Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default parking off work site with firearm inside with LTCF?

Ok here'2 the deal, I work security at night, they do have a rule in the hand book no firearms on the job site on you or in your personal vehicle, but what about parking off site across the road can they do anything about it? to make things short I pissed off some guys there since they never wanted to work, like security is so hard to do making rounds, but they reported me for having a firearm in my vehicle witch I have in there all the time but I park my car across the road? the office called me tonight and told me Im on leave for now till I have a meeting with them set up for next friday. can they do anything since I do have my LTCF and I never had a firearm on the site property?

(Carbon County)

Default Re: parking off work site with firearm inside with LTCF?

Pa is a "Right to Work" state. To a large extent, your employer can do whatever it wants to terminate your employment if you do not have a union. All they have to put in writing is the phrase "Terminated For Cause". In 1999, my wife was terminated in such a manner (but not related to firearms). Our lawyer actually got an illegal termination of employment hearing with a judge. The former employer was not forced to say what the "Cause" was. Relative to your specific situation, your employer cannot use the excuse of violating ther terms stated in your handbook because you are parking off their property. My employer also has a similar policy with the same "on property" restrictions. But, they can terminate you for missing a round, coming in 30 seconds late, or any little excuse, etc... now that you are in the hot seat. THIS JUST MY OPINION. Take this advice with a grain of salt. I am not an employee rights lawyer. I just work under the same circumstance and have a spouse who challenged the "Right to Work" aspect of our state. The only "best" opinion will come from an experienced lawyer.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by lethal93ta View Post
    but what about parking off site across the road can they do anything about it?
    They have no authority of what's not on their property.

but they reported me for having a firearm in my vehicle witch I have in there all the time but I park my car across the road?
    How did they know you have a firearm in your car? I assume you told them. Well now you can tell you're employeer they're lieing. Or fess up and admit it but explain that you were parked off company property and you thought that was ok based on the company handbook "no firearms on job site".

This is why if your company does not allow firearms in your vehicles, but you do it anyway, you should NEVER EVER EVER.... EVER let anyone know. What they don't know won't hurt them. What they do know, they WILL use it against you.

can they do anything since I do have my LTCF and I never had a firearm on the site property?
    As acliqueof1 mentioned PA is a right to work state. They can fire you for just about anything short of discrimination. They can claim downsizing or elimination of position. Or make up some lame poor performance excuse (which could prevent you from getting unemployment)
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

(Berks County)

this was only my part time job on weekends so no unemployment eather way I still have a full time job to go to, just the extra money helped. when HR called me last week to ask me about it I did admit I had a firearm in my car but it was parked off site and so far I had 3 supervisors that knew about it. yes I did tell someone I had it in my car but they did the same thing and knowing who it was I reported the same thing that they had one as well. 4 other guards there had firearms in there cars that I know of. if they do dismiss me Im going to have them put it in writing that I was dismissed for having a firearm in my vehicle and talk to a lawyer.

(Northampton County)

I don't think PA is a right to work state. The correct term for what people mean here is "at will". This means that without an employment contract or collective bargining agreement your employment is at will....meaning it can be terminated by either party at any time, for any reason,that does not violate the law or no reason at all.

So.....to the OP...unless you can prove discrimination or another violation of the law...you can be fired at any time.

The fact that you have a LTCF means nothing in this case.

If I had a gun in my car...I would not tell anyone. If for no other reason...I would worry about my car being broken into by some lowlife wanting to steal the gun.

(Delaware County)

Did you sign anything agreeing with the terms of the employment?

I am NOT a lawyer, but be careful, and understand what you sign. Many people on this forum have discussed their company having a no gun policy at their job/company. Many have chosen to park away from the company owned lot. Some States allow guns in personal vehicles now. I hope more will.

I would NEVER tell another employee or supervisor anything to detailed about my personal business! Just not a good thing to do.
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by lethal93ta View Post
    Ok here'2 the deal, I work security at night, they do have a rule in the hand book no firearms on the job site on you or in your personal vehicle, but what about parking off site across the road can they do anything about it? to make things short I pissed off some guys there since they never wanted to work, like security is so hard to do making rounds, but they reported me for having a firearm in my vehicle witch I have in there all the time but I park my car across the road? the office called me tonight and told me Im on leave for now till I have a meeting with them set up for next friday. can they do anything since I do have my LTCF and I never had a firearm on the site property?
    If you want to solve the problem permanently.

Rep Pyle has introduced HB 2049 the “Preservation & Protection of the Right to Keep and Bear Arms in a Motor Vehicle act" bill. Its modeled after a similar Florida law

we now have 71 sponsors on this bill.

..... Everyone has a choice to help work toward solving the problem or JUST DEAL with the way things currently are......... you decide

If you want to help do your part to get this passed into law, please contact the Reps listed in post #24 and ask them to become co sponsors.

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/654...us-page-3.html

here HB 2049 actual text
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/...type=B&BN=2049
    Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

(Delaware County)

I would not admit to having a firearm in my vehicle. Do they have any proof of this, have they seen you with it, did your managers see this at all NO. So I would tell them that they are making the whole thing up because they are mad at you for working more then them and you stated that they were lazy and did not want to work, these are false accusations.
    I would park a block or two away and walk up to the job site in the future so they can't check out your car. Just my opinion.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by vetter3006 View Post
    I would not admit to having a firearm in my vehicle. Do they have any proof of this, have they seen you with it, did your managers see this at all NO. So I would tell them that they are making the whole thing up because they are mad at you for working more then them and you stated that they were lazy and did not want to work, these are false accusations.
    I would park a block or two away and walk up to the job site in the future so they can't check out your car. Just my opinion.
    They don't need proof. "At will" means just that. The OP should not have ever said anything about a gun in his car. Everyone reading this should learn from it............AND support HB 2049.

The job sounds like a low paying gig anyway. I would just find another near min wage part time job & get on with my life.

(York County)

What is done is done, people know, they turned you in because you made them uncomfortable.
    That being said, you are part time, they simply can leave you off the schedule or fire you. I would recommend having a resignation letter typed up and if they are going to fire you give them the letter. Then when you apply some where else when asked why you left you can say you quit for what ever reason you want, but you don't have to say you were fired.
    HR will always accept a resignation over termination, less chance it will come back to bit them.
    Good luck and remember the lessons learned for next time.
    RIP -The US constitution.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast