Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Question Used Handgun Purchase

Question on buying a handgun from a private seller. All my stuff I have bought new from the gun shop, so I'm not sure how a private sale goes.

I know someone who wants to sell a handgun that I would like to buy. What goes on as far as the transfer? He brings the gun to a FFL dealer or shop, and I'm there, and is it only the paperwork, transfer fee and the background check for me?

Does the purchase price come into the deal, or is that between him and I? Is it only the transfer fee, or is there sales tax too on the purchase price?

See, I told him to do his homework and research what that particular gun should sell for... I think his Mrs. told him "the guns have to go" and he just wants to sell them.... He remembers what he paid for it about 10 years ago but he is not into guns anymore, and isn't up on current prices. The thing is, the price he wanted to sell the gun for, if that comes up at the gun dealer, the dealer will probably blow the deal by tellin' this guy he's nuts for selling at that price.

I told him to research the going price, but if he just wants to get rid of it, far be it for me to tell him what it should go for.

Thanks for any info!

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Used Handgun Purchase

Quote Originally Posted by L T C View Post
    He brings the gun to a FFL dealer or shop, and I'm there, and is it only the paperwork, transfer fee and the background check for me?
    ^^^ This.
    Additionally, you do not both need be at the dealer at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by L T C View Post
    Does the purchase price come into the deal, or is that between him and I? Is it only the transfer fee, or is there sales tax too
    No tax
    It would be none of the dealers business what the purchase price/trade/gift/etc details are.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Centre County)

I would get the price set and agreed upon before the gun ever went to the FFL to do the transfer. Even to the point of paying for it before you receive it. It appears that you want to give the guy a fair price for the gun. You should also research the prices to know if he is asking too much. That way if something is said in front of the FFL, and the FFL says that he should have asked more for it, the deal is already done. The selling price is none of the FFL's business and if the FFL wrecked the deal, I'd be more than a little upset.

Also, no sales tax on a FTF deal, don't let a dealer tell you otherwise. The only time a dealer collects sales tax is if HE is selling from HIS stock. The only charges would be the transfer fee and the PICS fee (if not included in the transfer fee).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

Thumbs up Thanks!!

Excellent info guys.

Thank You!

(Berks County)

A minor and maybe irrelevant point - even if you are doing an even trade with a dealer, there is no sales tax charged - there is no sale.

I have had a dealer attempt to charge me tax for an even trade, and left it all on the counter.

mark
    Another armed Liberal veteran.

(Philadelphia County)

I've done 6 or 8 face-to-face transfers in recent years and never had the dealer / FFL mention price, which, as stated above, is none of his business. I think most dealers realize that would be very bad form, just as bad as interfereing with a deal between a dealer and a walk-in seller when you just happen to be in the shop.

(Jefferson County)

I concur with the others.. Price matters none. You coulda offered him 3hrs with a hooker sister in trade for a gun. What matters is the transfer of ownership of the gun, and the background check which is required. ...not what was paid, bartered, gifted, or pimped out.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!