Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Finally got some range time with my Marlin 925

I have mixed feelings on this rifle.

Firstly, it is VERY accurate, however the POA and the POI aren't the same. I need to bump the rear sight over to the left. I had no problem finding other threads via google about the same thing.

I get the impression Marlin intends this gun to be used with a scope and puts the iron sights there for good measure.

The front sight also has this ramp cut into it which looks sharp...until you point the rifle at something and the reflective metal disappears in all lighting. I am probably going to paint this ramp red with modeling paint (or any other suggestions that come up).

Also, the magazine is a pain to load. And you load it often being that it is only 7 shots. Does anybody know if a speed loader exists for this magazine? I have a speed loader for my Ruger Mark III Hunter and it makes it my favorite gun to shoot.

-Zach

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Finally got some range time with my Marlin 925

TO ZACHOMEGA........

I had the same problem with mine reflecting light... If you are going to paint the sight FIRST put on a coat of white... let it dry real well, then put on the red or whatever color you decide on... otherwise the red will be very dark also .... Just a suggestion......

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    I have mixed feelings on this rifle.

Firstly, it is VERY accurate, however the POA and the POI aren't the same. I need to bump the rear sight over to the left. I had no problem finding other threads via google about the same thing.

I get the impression Marlin intends this gun to be used with a scope and puts the iron sights there for good measure.

The front sight also has this ramp cut into it which looks sharp...until you point the rifle at something and the reflective metal disappears in all lighting. I am probably going to paint this ramp red with modeling paint (or any other suggestions that come up).

Also, the magazine is a pain to load. And you load it often being that it is only 7 shots. Does anybody know if a speed loader exists for this magazine? I have a speed loader for my Ruger Mark III Hunter and it makes it my favorite gun to shoot.

-Zach
    Yeah ive looked for a speed loaded for it and i couldnt find one.
    That 7th shot is a bitch, work it alot and it will come good.
    Also i wouldnt bother with a speed loaded and go on with that painting ramp.

(Bucks County)

I'm glad to see I'm not alone in the sights being kind of crummy. Good call on the white paint first. I will probably use modeling paint as I said before. Oil based stuff. Shouldn't need the white first, but maybe I will pick up a bottle of white just to be on the safe side. Never know when I will need white paint.

-Zach

(Monroe County)

check out the Marlin board at www.rimfirecentral.com for tons of info on your Marlin, the POI/POA prob could also be ammo related, how many types of ammo did you try?

I shoot cci exclusiely in my 883.

Nyman

(Bucks County)

I tried two different types (both the cheap crap in the bulk 550 round boxes). Federal and Remington. Strangely, in under 200 shots, I managed to find 2 duds in the Remington box which failed to go off at all. No such problems from the Federal.

Both were hollow point and both drifted right at 15 yard in an indoor range. I tried shooting further back and the effect was even further right.

So far the solution looks like tapping the sight to the left with a nylon mallet. I think I am capable of that.

Thanks for the link. I will check out rimfirecentral in a bit although I'd hate to join another forum. I am already up to...well too many.

-Zach