Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Question Opinions on Springfield Armory's M1A line?

I'm thinking about ditching my AK and upgrading to a .308 rifle.

The M1A line has caught my eye, specifically the Socom 16, Socom II, and the Scout Squad. I've done some searching but I haven't found any detailed threads on the subject of these guns, their pros and cons, things to consider. One thread I found had this incredibly sexy "JAE" stock, but google tells me its $600? Confirm?

Aside from those guns, I'd love to hear recommendations for other (cheaper only) .308 battle rifles. (Am I correct to consider the M1A variants to be "battle rifles"?)

Thanks!

(Cambria County)

Default Re: Opinions on Springfield Armory's M1A line?

I looked at all 3 models and bought the squad scout.I liked the balance more and you get a little more velocity.You can't go wrong with any model.

I own a Springfield M1A match II .308 stainless fiberglass embedded barrel, walnut stock. Beautiful rifle, shoots well, but in competition the AR's have it hands down. Still very glad I bought it, very awesome rifle. Oh and Springfield threw in a leather competition sling to boot and Springfield dollars which I used to buy 2 extra magazines, cheek rest, and the Springfield gaget tool.
    I have had no problems with it what so ever.
    The answer to a fool is silence.

(Berks County)

While I don't own a Springfield M1A, I have shot a buddies M1A Socom 16. I wasn't impressed with that particular rifle.

The magazines insertions and removals were very difficult and there were failure to feed problems. We later determined that the failure to feed problems were due to using non-factory magazines. And the mag insertions got a little better after many mag changes.

I've heard from other Socom 16 owners that have never experienced these problems, so it's not a common problem.

Aside from the aforementioned glitches, the rifle is a still fun to shoot. The accuracy is what you would expect using iron sights on a semi-automatic rifle. The muzzle brake on the Socom 16 really makes it fun to shoot with others nearby, due to the blast. It's always nice to see people take a a few steps further back when you're up to the firing line.

(Lancaster County)

I have a socom 16 and 18in barrel bush rifle.I've had no problems with ether one.an like anything else you learn mag changes are no problem.I'm a big fan of the 308.hope this helps crazywolf

(Beaver County)

thumbs up on the socom 16.
    ive had one for a while now and have been very happy with its performance.
    mine has been dead-on reliable since day 1.
    its loud but not that bad.
    recoil is actually pretty tame thanks to that special break.
    all the mags i have are factory so never had any issues there either.
    pretty accurate as well, given what it is.

(Pike County)

I have a Socom 16, love it. You gotta watch cheap mags, most are crap. Zero problems with Springfield or US surplus mags.
    The muzzle break used on the Socom is very good, makes the short barrel 308 controlable in rapid fire.
    Personally I don't like the Socom II, the rail adds about 2 pounds, make it real front heavy. But I would take one it someone gave it to me.
    Last edited by gf45acp; February 1st, 2010 at 10:49 PM. Reason: sp

(Union County)

Arrow Re: Opinions on Springfield Armory's M1A line?

Lifetime guarantee from Springfield is another + for the M1A whichever model you decide on. I've got a standard and two Bush/Scouts. My only problem is I don't have enough love to go around for 3 M1As....they ain't "cheap dates" anymore these days! I am hopefully getting rid of one of my Bush's shortly, But even w/ only two, I would STILL be hard pressed to decide which one to grab for a SHTF scenario.... I'd prolly end up dead on my feet saying "Eenie meinie miney...." for the umpteenth time! lol

imo the best form of the M1A is full size. this is because of the big 3 - M1A, FAL and G3 - it has the best iron sights and out of the box trigger pull. it is also the easiest to shoot accurately. the full barrel length and long sight radius best lends itself to accurate shooting

if you want a short rifle i'd recommend a 16" PTR91 or G3 clone, b/c the operating system is the same for the 16" and 18" rifles, and the reliability of the rifle should be tolerant of the reduced barrel length. this has a lot to do with the manner in which the G3 cycles vs the M1A/M14 and FAL, which depend on gas pressure created by barrel length to cycle the piston that drives the action. on the G3 this all happens in proximity to the chamber and the roller-locking mechanism.

FAL's are great in their own right, but you either need to spend the $$ for DSA to get a reliable 16" barrel system, or take your chances that an 18" or 22" barrel rifle was cut down and the gas system modified properly. they are probably the "handiest" of the big 3 but the least inherently accurate. not that it can't be done but it will take A LOT more effort. they make the best carbine-length stock rifle of the big 3.

imo 7.62x51/308 is best out of an 18" barrel, as the barrel length decreases muzzle velocity will start to drop off with diminishing reurns on the best characteristics of the 7.62x51 vs. the 7.62x39.

if you really want a 16" 7.62x51/308 i'd get a Saiga. otherwise get something with an 18" barrel that fits what you want to use it for. of the three, definately don't buy a G3 clone unless you've had a chance to handle one personally. they can be reconfigured to improve their ergonomics, and training will improve your ability to use it effectively, but they are definately the least intuitive of the big 3 and have the worst out-of-the box ergonomics of the three.

(Clearfield County)

My M1A Bush Rifle is my favorite "child" in my family of firearms, and the first one I would grab if the SHTF. There's a warm, comforting feeling in hefting a twenty round magazine full of .308 Win. I consider my ARs as backups and something for the Hippie Chick to use, if we need it.
    "Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions." G.K. Chesterton