Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Angry Cabelas - Hamburg, PA

On Tuesday, January 26, 2010, one of my sons and I drove the hour plus ride to Cabelas in Hamburg, PA for the purpose of looking at rifles for varmint hunting. We apparently arrived at good time as the wait at the gun counter was very short. We surrendered our pulled ticket and "Billy" was next in line to assist us. He was very polite and appeared knowledgeable. After we explained what we were looking for and the price range, he showed us a number of rifles, one being a Remington 700 SPS, varmint barrel. He stated there was a $50 manufacturer's mail-in rebate (later found to be $40 when I mailed it in), and the price was $589.99 before the rebate. As I am in the Public Safety sector, and we receive flyers from Cabelas for "Public Safety Days" offering a 10% discount, so I asked if they would be able to give me a discount. Billy said he would check and left the counter area. He returned about 2 minutes later and stated he couldn't do that as corporate decides when and if this happens. I then asked if there were any other discounts, promotions, or incentives and he asked if I had a Cabelas Club credit card. I said I did and he answered that by saying if I had any points I could cash them in. I had about $38 worth. I mentioned that about once every month or two, I receive a Cabelas post card in the mail offering a flat discount or scaled amount based on how much you are spending. Billy told me there weren't any and there was no upcoming cards or sales on this rifle. Believing this, I purchased the rifle at $589.99 plus tax, less my $38. I used my Cabelas credit card.

On Saturday, January 30th, the afternoon mail brought a Cabelas post card stating that February 5-7 was NRA Weekend and that with few exceptions, a 10% discount would be applied to all purchases. The card had delivery dates of January 27th to the 29th.

On Sunday, January 31st, I phoned Cabelas - Hamburg and spoke to "Don" in the Customer service complaint department. I explained my aforementioned story and was told after placing me on hold and returning a minute later, "Sorry, the store manager just walked by and told me no, nothing can be done." I told him I would complain to Corporate and his comment was " That's up to you, have a nice day."

I called their catalog number and a man named "Iver" answered, was very nice, and stated the section I needed was closed (Sunday), however, he offered and did take my complaint, saying they would call me on Monday (Feb. 1st).

On Monday, Feb. 1st, I drove to Dick's after work to look at scopes for this rifle I bought. Imagine my dismay when I found this same model and caliber for a sale price of $489.99. I asked their salesman when the rifle had gone on sale and he told me it was a month ago. He explained they were on sale until gone and the next ones would be $589.99. I will now be adding this to my complaint as I see I will have to call Cabelas...as they apparently won't be calling me. I'll update this as soon as I finish talking to them. Some concern and customer service...from Cabelas!

(Montgomery County)

Talking Re: Cabelas - Hamburg, PA

OUCH!!! that really hurts Well call that the "cabelas trifecta".
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Monroe County)

Smile Re: Cabelas - Hamburg, PA

Well, my faith has been restored in Cabelas! I spoke to a very nice lady at their Corporate Customer Service and explained my plight. She apologized for my difficulties I encountered at the Hamburg store and stated that there should not have been a question in giving me the 10% after the NRA Weekend card was told to "Don". She is sending me a gift card for $58.99... which is just fine AND fair to me! I guess it's best to be polite and firm to remedy the situation. Thanks, Cabelas!!!!

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Cabelas - Hamburg, PA

well it worked out in your favor i guess. now use that gift card to get some ammo for your rifle

(Bucks County)

Glad to see that everything was rectifified for you. Next time do a little more shopping or buy from one of your local guys if you are going to pay more.
    Look to the One Who is wearing what should have been your scars...

(Berks County)

It's good to hear that Cabela's was willing to rectify the situation for you. Although you had to jump through a few hoops to get there.

(Berks County)

I've been to the Cabelas down in Hamburg numerous times, and I find their prices to be pretty high on many of the things that they have there. Nice to go in and look around, but I honestly would not spend my money there as I believe their prices are a little ridiculous.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you have, is also big enough to take it all away.
    Gerald Ford.

Happiness is 5,000 rounds of match ammo.

(Lancaster County)

Moral of story,don't spend your money at Cabelas. Like my daddy used to say,a satisfied customer tells his friends,a dissatisfied customer tells everybody !

(Berks County)

Just an FYI on the NRA promotion.....

There was a coupon in the last month's copy of all the NRA magazines that stated they had the sale weekend coming up. I have had those magazines for at least 3 weeks now already........they even sent a postcard to my 9 year old daughter about it (she is a life member also).

I guess you don't read your magazines???? There was even a thread on here about it......

At least you got some satisfaction from them.

(Berks County)

Cabelas.....seems to be hit or miss.

I am only 10 minutes away, and usually only stop in when I have a coupon.

You can haggle....sometimes. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Last year I was looking to add another single stage press, they had ONE rockchucker left on the shelf and the box was beat up. Salesman knocked off 10% because the box was scuffed and had a tear....the press itself was fine and complete.

It never hurts to ask for a better price or a deal of some kind, worse they can say is no.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast