Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Cowboy Action Shooting

man, some of this stuff is no joke...i watched in amazement at how fast some of these guys are with single action brass bead revolvers and and single shot shotguns...http://www.downrange.tv/player2.htm

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Cowboy Action Shooting

Theres a guy(cant remember name) that can pop off (6) single action shots in just over 1 second. He did some sort of splayed finger fanning on a precocked gun - each finger of the weak hand recocking it after a discharge on a wave of the hand.

The single shot shotgun is an easy one to do fast. I've been using singles since I was a kid. learned to break/grab&pull/drop/close&cock in a jiffy to get rabbits in FL.

Many people make the assumption that SA revolvers and double/single shot shotguns are insufficient for defensive(or offensive) use.. however they fail to realize there is generally 3 reasons why that person has one.

1. they are cheaper and thats all they could afford.
    2. they prefer them and thats all they have.
    3. they prefer them and they are better with them than you are with your techno piece.

Do you really want to find out which reason they own/carry/use such things?
    Last edited by knight0334; August 22nd, 2007 at 03:23 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Franklin County)

Is it true what I've heard though that most Cowboy shooters tend to use uber crazy light loads?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseybacon View Post
    Is it true what I've heard though that most Cowboy shooters tend to use uber crazy light loads?
    Many do, might even be "most" do.. however there are some to many that use midlevel(standard) loads. Heavy loads aren't needed for the shoots.

Your late 1800's era cartridges were loaded with black powder. The most powerful pistol cartridge of the time was the 45LC at about 350-450ft lb of energy... which is relatively low compared to some of today's cartridges, but matching the 45acp, 9mm, 40S&W.

There was a well known SA revolver shooter that competed at one of those IDPA/IHMSA type events with his Colt 45(cowboy style).. well he won, but people claim he used under-spec'd rounds... so he grabbed a handful and launched them thru the chrono and allowed the judges to weigh the lead, well he was shooting the most powerful rounds out of them all - by quite a substantial difference.

I know for a fact that IDPA/IHMSA shooters use SQUIB+ loads, hell even light loads are promoted at the events.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I know for a fact that IDPA/IHMSA shooters use SQUIB+ loads, hell even light loads are promoted at the events.

At major IDPA matches they have to pass the chrono and the power factor is comparable to IPSC.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

I don't care what kind of loads these guys use...I just find the physical movements and coordination impressive. I certainly have a new respect for their shooting sport. (not that I didn't respect it before, I just never watched it)

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    At major IDPA matches they have to pass the chrono and the power factor is comparable to IPSC.

I knew one or two of those organizations have a power requirement, just not sure which(competitive shooting isn't my thing)..

I just remember being at one of those events and some of the bullets being tested were 45acps 1ft from muzzle @ 500-600fps, well below mil-spec or industry standard levels. Even 16lb recoil springs were too much for some of the loads, custom 13-15lb springs were needed. ..but there were allowed to shoot them.

With the cowboy shoots, I know some of those guys use "bread & butter" rounds for sure. Theres been times I swore I could see the bullet flying.

(Lawrence County)

Using heavy loads really won't slow you down much over foo foo rounds, but I know what you're saying.

Lycanbeamanandshootheavythrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.