will end up like NJ and NY, with an astronomical cost of living, high taxes, and restrictive gun laws.
    I hear ya.

But, for the most part, you're "preaching to the choir" here on pafoa.
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast