Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Allowing posting in the classifieds?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - It would be nice

14 25.45%
  • No - Leave it alone

41 74.55%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Classifieds

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    I like it how it is, with the exception of a little more organization in the firearms area - a rifle, shotgun and pistol (maybe NFA) section would be killer so that if I'm looking for any of the above I dont have to weed through the other entries.
    THIS....I too would like a little more organization

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by smitty56 View Post
    Do not allow posting to other people's ads. It just starts flame wars for price and comments.
    This is exactly why replies were disabled.

There is no need to discuss an offer of a sale.

As far as mandatory pictures go, the market will figure that out. I would bet $1 that there is a strong correlation between ads with pictures and ads that move sales better.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post

As far as mandatory pictures go, the market will figure that out. I would bet $1 that there is a strong correlation between ads with pictures and ads that move sales better.
    Both points well taken.

Any thought to more organization?

(Lebanon County)

I look at the classifieds every day. I buy and sell occasionally. I like it the way it is, basic, simple and success is up to the person posting the ad. I've skipped many ads that were very poorly worded or lacking decent, if any pictures but I've tolerated what some would consider "substandard" ads because it's something that I'm looking for. If it's something I really want I don't care how the OP chooses to present it for sale, if it's a crappy ad it can actually work to my advantage because there are people who will skip an ad because it doesn't appear to be up to their standards thus giving me an advantage.
    When I list something for sale I try to be as clear and concise as possible with my description and I'll retake pictures several times to get just the right shot. If I want to sell something I realize that it's up to me to advertise it properly or I'm going to have a hard time selling it. If the ad doesn't really need pictures I don't bother. Does anyone really need to see a brick of 1000 Federal Small Rifle Primers to know what they are or what they look like?
    Some things should have pictures, and good ones at that, but if the OP doesn't include them he/she is only hurting one person.
    Replies to the ads were allowed in the past. It had some good points, such as getting a seller to divulge information that may have been overlooked when originally posting the ad, but it would also lead (quite often) to derogatory comments and insults.
    As it is now, the OP can edit an ad to include info that may be asked for in a PM or email or choose to leave it as is.
    When the rules changed to not allow replies I thought that sucked, but now I realize the benefits and I like it a lot better the way it is.
    The best part of it is IT'S FREE!
    I have a hard time trying to justify lodging a complaint against anything at that price.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

sometimes i look like to leave comments like "are you kidding me bout the price? for 10.00 more i can get a new one" so no we should not have comments

Quote Originally Posted by dunsho View Post
    sometimes i look like to leave comments like "are you kidding me bout the price? for 10.00 more i can get a new one" so no we should not have comments
    This is the reason we shouldn't be able to reply. I too get the urge to tell someone there $700 wasr can be bought for $380. But they will figure it out soon enough. Unless it's the guy that bumps it every 3 days for 2 years.

I mean if you have 2 pages in a classified post then... well.... maybe you need to make some adjustments.

I like the no reply and the 3 day bump.

As either a buyer or seller I wouldn't want postings because it's a private transaction of which I would prefer to keep private. PMs work just fine for questions and negotiations.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post

Dan,

I figured that this is the reason that replies are turned off and I completely understand the logic. It does take some work to keep it clean when they are on. I know a few sites that have been able to manage this balance pretty well.

I do appreciate the service.

I agree with some of the other posters, I will not buy anything from the classifieds without pictures.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Monroe County)

Nothing good will come out of posting in the classifieds. People will bitch and moan about prices or models, and it will be a cluttered hang out for trolls and malcontents. Nothing would be accomplished that can't currently be accomplished privately through PM exchange between the seller/buyer and interested party.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    Nothing good will come out of posting in the classifieds. People will bitch and moan about prices or models, and it will be a cluttered hang out for trolls and malcontents. Nothing would be accomplished that can't currently be accomplished privately through PM exchange between the seller/buyer and interested party.
    Not sure if I completely agree with that. At first there would be some pain, but the mods (existing or possibly new) would have to monitor it. People would get the point that stomping on people's post would not be tolerated.

I think that some people post things in the classifieds who don't have any intention to sell it. It would be pretty obvious who those people are and other members of this forum could easily see that and not waste their time.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast