Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Dunham's AKs:Worth it or not?

The title basically says it all. I want to get an AK-47 really bad. I want to shoot 7.62 and I don't have that much money. Are the cheap AK's at Dunham's any good?

Default Re: Dunham's AKs:Worth it or not?

If your looking for cheap look at a Mosin Nagat. They shoot the larger 7.62x 54r. I am not sure if Dunhams will have one or not. I picked one up at a gun show on Saturday for $ 100 out the door. As far as dunhams go I will not buy a gun from them here in Wisconsin their policy is every gun paperwork goes to headquarters for approval before they will sell gun to you. I will not let a some headquarters weenie decide if I should own a gun or not.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Allegheny County)

I was at a gun show today and I saw some mosin's for $100. I was gonna buy one but I decided not to. I rather have an AK anyway.

(Allegheny County)

A Mosin and an AK are two different things, I tried to feed the need for an AK using a Mosin. You will be bummed out big time if you don't get the one you want. lol

Dunhams got the same Wasr's everybody else has, but at D's you can personally inspect their stock in the back to be sure you leave with a useful AK and a parts donner for you next AK. What are they asking for one anyways? classic got em for $350 which is the lowest but if you order you'll have another $45 for shipping and FFL fee. So, if dunham's cant beat $400 for a personal handpick otd, you'd be crazy not to get one.

Also classic has the single stack AKs' for $299 if you don't mind 3 minutes with a dremmel.
    I needs the following... .303 ammo, scrap steel, and and cheap SKS. please LMK

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by 556slinger View Post
    A Mosin and an AK are two different things, I tried to feed the need for an AK using a Mosin. You will be bummed out big time if you don't get the one you want. lol

Dunhams got the same Wasr's everybody else has, but at D's you can personally inspect their stock in the back to be sure you leave with a useful AK and a parts donner for you next AK. What are they asking for one anyways? classic got em for $350 which is the lowest but if you order you'll have another $45 for shipping and FFL fee. So, if dunham's cant beat $400 for a personal handpick otd, you'd be crazy not to get one.

Also classic has the single stack AKs' for $299 if you don't mind 3 minutes with a dremmel.

Completely agree that if you want an AK a Mosin will not fill the void and when shopping for a WASR inspecting it first is always best.
    A word of caution, three minutes with a Dremel will open up the mag well and you can use regular AK magazines but it would be an illegally modified gun unless you change enough parts to satisfy 922r regulations.

(Allegheny County)

I picked mine up at Dunham's.

They ranged from shitty to pretty decent condition. They may not be the prettiest AK variant, but they work. Watch for canted front sights and mag wobble. If the mag does wobble, ask to try a mag from another rifle on display. When I got mine, the two that came w/it were a little sloppy, but the guy at the counter took one from a Yugo underfolder and tried it - nice and snug. The different mag manufacturers can vary slightly. I've found that Hungarian mags fit GREAT in my WASR. Others may have different results.

If you go to look, consider layaway if you see one you like, but can't afford to grab it that day. This way you can have the one you want on hold, so nobody else takes it.

Do NOT buy it unless it's on "sale". Dunham's sale prices are pretty much in line with everyone else's regular price, but if it's not on sale, they are marked up WAY too high.

Go for it. You won't regret it.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lebanon County)

In November I picked up a WASR-10/63 at dunhams for $350. Like Emptymag said, I noticed most of them had sight cant and/or pretty sloppy mag wells so take your time and look for the nicest one. At the Dunham's in Altoona I also saw some AMD-65s, a few Tantals, and possibly a Yugo M70. But if your looking for the cheapest one, the WASR is your best bet. I believe they are selling them on "sale" for $380 now, which is a pretty good buy because you don't have to take your chances with ordering one online. Also, tax and the background check will probably be less expensive than shipping and FFL if you buy one online.

Here is the URL to their online catalog but prices could vary between stores.
    http://dunhamssports.inserts2online....omer_Frame.jsp

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ByAnyMeans View Post
    A word of caution, three minutes with a Dremel will open up the mag well and you can use regular AK magazines but it would be an illegally modified gun unless you change enough parts to satisfy 922r regulations.
    oh yeah, good input. you may never in your life have an ATF agent inspect your AK but why take a chance, positive rep inbound

(Allegheny County)

[quote=gb258789;1089580]In November I picked up a WASR-10/63 at dunhams for $350. Like Emptymag said, I noticed most of them had sight cant and/or pretty sloppy mag wells so take your time and look for the nicest one. At the Dunham's in Altoona I also saw some AMD-65s, a few Tantals, and possibly a Yugo M70. But if your looking for the cheapest one, the WASR is your best bet. I believe they are selling them on "sale" for $380 now, which is a pretty good buy because you don't have to take your chances with ordering one online. Also, tax and the background check will probably be less expensive than shipping and FFL if you buy one online.
    /quote]

Good point. If you order online, you must factor shipping and FFL transfer fee, which can vary from $20-$50 depending on where you look - some charge more for transfers when they are not the one selling the item - ASK first.

I'm pretty sure the "transfer" fee (I'm actually not sure what the fee was for, and I'm too lazy to go get my paperwork) that was charged at Dunham's was either $2 or $5.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

[QUOTE=Emptymag;1089680]
    Quote Originally Posted by gb258789 View Post
    In November I picked up a WASR-10/63 at dunhams for $350. Like Emptymag said, I noticed most of them had sight cant and/or pretty sloppy mag wells so take your time and look for the nicest one. At the Dunham's in Altoona I also saw some AMD-65s, a few Tantals, and possibly a Yugo M70. But if your looking for the cheapest one, the WASR is your best bet. I believe they are selling them on "sale" for $380 now, which is a pretty good buy because you don't have to take your chances with ordering one online. Also, tax and the background check will probably be less expensive than shipping and FFL if you buy one online.
    /quote]

Good point. If you order online, you must factor shipping and FFL transfer fee, which can vary from $20-$50 depending on where you look - some charge more for transfers when they are not the one selling the item - ASK first.

I'm pretty sure the "transfer" fee (I'm actually not sure what the fee was for, and I'm too lazy to go get my paperwork) that was charged at Dunham's was either $2 or $5.
    Last time i bought an ak from d's they had a $2 fee plus a $3 fee one was for the pics and the other had something to do with the store policy

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast