Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default scotia trip 1/31/10

ok so after expanding my collection 3 fold i wanted to go to the range regardless of the temp..... seeing as i dont know of any indoor ranges in the area we decided to take a trip to scotia...... now i thought seeing as its 25 degrees max it would be fairly empty......

couldnt be more wrong!! all of the aux ranges had atleast 5 people in them...

so me, my fiancee, and her friend who has never held a gun let alone fire a gun before went out for some target practice.... now i bought a brand new ruger 10/22 soi stopped off at the 50 yd riflerange and they continued to the handgun range....

onl reason i mention this part is cuz im still pissed about it.... my fiancee who has shot all her life goes over there and there is nowhere to put anything down..... there is a group in the 25 yd handgun range (designated by signs) with maybe 5 or 6 rifles... (ak's. ar's, and atleast one m1) shotting in there while there was a table or two open on the rifle range..... somy fiancee goes over there and asks if they are using both sides...

reply is no.. they then ask if they could move somestuff so they could use the range.....

huff and puff but they make room......

so as i stated earlier... there was a friend who is there for the first time... after a safty instruction and all the other beginner stuff you need to go through she gets up there about 10 yards away and my fiancee walks her through loading and chambering.... at this moment a guy and his bdd come up next to them and start shooting..... now i understand its a public range but he said nothing and just started shooting.... that would piss me off let alone myfiancee anda person who hasnt shot yet... so my faincee waits till they are done and they step back.... the friend then starts to shoot... mising the target

one of them snickers "you might want to try aiming at the target!"

they then turn around and go back to the table...

the girl said she didnt want to shoot anymore and went back and sat in the car... she didnt come back for about 20 minutes after the group left

unfortunatly there is nothing i can do about this kind of stuff because it is a public range... all in all she came back and i let her shoot my rifle which she liked alot and after about 2hours we headed back home.....

for me it was a good day but then i look back and think what would happen if she took that personally.... i try to get someone into shooting and someone decided they are better cause she didnt hit the target with her first hand gun...

i kind of find it pathetic that gun owners still treat other gun owners (and their friends) like shit....

i will say there were 3 groups of people who came after them.... one with a glock in 40sw and one with a new walther p22 and the third with another glock 40sw who were all very friendly and willing to converse and have a good time......

i dont know if i made any sense but o had to vent a bit.... now off to cleaning guns

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: scotia trip 1/31/10

Unfortunately that is the problem with public ranges... you get ALL kinds there... not only shooting rifles on the handgun range, but belittling new shooters...Its a shame, but goes with the territory... just glad you all had fun.. that's what it is about.... Good luck in the future...

(Carbon County)

It's a shame that some people feel the need to belittle others to make themselves feel better. Reassure her that most people she'll meet at a range are willing to encourage and help her hone her shooting skills. Sounds like overall you had a good day of shooting though.

(Centre County)

Should have posted up you were going, I would have gladly come out and shot! Would have had 1/2 a mind to smack them in the wang to for being Dbags but I don't think that would have said anything like that around me. People always seem to get worried when you walk around the range with suppressed guns... the MAC scares them too for some reason...
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Centre County)

Usually, the crowd at scotia is better than that, but I also tend to go early as possible in the morning to avoid the frat/college kiddie crowds while they are still home hungover.

If it happens to be too busy, I'll just leave. My biggest concern is safety and with no range safety officer I don't like keeping track of too many people and where their muzzles may be pointing. I still remember the time not too long ago when I had to take a gun from someone who muzzle swept their own head...with a loaded gun! I still have nightmares about that.

i'be been thinking of taking a trip to the scotia range but havent made it yet. how long is their rifle range?

(Centre County)

Post deleted by poster, as I am, doing to almost all my posts.
    Last edited by TheF00L; April 13th, 2010 at 07:30 AM.

(Centre County)

Out of all the times I've been to Scotia I have yet to come across anybody like who you ran into. Most of the people I run into are happy to talk about their guns. A couple of years ago when I was just starting to get into guns I was out with two other friends and as we were leaving we ran across a guy by himself at the outside of the fence rifle range with his ak. We talked to him for a couple mins. and it was my first time seeing an ak in person and to my suprised he let us take a few shots.

The only time I really try to avoid the range is right before rifle season just because they are packed. This past year I was trying to get a load done for my 30-06 a few days before rifle season, went out to test them and to my surprise everybody was friendly.

(Centre County)

I have found some real jerks at the aux range at times. The type that wants to shoot up tv's, glass bottles, etc. When I asked about them cleaning it up they just told me to "f" off, the range was paid for by their taxes and the guy that works there will clean it up. You don't argue with these types so I just went back to my truck and waited for them to leave. After they did I cleaned up after them (I always have stuff in the truck that I can put trash in) and after I did my shooting I dropped it off at the dumpster they have and went in to talk to Jeff, he had been extremely busy that day and wasn't able to get down to the aux range. I gave him descriptions and the make, model and license of the car they left in. He said he'd keep an eye out for them in the future. These kinds of a holes are the ones that will cause ranges to close and then complain about it.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Relex View Post
    Out of all the times I've been to Scotia I have yet to come across anybody like who you ran into. Most of the people I run into are happy to talk about their guns. A couple of years ago when I was just starting to get into guns I was out with two other friends and as we were leaving we ran across a guy by himself at the outside of the fence rifle range with his ak. We talked to him for a couple mins. and it was my first time seeing an ak in person and to my suprised he let us take a few shots.

The only time I really try to avoid the range is right before rifle season just because they are packed. This past year I was trying to get a load done for my 30-06 a few days before rifle season, went out to test them and to my surprise everybody was friendly.
    the majority of people you run into there are going to be very nice people.. we all have a common bond with our firearms and most of us get along... there are those a-holes (and i seem to attract them) who want to take advantage of everything and everyone around us... and as x-ring said those are the people who will have the aux ranges shut down and a public range closed... and unfortunatly that makes me want to spend money to go do something i enjoy... hopefully we can all hook up sometime and all have a good time...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast