Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default new reloader here!!!!

Ok, I'm looking to start reloading my own 40 s&w and 5.56

I have read the sticky at the top and absorbed as much knowledge as i could from it. It was very helpful. I'd like to stick with a single stage press and buy in kit form, with scale, case trimmer, and misc other items. can anyone recommend a good and competitively priced one? Also this may sound dumb, but all i can find are 223 die sets. I use xm193 ammo in 556 will these die sets work properly? I'm leaning towards this one http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tnumber=724116

I appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks,
    Dave

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: new reloader here!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by busa dave View Post

I have read the sticky at the top and absorbed as much knowledge as i could from it. It was very helpful. I'd like to stick with a single stage press and buy in kit form, with scale, case trimmer, and misc other items. can anyone recommend a good and competitively priced one? Also this may sound dumb, but all i can find are 223 die sets. I use xm193 ammo in 556 will these die sets work properly? I'm leaning towards this one http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tnumber=724116

I appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Good choice, Dave. I'd just ask Midway to include the latest (#49) Lyman manual, if they could. You can do it all with just what is there.

The only thing I would add is that LEE dies are as good as anybody's (better than some) and they are about half the price of others. Lyman dies have always been my top choice before LEE came onto the scene, and when $$$$ was not an issue.

Flash

ETA... Welcome to the forum and to the world of reloading. The folks here on this forum will help you all you need.
    Last edited by Flash; February 6th, 2010 at 09:40 PM. Reason: welcome
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Berks County)

Thanks flash. Any recommendations on powder, primers and bullets? I see all different powders listed and there really aren't any descriptions as to what is good for 556 and 40. I guess that info would be in a quality reloading manual right?

(Monroe County)

Take a look at Unique for cast loads in the 40. Power Pistol for jacketed bullets, and Win 748 for the 223 good luck!

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by busa dave View Post
    Thanks flash. Any recommendations on powder, primers and bullets? I see all different powders listed and there really aren't any descriptions as to what is good for 556 and 40. I guess that info would be in a quality reloading manual right?
    Powder = In 5.56, I am using Accurate No.2230 for both my AR and Mini 14. It seems to do well in both with the cheap 55 gr FMJBT bullets. Many members of the forum like Varget, as well. And then, many more have other preferences. Ultimately, it will depend a lot on your particular rifle.

As for the 40, there are also a number of good choices. Titegroup has been recommended as a good starting powder. But there are many - your loading book is your best friend. Look first to the load the book calls its "accuracy load" to select a powder.

Browning Boy has made very good recommendations, too, though I have yet to try the 748

Primers = I get good results with Winchester, Federal and CCI. I have had no need to try other brands, as I have a suply - enough for now, anyway.

Bullets = Start cheap. The bulk 55gr FMJBT w/c (Full Metal Jacket Boat Tail with . cannelure) from Hornady and others is a good starting point. They shoot well, some say quite well. But regardlss of your choice, a thousand of them will help you to develop your loading technique and get a real feel for what is going on. They can be as accurate as any other bullet, especially out to the 200 yard line - beyond there, you may want to look to heavier bullets.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Berks County)

excellent!!!!! You guys gave me a terrific starting point. That's what i needed.

Thank you,
    Dave

(Beaver County)

I currently load both of those calibers. Win 748 or Hogdon BLC2, or Varget for the .223. Probly the best reccomended out there all pushing a 55grain FMJBT. I use IMR 4756 in my 40 S&W with a 135 grain HP Nosler bullet that you buy in bulk 250 packs for around 35 bucks. Just my .02 .

Welcome to the addiction
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Berks County)

Also this may sound dumb, but all i can find are 223 die sets. I use xm193 ammo in 556 will these die sets work properly
    Yes, the .223 dies are what you need for 5.56 I haven't had any problems.

I currently like H-335 powder in .223, but Varget gets rave reviews from other reloaders.

Don't discount used equipment!!! If you can find a used single stage Rockchucker (RCBS) your grandkids will be reloading on it.

Lee dies are cheap, but work well, when I buy new Lee dies I take them apart and polish them with Flitz metal polish. They run much smoother.

Get a good set of calipers for measuring cases and cartridges.

Case trimmers can get pricey, here again Lee has the individual trimmers for each caliber. Put the case chuck in you electric drill, put in a piece of brass and trim to size with the Lee trimmer. Chamfer/Deburr and you are done. Next piece of brass.

The Lee beam scale is a cheapo, but it does work. I use it and check it against my digital and they agree. Some have problems with them.

The Lee aniversary kit is a good starter, and I have one. But my rockchucker gets most of the work. Currently saving for a Hornady progressive (lock n load) to speed things up.

Yeah sure, that's where it starts, I just want to reload "one or two calibers" ....next thing you will be reloading for everything you own. It's a disease. You will find yourself on your hands and knees at the range picking up brass and asking the guy shooting next to you if you can have his, you will have baggies full of brass for guns you don't even own!....you will see us at the range, maybe you have... like demented crackheads in need of a fix scrounging brass.

Welcome to the disease!....There is no cure....and keep asking questions, with reloading there are NO STUPID QUESTIONS.
    Last edited by 762xIan; February 8th, 2010 at 04:19 AM.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Luzerne County)

you will have baggies full of brass for guns you don't even own!.
    Ha! Gotta smile at that. Very true.
    You can tell reloaders at the range easily. They are the ones that don't go down and change their targets during a break. Instead, they pace back and forth looking, apparently, at their shoes - really, searching for that one single case that they didn't find after the last string.
    Good advice about equipment. Lee dies and presses work just fine.
    As noted, Varget is very popular with AR shooters, especially the Highpower guys. I have used 2230, 2460, 2015, 4198, RL15, 4064. Mostly I use RL15 and Sierra 77s.
    About scales: I have had a Lee beam scale since I started reloading. It is as good as any out there. I have other scales also - I have cross checked the Lee with other beam/balance scales and a few digital scales. It is always right on.
    The Lyman manual - great choice.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Monroe County)

If you can, you should use the reloading information from the company that makes the bullet you are using. You would be suprised at the difference in data between bullet manufacturers. Most of this data can be found on their websites. Good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast