Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default LTCF and Hunting

Just received my LTCF and the Sheriff provided a couple of fact sheets along with the license.

But, here's one I'm confused about. "Your firearm cannot be transported in a vehicle loaded while during hunting season and you have your hunting license with you."

Here's my points of confusion:
    1. "Transporting" is not the same as "carrying". When I am transporting a firearm it is in a gun case of some sort and I never case a loaded firearm (rifle or pistol). When I am carrying a handgun, it is loaded and carried in a holster on my person.

2. Section 6106 (b) "exceptions" provides for carrying a loaded firearm while hunting or fishing or traveling to or from with the added provision that the licensee have a "Sportsman's License" also.

3. Somewhere, I recall reading of passage of a Bill that permitted LTCF holders to carry while hunting, but I haven't been able to find a reference at the legislature website. Does anyone have a cite?

Default Re: LTCF and Hunting

I'm not sure about the hunting issue, as i'm not a hunter and never read into it. One thing I notice right off the bat on that list is #1 "When I am transporting a firearm it is in a gun case of some sort and I never case a loaded firearm (rifle or pistol). When I am carrying a handgun, it is loaded and carried in a holster on my person."
    you may have loaded handguns in your vehicle that are not on your person, hell alot of people just have a LTCF to keep one in their center consol, a lockbox or whatever.. They are correct about not having loaded rifles in your vehicle as stated..

(Luzerne County)

Your sheriff, like most sheriff's doesn't know his butt hole from a hole in the ground.

If you have a LTC, you can carry a handgun, loaded inside your vehicle at any time.

Your LTC has absolutely nothing to do with hunting or hunting seasons. However, there is a new law that allows you to carry a handgun (semi or revolver) while hunting, including archery season. You must have a valid LTC if you want to carry a semi-auto. You can get away with carrying a revolver in certain season with only a Sportsman's Permit. But to carry in normal "no guns allowed seasons" you would need the LTC.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Your sheriff, like most sheriff's doesn't know his butt hole from a hole in the ground.

If you have a LTC, you can carry a handgun, loaded inside your vehicle at any time.

Your LTC has absolutely nothing to do with hunting or hunting seasons. However, there is a new law that allows you to carry a handgun (semi or revolver) while hunting, including archery season. You must have a valid LTC if you want to carry a semi-auto. You can get away with carrying a revolver in certain season with only a Sportsman's Permit. But to carry in normal "no guns allowed seasons" you would need the LTC.
    +1 to Steve.
    Correct on all counts

(Susquehanna County)

DUH! I should have read the Hunting & Trapping Digest a little closer.

Here's what it says: General Hunting Regulations, Loaded Firearms-Vehicles ..."Holders of License to Carry Firearms permit are exempt, but keep in mind that most sporting firearms are not authorized by the permit."

(Potter County)

be carefull about LTC on state game lands. hunting with semi-auto is not allowed

with recent changes to the hunting regs you can now carry a semi-auto for personal defence during hunting season

here is the problem is a see it. during non-hunting season or non licenced hunters on state game lands if you posess a handgun usable for hunting (subjective to each game wardens inturptation) you are according to the pa game commission rules automaticly guilty of hunting (if semi-auto or out of season or non-licence)

i have read the rules many times, you can carry for personal defence for activities controlled by the game commission on state game lands, is hiking on state game lands a controlled activity by the game commission ?

next time i see a game warden (nj term) i will ask to see if there is a department policy

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    DUH! I should have read the Hunting & Trapping Digest a little closer.

Here's what it says: General Hunting Regulations, Loaded Firearms-Vehicles ..."Holders of License to Carry Firearms permit are exempt, but keep in mind that most sporting firearms are not authorized by the permit."
    that's what i was going to tell you, they put it in the hunting digest that you get with your license, and agree with steve, the sheriff's like to print all kinds of things on their little "info" cards they give you, and then of course when the law's change they don't bother updating them......

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    be carefull about LTC on state game lands. hunting with semi-auto is not allowed

with recent changes to the hunting regs you can now carry a semi-auto for personal defence during hunting season

here is the problem is a see it. during non-hunting season or non licenced hunters on state game lands if you posess a handgun usable for hunting (subjective to each game wardens inturptation) you are according to the pa game commission rules automaticly guilty of hunting (if semi-auto or out of season or non-licence)

i have read the rules many times, you can carry for personal defence for activities controlled by the game commission on state game lands, is hiking on state game lands a controlled activity by the game commission ?

next time i see a game warden (nj term) i will ask to see if there is a department policy

Its going to take a lot more than walking on an SGL with a .357 magnum revolver during a non-hunting season for you to be automatically guilty of hunting, even though the PGC law says "possession" is prima facia evidence.......

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Its going to take a lot more than walking on an SGL with a .357 magnum revolver during a non-hunting season for you to be automatically guilty of hunting, even though the PGC law says "possession" is prima facia evidence.......

Here is my thread from 2 weeks ago where we discussed this - http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...ands-ltcf.html

If you get a response from a warden please post it - I'm sure many of us are preparing to go into state game lands to scout our spots out for Deer Season...

Edit - and would want to carry

(Luzerne County)

I guess alot of this also depends on the warden. I noticed that if he is a newer younger warden, and is in "GOD" mode he might make it an issue. If he does ..don't argue with him, respect his position take the fine or what ever and fight it in court. Even thought it is legal. Just keep that in mind.
    Last edited by SSGF109; August 26th, 2007 at 07:41 AM.
    American by birth, Patriot by choice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast