Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Looking for input on my first AR

Well,

I have decided to buy my first AR when the tax man gives me my tax return.

I have narrowed it down to 3 that I am looking at.

First off...

1) Colt 6920

2)LMT Defender

3)S&W MP AR 15 Tactical W/ Quad rail

A few things......

It will be for HD and it might end up being a patrol rifle if my employer will allow it. I also plan on taking some classes with it as well.

I don't know anything about rifles, so it will be a learning process for me as well. ( I know, if I buy the parts, it will come out cheaper, but I would prefer an already assembled rilfe for my first one.)

The reason I am looking at the MP is due to the fact that it comes with a FF Rail on it already and is something I would like to have already on the gun. There is an LMT model that comes with a rail, but it would put the rilfe out of my price range. I have not seen a 6920 that comes with a FF rail on it already.

I have read over the Rob_s chart at m4carbine.net and have been reading up on the 3 AR's I listed and others as well for the last 2 months.

So, for those who own AR's, Whats your take on my 3 selections.

Any feedback, suggestions or recommendations are appreciated.

AG

(York County)

Default Re: Looking for input on my first AR

I'd get the Colt 6920 then customize it to your liking; put on a better stock, grip, handguards/rails, optics, etc...

(York County)

What ever you buy, leave it stock (except for manybe an optic) for a while. Spend any extra funds on ammo and practice with your rifle.
    After a while, you can make a better detemination if you want to modify it, "bubba" it, or leave it stock.
    Just my humble opinion...
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Schuylkill County)

I would go for the LMT out of the three you have listed,
    The colt you are paying for a name and thats it, they are no better in my opinion then a DPMS,

The M&P is ok but S&W should stick to revolvers.

If it were me and I was buying my first AR-15 I would take a serious look at Stag, they make one hell of a fine AR, and they are better then most others with a better price,
    They will shoot as good if not better then the others, and are as reliable and more then pthers, just my opinion, put your money in what you want, as long as you are happy with it then you made the right choice, we all have our favorites but in the end you need to be happy and pleased with your purchase.

(Berks County)

aside from the tactakewl factor there is no need for a ff rail, unless your shooting at long ranges. even then it's negligible. just my opinion.

As far as the three choices, I've owned a 6920, and a S&W M&P15. Liked both, both shot very well, no malfunctions in either, with any ammo. Right now i'm in the process of a build on a Stag lower, and I'm very confident this will shoot great as well. I recommend both, the choice is yours.

You're correct about not building it yourself. unless you buy the absolute cheapest parts available, or buy everything used, you won't save any money. The reason for building yourself is to buy exactly what you want (as far as custom parts) the first time. That way you aren't paying top dollar for parts that you will never use.

(Northampton County)

I currently own a Colt 6520, 6721 and a 6940........I also own an S&W M&P 15 in 5.45 and recently sold one in 5.56. I have never owned a 6920, nor have I owned or shot anything from LMT so I can't give any input on them. I can tell you that the Colt will be worth more down the line than the S&W if resale potential is important to you. Both the Colt and S&W will absolutely go BANG every single time you pull the trigger and as long as you're a half decent shooter both will hit whatever you're aiming at.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    What ever you buy, leave it stock (except for manybe an optic) for a while. Spend any extra funds on ammo and practice with your rifle.
    After a while, you can make a better detemination if you want to modify it, "bubba" it, or leave it stock.
    Just my humble opinion...

What ever I get, I will leave it stock for now.

I want to learn how to shoot it with the iron sights before I get into optics.

Down the road I would probably buy some sort of optic set up.

The only mods I would think of doing is getting a different grip and a quad rail, maybe add a light to the rail, but that wouldnt be anytime soon after making my purchase.

Though not listed, the Stag Model 2T is also something I am considering (I have heard good things about Stag in general).

Too many AR's, not enough cash.

AG

I have a S&W M&P 15X. Great gun. Good shooter. I haven't had a single problem with factory ammo or my reloads. All I added is a combat sling, vertical forward grip & a red dot. I have a Leupold VX-III that I plan on mounting when it warms up a bit.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Allegheny County)

I used to be enamored with the M&P-15...

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...5-problem.html

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-exploded.html

Of course, these folks could have an ax to grind against the brand.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Allegheny County)

I'd get the Colt 6920. The only accesories I need would be a light and ammo.

Maybe a rail for the light too.

And a better sling.

And different flash hider.

And a MagPul CTR stock.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast