Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (York County)

Default Re: Besides ammo, what else do you pick up the day you buy a new gun?

Typically when I purchase a new firearms in general I always look for extra mags and ammo. Appropriate cleaning brushes are a must as well. All depends on funds in the long run.

GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by sksmith75 View Post
    Flowers.

I used to buy them and considered them foreplay. Now, they're Grouchy Repellent.
    lmao. last time i went to the gun shop i went just for ammo before going shooting and brought the wifey with me and we ended up walking out with two new guns and 200 rounds of ammo. She is almost as bad as me.

(Philadelphia County)

When I purchased my .22 Henry rifle i Purchased a brick of CCI StdVel, and a soft case all for less than $400.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by pred View Post
    Just the gun itself.
    I am an addict and have all that I need.
    Peter
    yeah pretty much this, other than i quit any time i want, but i'm no quitter.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Montgomery County)

Usually nothing as I tend to buy my magazines (for the semi-autos) on line as I find that I can usually find what I need either from Mec-Gar or via a "well hidden chap in MD" who has some of the more unusual mags, such as new P225 mags that do not require a mortgage. Since most of my purchases are older weapons, knowledge of sellers of unusual magazines is a requirement. Dave_n

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rule10b5 View Post
    Nothing.

My usual routine is to shoot a couple hundred rounds of ball ammo. If the gun is 100%, I lube it and then break out my preferred carry ammo in whatever caliber the new gun is. I'll typically shoot 50-100 rounds. If it's 100% on the carry ammo, then I start thinking about what I'm going to buy.

I see no point in spending money on anything until I'm sure the gun works perfectly. If it doesn't, it's back to the manufacturer for repairs, and I repeat the above. If it still doesn't work 100% it gets returned again for repairs and then sold. I'm not going to stick someone with a gun I know doesn't work, but I'm not going to spend money to test something I know I'm going to sell.
    I'm usually the same way. I can't be truly certain I will like the gun (if it works), even if I've shot it before. But it is going to be cleaned and lubed, sighted-in, tested at the range, and cleaned again within 24 hours to 1 week of purchase. So if I need any of that stuff I'll get it. I don't own guns I've never fired.

There are exceptions. There were probably 3 times in my life when I didn't even OWN a gun (hopefully never again). In those cases, when I bought one I picked up enough stuff to make it useful. Nominal qty of mags, ammo, and cleaning kit, and holster if applicable. There are also things I've bought that I knew I was going to make work no matter what (such as NFA). In those cases I bought gear for the guns as well.

I don't have a whole lotta money since I'm in college right now, so when I go, I usually haggle about the price and only walk out with the gun. I wanted to buy a holster, snap caps, and hollow points when I bought the Sig a few days ago, but I just didn't have the money. I already have a holster that will work with it, I made my own snap caps for the time being, and borrowed some hollow points from my dad.
    But I'll be back again to buy the stuff I wanted before, when I have some more cash.

(York County)

Usually just ammo if I don't have any already and enough mags for 3 total standard cap mags and at least 2 hi cap mags if available. Sometimes one holster also if I can get a discount. Bought a couple handguns before and asked if I could get a holster at half price with it. Never been turned down... yet. And also cleaning supplies if I'm running low.

(Montgomery County)

Well I've finally learned the difference between love and infatuation.

(Heh. Yeah, right.)

Really, I wait and give it a good test drive before deciding what role it wll play in the harem.

e.g. I bought snap caps and a big holster once for a revolver with a 4" barrel. Of course I never carried it and I use old brass for dry firing.

So now I just wait and see where the new one fits into my life before I decide to pamper it.

Ham radio: when all else fails.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123