Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Beretta Neos owners.. what ammo do you use?

I've owned a inox 6" Neos for a couple of years now, and although I've cleaned it fanatically, I can't get it to cycle anything but CCI Mini-Mags (round or HPs). I bought it used from a friend who had put less than 500 rounds through it, and had owned it since new (less than 6 months).

The first Neos I ever shot was a range rental gun, which reliably cycled Remington Golden Bullets, American Eagle and Federal .22 ammo with no issues.. I can't make it through a full magazine of any of these rounds without having to re-cock it.

With anything other than the CCI stuff, the spent brass ejects each time, but the firing pin remains forward when the next round is chambered. Out of a magazine of 10, this happens 2-3 times.

Normally I wouldn't care about having to use the Mini-Mags, but I've having a lot of trouble finding them anywhere locally, and the range I go to only seems to have them about half the time (for about $4 more than they should cost per 100 as well), so I end up not being able to use the .22 without a mound of frustration.

Anyone else experience something similar? Any other similar loads that might work as reliably?

If it matters- I use Hoppe's no. 9 solvent and Hoppe's Elite oil when I clean it.. I've made absolutely sure the area inside the slide where the firing pin rides is cleaned out and covered with a thin coat of oil, as well as the top of the slide where it contacts the bottom of the top rail and the mating surface with the frame. I've even cleaned and lubed both springs each time. Anything I'm missing?

I just picked up a red dot for it, and am looking forward to using it more frequently, but only if I can get this issue resolved.

Last edited by parasight; February 8th, 2010 at 02:13 AM.

Default Re: Beretta Neos owners.. what ammo do you use?

I have never had trouble with my Neos. Everything feeds and fires.

(Lehigh County)

I recommend that you send yours back to Beretta.

I too had an issue where the gun would not fire any ammo reliably except for one type. I don't remember which anymore. This is not normal.

I finally gave up and sent the gun back to Beretta. They sent me a brand new replacement. I haven't had an issue since.
    Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you. -Andrew Wilkow

(Montgomery County)

I have a 6 inch Neos very similar to yours and it shoots any .22 LR I feed it. Call Beretta and send it back or buy a new recoil springs and striker spring from Brownells:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...NG__FIRING_PIN

The only problem with getting a spring and putting it in yourself is that it may not fix the problem.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Lancaster County)

I agree there was be something wrong with your gun.my wife has the 6 in barreled model and it eats anything you give it. good luck with it crazywolf.

(Delaware County)

Thanks for the advice guys.. while looking for the contact info, I just read some of the info on berettausa.com, and it says this in regards to ammunition:

"Recommended ammunition is .22 LR Standard Velocity. Do not use .22 Short, .22 Long, .22 Magnum, or .22 LR high or hypervelocity ammunition in your Neos."

I guess that puts that to rest, I'll be sending it in.

Again, thanks for the help!

(Bucks County)

I've had my U22-6 for a couple weeks now, bought it from another PAFOA member. I have had it to the range a couple times, and put about 1200 rounds through it. I have probably had 2-3 failures in that time.. all of them from Wolf MT, and at the end of a long day of shooting.. I have tried 6 different types of 22LR, and with the exception of the really waxy Wolf (FTE) it has been great with whatever ammo.

I would agree with the others about sending it to Beretta. By the way, what red dot did you get for it? I'm in the market for one, but I'm not sure what to get - I'm a pistol optics rookie.

Good luck,
    Chris

(Allegheny County)

Yeap something sounds not right. My Neos will east any .22lr bullet I feed it. Only ones *I* don't like to use are the Winchester Super X. Usually stick with Remington Gold bulk pack or Federal Bulk pack.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by PhillySoundMan View Post
    I would agree with the others about sending it to Beretta.
    I figured out this morning that the Beretta USA service center is about 15 minutes away from my girlfriend's house in MD. Hopefully they accept drop-offs.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillySoundMan View Post
    By the way, what red dot did you get for it? I'm in the market for one, but I'm not sure what to get - I'm a pistol optics rookie.
    I got a Bushnell auto-off switchable reticle 1x28... I have the same one on my 12ga. and love it. Still waiting on the new one to get here.

Quote Originally Posted by falcn View Post
    Only ones *I* don't like to use are the Winchester Super X.
    oh, awesome... what don't you like about those? I picked up a pack of them at Bass Pro last week when they were out of CCI stuff.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by parasight View Post
    oh, awesome... what don't you like about those? I picked up a pack of them at Bass Pro last week when they were out of CCI stuff.
    Bunch of them out of the box were squib loads - primer went puttffff and bullet only went 1/2 way down the barrel. Never had that issue with Federal or CCI, or Remington. Just one person's experience. YMMV. If I had them I would shoot them, just won't be buying any more of them.

I got a Truglo for my Neos - way more accurate than me - gotta hold that damn dot still

Last edited by falcn; February 8th, 2010 at 02:57 PM. Reason: spelling
    FNX-9 Two-tone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast