Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Kahr .380 or Sig P238

What do we think of these two?

I'm not really a big fan of the LCP or P3 so decided against them. I might change my mind, but as it stands, I'm interested in the Sig P238 and Kahr.380.

This gun will be used when I can't cc my Walther PPS. It'll either stuff it in my front or back pocket of the pants/shorts I'm wearing.

The Sig is beautiful, I mean beautiful! The problem (as far as I see it) is that it's a 1911 style of operation gun which means it has a beaver tail and a thumb safety which could be a pain to cc or shoot quickly/under pressure.

The Kahr gets excellent reviews and is smaller and simpler to operate than the Sig but the price, wow! Seriously Kahr???

Below is the only picture I can find comparing there relative sizes;

Anyway, thought and/or ideas plus first hand experience most welcome.
    Last edited by buster2209; February 5th, 2010 at 08:04 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Kahr .380 or Sig P238

well the question i have to ask first is why buy a 380? 380 is really difficult to find right now and outreagously priced when you do find it. kahr makes good 9mm's that are the same size as the sig p238 so if you can get a 9mm packaged in the same size gun as 380why not go with the more powerful cartridge?

with all that said i've owned a couple of kahrs and always had good luck with them. currently i carry a p45 and it's got pretty decent accuracy out to about 15 yds and has been 100% reliable. i've handled the p238 and it's is a very good looking weapon but i've read a few negative reports ranging from the finish flaking off of new guns to multiple malfunctions. my vote would be for the kahr based on my experience with kahr and the negative reports i've read about the p238. it seems sig is experiencing a drop in QC over the past couple of years from what i've read. for more info on the p238 try checking out www.sigforum.com and do a search for the p238.

If I were crazy enought to buy a .380 at the moment () I would take the Kahr. The sig is nice, but I just don't get a 1911 style in a pocket gun.
    FUCK BIDEN

(York County)

I agree with Wellcraft about the .380 ammo prices. I do like my Sigs, but for pocket carry, I think I'd rather have the double action Kahr.

I've been looking at the Boberg Arms XR9-S. It's similar in size to the Kahr.

You can navigate around his site from that link. He has videos and pics. I may just wait longer to see how it fares.

(Cumberland County)

I've been looking at the Boberg Arms XR9-S

Really like the look of this pistol, but $900-$1100 is too steep for me to take a try I'll wait until all the bugs are worked out and it's $ 500 !

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    kahr makes good 9mm's that are the same size as the sig p238 so if you can get a 9mm packaged in the same size gun as 380why not go with the more powerful cartridge?

The Kahr PM9 is noticeably bigger than the .380. I'll be entering the same territory (size wise) as my PPS so what's the point?

I need a gun that disappears on me for the days I just can't cc my Walther.

I know .380 is hard to come by but it wont be like that forever and I'm merely window shopping at the moment.

I have also wondered why Kahr, a company that has been around for 15 years, sells such expensive guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Don T. View Post
    I've been looking at the Boberg Arms XR9-S. It's similar in size to the Kahr.
    Too expensive, too new, and I'd need to know what the recoil is like. 9mm in a tiny gun like that? Unless it's all metal (and probably even then), ouch!
    Last edited by buster2209; February 5th, 2010 at 08:25 PM.

(Montgomery County)

I currently own a Ruger LCP but recently purchased the Sig P238. IMO, there is no comparison if you're looking for fit, finish, overall quality and feel - the clear winner would be the Sig P238. The P238 feels very solid in the hands and is a very accurate pistol at 15 yards. The primary reason I wanted something other than the LCP was b/c the recoil on the LCP hurt my hand with every shot (due to the small thin frame). Additionally, follow-up shots weren't very accurate due to the recoil of the gun - it took longer to reacquire the target with the LCP. The weight of the P238 fixed that problem and the gun is just as accurate - if not more. I don't think you would be disappointed with the P238 (if you're able to find it and find the ammo).

Based on my experience -

Pros of P238:
    1. Nice solid overall feel (build quality and fit in hand)
    2. Weight (helps reduce recoil - better follow-up shots and one-handed shots)
    3. Accuracy
    4. Manual safety
    5. Available in different variatioins
    6. Great factory sights compared to LCP
    7. No need to buy a pinky extension for magazine (fit my hand perfectly without one)

Cons of P238:
    1. Price - Priced significantly more than the LCP but this is to be expected
    2. Thickness in the pocket compared to the LCP
    3. Plastic trigger and grips (does not hinder performance but cheapens the gun)

Pros of the LCP:
    1. Cost compared to the P238
    2. Weight is significantly less than the P238
    3. Thickness - thinner than the P238 for better pocket concealment
    4. Price - over $200 less than the P238 unless you find the P238 on sale
    5. Good accuracy
    6. Crimson Trace available

Cons of the LCP:
    1. Thickness - can hurt your hand
    2. Requires a pinky extension on the mag to fit in hand properly

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by RXM View Post
    Based on my experience -

Pros of P238:
    1. Nice solid overall feel (build quality and fit in hand)
    2. Weight (helps reduce recoil - better follow-up shots and one-handed shots)
    3. Accuracy
    4. Manual safety
    5. Available in different variatioins
    6. Great factory sights compared to LCP
    7. No need to buy a pinky extension for magazine (fit my hand perfectly without one)

Cons of P238:
    1. Price - Priced significantly more than the LCP but this is to be expected
    2. Thickness in the pocket compared to the LCP
    3. Plastic trigger and grips (does not hinder performance but cheapens the gun)

Pros of the LCP:
    1. Cost compared to the P238
    2. Weight is significantly less than the P238
    3. Thickness - thinner than the P238 for better pocket concealment
    4. Price - over $200 less than the P238 unless you find the P238 on sale
    5. Good accuracy
    6. Crimson Trace available

Cons of the LCP:
    1. Thickness - can hurt your hand
    2. Requires a pinky extension on the mag to fit in hand properly
    You pretty much summed why I don't want the LCP/P3. If these two guns were the same price, there wouldn't even be a contest!

I actually fired a P3 a while back and whilst I thought the recoil was manageable, follow up shots were almost impossible due to the muzzle flip.

Thanks for the input!

Not to be the guy that totally diverts from the original question, but have you thought about a revolver?
    Jules

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Not to be the guy that totally diverts from the original question, but have you thought about a revolver?
    Jules
    Yeah, I should have put that in the OP.

Shot an LCR and a 442. Hated them both! So much so, I didn't even get through the box of ammo I bought.

Besides, they printed too much when I placed them in my pocket.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast