Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Question about WASR 10 types

Ok forgive me if this is a stupid question but I haven't been able to find information on this anywhere.

I may be buying a WASR 10 from a friend. He is not the original owner so he doesn't really know the history of the gun. His accepts double-stacked mags. From what I've read the WASR 10 originally came with single stacked mags. Wikipedia shows the doublestack listed as "GP WASR 10". His is marked WASR 10.

My question is: Are GP WASR 10's marked "WASR 10" or "GP WASR 10" is there any way to tell the difference between the two? My only concern is that his may have been opened up to accept double stack and may not meet 922r

Default Re: Question about WASR 10 types

If I remember correctly, the "GP" marked ones were produced after the AWB, and have bayonet lug, threaded barrel, etc. while the plane WASR model (what I have), do not have any of those. Also, the GP models are supposedly higher quality, but that I can't confirm.

As for the magazine well, mine looks like it was a single-stack model that was converted to double stack. No problems with any magazines with mine.
    Last edited by jokusfocus; February 2nd, 2010 at 11:39 AM.

(Allegheny County)

I've had single-stacked WASRs - with and without PSL stock and no lugs/no brake, double-stacked no-lugs/no-brake, double-stacked WITH bayo lugs and slant brake - all of them said "GP".

Only WASRs I have that DIDN'T say GP is my WASR2 and my WASR22's.

To be blunt; I don't think freaking Century knows - or cares - what a "GP" is or is supposed to mean.
    Last edited by nfafan; February 2nd, 2010 at 11:45 AM.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Lancaster County)

All WASR's were originally imported to accept single stack magazines. The question involves whether it was modified at the factory, or by some dude in his basement.

If it's an older one, in all honesty, the one the dude did in his basement was probably better work, but like you said--it may not meet 922r.

The key is to just check it out. If it's not 922r compliant, it's not all that expensive or difficult to remedy that. As long as he's giving you a decent deal, then it's nothing to fear.

Just make sure the mag doesn't wobble around too much and that the sights are straight.