Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Started carrying concealed.

I received my LTCF last month. I carried for the first time yesterday. I guess I had to work up the nerve.

I have a Taurus 24/7 Pro .45acp that I carried in a Galco IWB holster. I had on jean shorts, a tshirt that was tucked in and a light short sleeve button down shirt over that. The shirt was unbuttoned.

After checking the mirror I was surprised that it didn't print at all. Atleast not that I could tell.

So off to the stores I went. Did some returns and other shopping. On my way out of Walmart though a gust of wind caught and lifted my shirt while I was walking past a car in the lot. The guy sitting in the car saw it. His eyes appeared to get bigger. Atleast that's what it looked like to me.

It felt very weird having a fully loaded ready to go firearm on my hip. I found myself looking at other people trying to see if could spot someone else carrying. I also kept tugging at the shirt to make sure it concealed.

I know.... It's a newbie thing to do but I couldn't help it. It's going to take some getting used to for sure.

Just thought I'd share.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Wayne County)

Wink Re: Started carrying concealed.

I did the same thing when I first started to carry. Check my cloths check the holster especially if it was a paddle type. Now it "s second nature as a matter of fact I feel weird if I don't carry. I still check to see if anyone else is carrying just to keep on the safe side not all people that conceal carry are good guys and it pays to be aware. I just open carried last week for the fist time and that felt a little weird have to see if I do it again.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Started carrying concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    I have a Taurus 24/7 Pro .45acp that I carried in a Galco IWB holster. I had on jean shorts, a tshirt that was tucked in and a light short sleeve button down shirt over that. The shirt was unbuttoned.
    Unbuttoned oxford shirt over T shirt over IWB is my normal summer carry mode. You can conceal almost anything this way, provided the cover garment is a little over-sized.

After checking the mirror I was surprised that it didn't print at all. Atleast not that I could tell.
    It's hard to tell in the mirror, since you're mostly motionless. Moving, shifting, bending is where printing happens -- you'll learn over time how to do all of that discretely.

On my way out of Walmart though a gust of wind caught and lifted my shirt while I was walking past a car in the lot.
    I guarantee that you'll develop a "wind radar" where your arms will instinctively be in a position where you can easily catch the cover garment before it billows up.

I also kept tugging at the shirt to make sure it concealed.
    Which is a sure "tell" for those in the know. But you'll get over it fast.

(Luzerne County)

If its a windy day, I will keep the bottom button on my over shirt buttoned.

(Berks County)

Congratulations, PisnNapalm! I remember when I first starting carrying several months back and I can definitely relate to everything that you are talking about.

rand

(Berks County)

Congrats! My first time carrying concealed was also an unnerving experience, but also extremely liberating. It was the first time I had an answer to the question, "If my safety were compromised, what would I do?". I know it's not exactly as clear-cut as that, but a number of options that were previously unavailable opened up.

I received my LTCF last month. I carried for the first time yesterday. I guess I had to work up the nerve.
    I also found it necessary to muster up some courage to leave the house with it on. This is completely normal; search the site and you'll find others besides me who said the same thing.

You'll find that most pistols in a good IWB holster will print a lot less than you think it prints. I've carried an M&P 9mm in an IWB holster with nothing but a T-shirt covering it all summer long without any problems. I've gone to the mall, shopping with the family, restaurants, etc. and never had a problem.

It felt very weird having a fully loaded ready to go firearm on my hip. I found myself looking at other people trying to see if could spot someone else carrying. I also kept tugging at the shirt to make sure it concealed.
    I still find myself doing this from time to time, it's a hard habit to break. There's nothing wrong with making sure you're covered, especially in windy conditions or after bending down, crouching, etc (I have to do this a lot when I'm out with the wife and kids). However, don't fiddle around with your shirt too much, otherwise it can look like you have something to hide. Again, a hard habit to break, but something that will become easier with time and practice.

Again, congrats and carry always!
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Lancaster County)

What they all said. hey it looks like school starts soon and I am laid off so when you are ready Manheim Sportsman has a range waiting for us.
    --------------------
    Wayne

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis 1935
    ---------------

(Allegheny County)

PisnNapalm,

Congrats!
    I'm going thru a similar phase with OC. Very strange indeed!

When I first started CC, I would do so without telling my wife, just to test my concealment. I had been carrying for about two weeks (shopping/dining...) before revealing my "secret". Now she just assumes it's on me anytime we leave the house.
    (and she didn't object when I OC'd when stopping for ice cream the other day! I love her. )

Give it some time, and the handgun will be as much a part of your daily dress as a watch and your wallet.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Now we just gotta work on getting ya to carry unconcealed

(Bucks County)

congrats man! I've been concealed-carrying for about a year and a couple months, and as others have stated working on OC occasionally (mostly out of comfort in the summer), I can totally relate to the first time feeling, but it'll fade fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast