Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default [PAFOA Blog] Philadelphia Daily News Smears Florida/PA Reciprocity

Philadelphia Daily News Smears Florida/PA Reciprocity

Many of you have no doubt seen this article in the Philadelphia Daily News, outlining the completely lawful practice of Pennsylvanians obtaining concealed carry licenses from the State of Florida, and using that license to carry in Pennsylvania, a “loophole.” We are currently working on a more detailed rebuttal to this article, but in the mean time we thought we would share with you our statement to the Daily News reporter when we were asked to comment on this issue:

As most gun owners in Pennsylvania know, owning or carrying a firearm in the city of Philadelphia can be risky given the history of abuses by the city’s police department. Under current PPD policy, law abiding carry license holders have had their license revoked for being victims of theft, including having their houses broken into. At PAFOA, we’ve also had reports of the police department illegally revoke permits of members issued by other counties when the victim’s car was broken into while visiting the city.

In fact, the abuse of license holders is reflected by the PPD’s inexplicable permit revocation rate of nearly 12%, while every other county (including Allegheny which contains Pittsburgh) is well below 1%. When the stats are run, Philadelphia is responsible for *30-40% of all carry permit revocations in the entire state each year.

As a result it, is not surprising that some gun owners may opt for the more uniform standards of another state license over the discriminatory abuses of the Philadelphia Police Department. In times of tighter budgets, some gun owners may also opt to carry only one license from a state which is more widely recognized than ours instead of getting multiple.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.
    This article, Philadelphia Daily News Smears Florida/PA Reciprocity, is from the Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Blog & Online Magazine.

Read the full article...

(Monroe County)

Default Re: [PAFOA Blog] Philadelphia Daily News Smears Florida/PA Reciprocity

Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    Philadelphia Daily News Smears Florida/PA Reciprocity

Many of you have no doubt seen this article in the Philadelphia Daily News, outlining the completely lawful practice of Pennsylvanians obtaining concealed carry licenses from the State of Florida, and using that license to carry in Pennsylvania, a “loophole.” We are currently working on a more detailed rebuttal to this article, but in the mean time we thought we would share with you our statement to the Daily News reporter when we were asked to comment on this issue:

As most gun owners in Pennsylvania know, owning or carrying a firearm in the city of Philadelphia can be risky given the history of abuses by the city’s police department. Under current PPD policy, law abiding carry license holders have had their license revoked for being victims of theft, including having their houses broken into. At PAFOA, we’ve also had reports of the police department illegally revoke permits of members issued by other counties when the victim’s car was broken into while visiting the city.

In fact, the abuse of license holders is reflected by the PPD’s inexplicable permit revocation rate of nearly 12%, while every other county (including Allegheny which contains Pittsburgh) is well below 1%. When the stats are run, Philadelphia is responsible for *30-40% of all carry permit revocations in the entire state each year.

As a result it, is not surprising that some gun owners may opt for the more uniform standards of another state license over the discriminatory abuses of the Philadelphia Police Department. In times of tighter budgets, some gun owners may also opt to carry only one license from a state which is more widely recognized than ours instead of getting multiple.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.
    This article, Philadelphia Daily News Smears Florida/PA Reciprocity, is from the Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Blog & Online Magazine.

Read the full article...
    Let me see if I got this straight... It is harder to get a Florida permit, Florida actually follows the law, and Philly cops are upset because citizens they don't like can get their permits through the law abbiding Florida agency???

God forbid the Florida agency actually follows the law

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by MSOfin View Post
    Let me see if I got this straight... It is harder to get a Florida permit, Florida actually follows the law, and Philly cops are upset because citizens they don't like can get their permits through the law abbiding Florida agency???

God forbid the Florida agency actually follows the law
    yep, that about covers it.
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!

(Lackawanna County)

ugh, i hate it when i vomit in my mouth.

(Perry County)

It is heartening to see the comments section on this pitiful misrepresentation of an article. 90+% take the paper to task for its poor reporting, or in other ways support the right to carry. It appears the commenters are not any more enamored of the paper than the paper is of constitutional rights. I would not purchase stock in a company that is so out of touch with its consumers. Perhaps when this paper goes the way of so many others people will lament the loss of it, I won't.

(Union County)

The Philadelphia Daily News has really outdone themselves this time. We’ve seen the abuse of the term “loophole” to describe perfectly lawful activity the anti-gun groups and anti-gun media want to portray as sneaky, and something that obviously ought to be illegal,

just putting this out there. if the Police Dept, (philly or whereever) revokes or decline your Ltcf, and you get a FL ccw, then that would be a loophole.

The only time I buy a Daily news or Inquirer is when I host a crab fest @ my house in the summer as I need something to cover the tables but after this I will not even give them the satisfaction of my crab discards or even my puppy training duties.
    My Maryland Steammed crabs inards deserve a Better disposal wrap anyway. I need to step that part of the feast up a notch.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dunsho View Post
    just putting this out there. if the Police Dept, (philly or whereever) revokes or decline your Ltcf, and you get a FL ccw, then that would be a loophole.
    However, when said Police Dept, (Philly or whereever) declines your LTCF for illegal reasons, such as you have an unpaid parking ticket, and you get a FL license, then that is circumventing idiots.

I might be wrong, but if phila has an illegal law, it's still the law until the courts strikes it down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast